IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The scariest thing you've seen on Palmtalk in a while

MattyB

Remember the spindle palms that I cut down and made a salad out of?  Well, I replaced them with some cryosophila stauracantha a few years ago.  Great little palms.  Surprisingly they take full blazing afternoon sun, even here, 10 miles inland.  But what they will not tolerate is wind.  The leaves just get bent and torn to shreads.  Well, this spot is a primo spot, right as you first enter the back yard so I definitely want something that looks great in this spot.  So, gues what I did?  You guessed it; I karate chopped the heck out of them and sent them to the compost heap.  Please don't kick me out of the palm society.

IMG_0894.JPG

IMG_0895.JPG

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

You may want to avert your eyes and remove young children from the room.

IMG_0898.JPG

IMG_0899.JPG

IMG_0900.JPG

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

But wait, it gets worse....

I've got these two seriously struggling Bentinkia condopanna that I've replaced them with.  These things have been going downhill in my greenhouse for a while.  I figure I better plant them out and at least give them a proper burial.  I know for a fact that these can't take full sun, so I'll put some shadecloth over them if they even live.  But eventually they'll have to take full blazing afternoon sun.  I'm not sure if this is ever gonna work.  I guess you'll probably see another thread soon with me replanting this spot again.  Someday I'll get it dialed in. 

IMG_0901.JPG

IMG_0902.JPG

IMG_0903.JPG

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

4 hours ago, MattyB said:

But wait, it gets worse....

I've got these two seriously struggling Bentinkia condopanna that I've replaced them with.  These things have been going downhill in my greenhouse for a while.  I figure I better plant them out and at least give them a proper burial.  I know for a fact that these can't take full sun, so I'll put some shadecloth over them if they even live.  But eventually they'll have to take full blazing afternoon sun.  I'm not sure if this is ever gonna work.  I guess you'll probably see another thread soon with me replanting this spot again.  Someday I'll get it dialed in. 

IMG_0901.JPG

IMG_0902.JPG

IMG_0903.JPG

I am pretty sure those Benties will croak as mine did last summer

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

5 hours ago, MattyB said:

Look out when Matty gets determined about something, you can see that look in his eyes and it means.... "Danger Will Robinson!"

20160128-LI9A4782.jpg

• Upvote 4

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

36 minutes ago, Tracy said:

Look out when Matty gets determined about something, you can see that look in his eyes and it means.... "Danger Will Robinson!"

20160128-LI9A4782.jpg

his mouth is usually wide open during takeoff. 

seriously, I've seen it in the line up many times :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I'm with Pando..

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

At the risk of seeming serious and not wishing to seem critical, my two Bentinckia condapanas are thriving in full all-day sun (east Hawaii version), in acidic soil, normally lots of rain (we are at 20% of normal for 2016 so far). They stand six ft tall and are developing trunk at the bottoms. So there may be hope, after all.

• Upvote 1

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

I think Matty should be kicked out immediately #1 for palm torture and #2 for riding a short board LOL  :floor: Now seriously good luck on the  bennies I had bad results hear In a similar microclimate planting them that small in full sun it died and the 2nd one I planted in filtered light is still doing well about 6ft overall 3yrs later But you are a palm master and the force is with you Say hi to Jen CHEERS

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

I thought this was going to be about the global warming thread. :lol:

It is. Matty's definitely doing his part...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pando said:

After you rip out the Bennies, try these next. They should last a bit longer.

1899249_229880_5179d326bf_p.jpg

He still might try to eat these.

• Upvote 4

Its ok Matty

I tore out a perfectly good Ravenea rivularis  just because it looked at me the wrong way ! :mrlooney:

angry-kirk.jpg

• Upvote 2

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

And while your at it, take the succulents out in this bed. IMO....they take away from what could be lush and tropical.

• Upvote 3

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

45 minutes ago, Jeff Searle said:

And while your at it, take the succulents out in this bed. IMO....they take away from what could be lush and tropical.

