IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Heliconia in the Morning Garden

doranakandawatta

We planted some varieties we have found in Colombo flower exhibition but I ignore the names of them.
I am also wondering if these huge plants can be an issue when associated with palms.
They certainly make good compost, but I am afraid they drink and eat too much what the palms need.

We'll see… How about your experiences?

DSCN6267.thumb.JPG.48c5c4a2f0b7b8a6be24aDSCN6355.thumb.JPG.a1e724cd96a0dc16bcf54DSCN6374.thumb.JPG.38d1b7e6e3d007d8616e2DSCN6538.thumb.JPG.7ee20559189ad25f8ade0P1260413.thumb.JPG.50ce273208eb8db1f6d81P1260414.thumb.JPG.73695b90a01603d411aaa

• Upvote 5

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Philippe, I have about forty varieties of heliconias, most are grown in rows for cut flowers but I do use them in my garden. I find the do well planted among the palms ,but do suffer from falling palm fronds.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the photos!

I have many many different kinds of Heliconias as the previous owner is passionate about them.

I am trying to learn more plant names and have joined the active PR Heliconia society.

Because they grow very well here I am in the process of limiting each clump size to make room for more palms of course. They seem to respond well to thinning and I can see the blooms more easily too so it's a win win situation. 

Some low growing forms are vigorous ground covers and help hold the soil and prevent erosion. They look nice underneath some trunking palms too.

Lastly they are quite good for trading with other plant collectors here.

Likely because I did not plant any of them myself, I appreciate them as I walk by, but rarely photograph them. Among recent months, these three are all I could find documented. Yet without heliconias my farm would not be the same!

They are the essence of care free tropical extravagance in form and color.

One day updating the inventory list and placing labels on each clump will reach the top of my list... So far my only step in that direction is the stack of uncut PVC pipes that I use to hold the aluminum labels that await proper placement.

Right now I am busily trying to get plants of all kinds that are in pots into the ground before heading to the Biennial.

IMG_0427.jpg

DSCN9861.JPG

IMG_0437.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Cindy Adair

Thank you for the heliconia pics.  Looking forward when my small clump start flowering.  I hope some of them start this year for me if they do I could post some pics also.