The challenge is that in Matty's and my location we are down to about 9.5" of rainfall a year average... with the recent years dragging that number down.  The succulents end up being a tradeoff, as yo can still water your palms, and let the rest survive on minimal additional irrigation.  If you have already planted your garden in California, be happy... not sure how many followed recent updates by the CA Dept of Water Resources to their "Water Efficient Landscape Ordinance", but our wonderful state is taking the first steps to start regulating what gets planted.  Scary? Read:  California Code of Regulations Title 23, Division 2, Chapter 2.7. Model Water Efficient Landscape Ordinance

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

10 hours ago, Pando said:

You cant go wrong planting a few fruiting coconut palms...

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, MattyB said:

IMG_0898.JPG

IMG_0899.JPG

IMG_0900.JPG

What's up with the ruts...? Why are they growing upwards? :blink::blink::blink:

47 minutes ago, Danilopez89 said:

What's up with the ruts...? Why are they growing upwards? :blink::blink::blink:

It's a rootspine palm :) 

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

My eyes, I cant look...

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

12 hours ago, Pando said:

now were talking

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

15 hours ago, trioderob said:

did you eat them ?

The palms or the kids? ;)

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

Why didn't you just pot the unwanted palms up and relocate them or give them away. Seems like a waste to me.

• Upvote 2

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Nice surf shot Tracy.  JoshO is right, my patented take off face is a very ungraceful open mouth approach. I don't know how I managed to look normal for once.  Maybe it's only my chin down paddle face that's open mouth.  LOL.

Jeff Searle, like Tracy noted, we are on water restrictions so not all areas of my garden are planted out for the lush look.  This particular area is actually part of my xeric garden but I ran one little dripper hose to these two palms so that I could have a taller palmy statement in this spot.  Otherwise this area receives no irrigation from November through April, and then after that it only gets watered once every 21 days to keep the succulents and cycads plump and happy.

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Ok Matt, I keep forgetting that the biggest difference between our gardens is that .........the amount of rainfall we each receive yearly. And it sounds like your restrictions might get even tougher. It's a real battle.

• Upvote 3

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 1 year later...

598dbfe09bdcd_moneyblowingoutoftruck.gif

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 8 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2016‎ ‎2‎:‎56‎:‎44‎, MattyB said:

Remember the spindle palms that I cut down and made a salad out of?  Well, I replaced them with some cryosophila stauracantha a few years ago.  Great little palms.  Surprisingly they take full blazing afternoon sun, even here, 10 miles inland.  But what they will not tolerate is wind.  The leaves just get bent and torn to shreads.  Well, this spot is a primo spot, right as you first enter the back yard so I definitely want something that looks great in this spot.  So, gues what I did?  You guessed it; I karate chopped the shit out of them and sent them to the compost heap.  Please don't kick me out of the palm society.

IMG_0894.JPG

IMG_0895.JPG

I concur with Matty, these palms do not do well in wind. Mine got shredded by Hurricane Irma. Maaty's look way better (or they did) than mine at this point. It's going to take at least two full growing seasons to return to usual form. Been seeding the last few years, but they always abort up to now.

Missi - remember this thread. When you get yours, try to situate in a non windy area of your garden.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

The older I get, the more ruthless I become.  I feel a topic developing, called "Difficult Choices for a Mature Garden".  Just today I decided to remove a Howea belmoreana that has just a mediocre leaf blade.  I've grown it since 2005 from a seedling, and it is about 6 inches diameter at the soil level.  Soon to meet the reciprocating saw and compost bin.  :angry:

• Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

22 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

The older I get, the more ruthless I become.  I feel a topic developing, called "Difficult Choices for a Mature Garden".  Just today I decided to remove a Howea belmoreana that has just a mediocre leaf blade.  I've grown it since 2005 from a seedling, and it is about 6 inches diameter at the soil level.  Soon to meet the reciprocating saw and compost bin.  :angry:

I was looking last night for a spot for a large Dypsis and came upon a 15 food Wodyetia that's been in the ground for like 4 years. I have a feeling it is not long for this world. :evil:

1 hour ago, Matt in OC said:

I was looking last night for a spot for a large Dypsis and came upon a 15 food Wodyetia that's been in the ground for like 4 years. I have a feeling it is not long for this world. :evil:

Evil I say......

:o

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!