IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Some nice weather... finally..

SailorBold

Winter is on the way out...  if the forecast models hold; it looks like we will be above 64f and sunny until at least Feb. 18!  Low temps not too bad either...30's..  so Ill take it!

I quickly looked around the yard and everything seems to be alright..  it was an 8b-ish winter with a low at 15f.  I don't see any spear damages yet on Butias..  and the hybrids did quite nicely.  It looks like the JxQ is fine also and may have grown a bit.  There was certainly more damage last winter with a similar temp. 

It may not be over yet but I am going to enjoy the weather for now! it doesn't happen often.

How is everyone doing ?

• Upvote 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

I just checked out the temperatures for the country and saw that the southwest is finally seeing some nice weather; ya'll deserve it! It's our turn now. All day today I've been hearing whipping winds outside my window. Canada is sending us it's love. So your J x Q is unscathed? Just a wall 'o water correct?

After having a few days in the 60’s and sunny where back in a mild rainy pattern. Lots of spring bulbs and some perennial starting to come up. I put some of my container plants out for the year and the rest will come out in March and April. This winter low was colder at 19F but I have less damage than last years 21F on my tree fern. Planted some elephant ears this week inside to get a jump on them.  Weather wise everything is on schedule,  Since January 1st the average daily temps have gone up 7 degrees and go’s up about one degree every 7 days this month. Can’t wait for spring!!! My little project this year is all about cactus, adding a few this spring. 

After a warm start, this final stretch of winter has been fairly ordinary, aside from the excessive amount of snow. I can't complain though, it's done an excellent job of insulating my Trachycarpus fortunei.

We haven't gone below the mid-teens yet, but that'll change this weekend when we drop into the lower single digits. I knew I wouldn't make it out of winter completely unscathed, although if the snow doesn't melt all the way I might. The brutal cold will be short lived, right after that we "warm" back up into the 40's. Can't wait until spring.

February 21, had a short freeze here at 32F. Dang it! Nothing damaged, lol.  :o
That makes two 32F in February for a low, not bad at all. :D

6 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

February 21, had a short freeze here at 32F. Dang it! Nothing damaged, lol.  :o
That makes two 32F in February for a low, not bad at all. :D

I hate it when that happens. I'll have a streak of consecutive freeze free days and the forecast will say something like, 35 for a low. And it'll bottom out at 32 for an hour or so and it kills my streak Lol

Pretty close to 70+ for the last little bit. 77 Today :)

My King sustained some damage however from the really cold week we had late Dec. Grrrrr

On February 23, 2016 2:44:11 PM, smithgn said:

I hate it when that happens. I'll have a streak of consecutive freeze free days and the forecast will say something like, 35 for a low. And it'll bottom out at 32 for an hour or so and it kills my streak Lol

This week has been really nice, foggy in morning but sunny and mild in afternoons, low 60s. March is the foggiest month here, but some times it doesn’t last long, especially if it’s a warm spring.  Cheers! 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2016‎ ‎1‎:‎47‎:‎28‎, smithgn said:

I just checked out the temperatures for the country and saw that the southwest is finally seeing some nice weather; ya'll deserve it! It's our turn now. All day today I've been hearing whipping winds outside my window. Canada is sending us it's love. So your J x Q is unscathed? Just a wall 'o water correct?

Ill post an update in a few days maybe today...  Yeah low of 15f..  I did cover the wall o water with a fender mat in December when the low was 16f but after that just the wall o water for the 15f.

I'm pretty sure it didn't stop growing but I wont know until I have a comparison pic when I remove the wall o water.

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2016‎ ‎4‎:‎09‎:‎36‎, Palm crazy said:

This week has been really nice, foggy in morning but sunny and mild in afternoons, low 60s. March is the foggiest month here, but some times it doesn’t last long, especially if it’s a warm spring.  Cheers! 

Still a great end to winter...  phew!  Here we can expect light freezes here on out so time to start working in the yard again.  I don't know if my bougainvillea survived yet but it should be starting to regrow here in a bit.

What kinds of cactus are you adding this year?

11 hours ago, SailorBold said:

Ill post an update in a few days maybe today...  Yeah low of 15f..  I did cover the wall o water with a fender mat in December when the low was 16f but after that just the wall o water for the 15f.

I'm pretty sure it didn't stop growing but I wont know until I have a comparison pic when I remove the wall o water.

Impressive. Look forward to the pics man

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2016‎ ‎12‎:‎51‎:‎51‎, cm05 said:

Quick flip to spring here, almost 80 degrees today. Had a brief sun shower as well.

Nice...  how did the trachies fare?   Did you unwrap yet? 

On March 12, 2016 at 2:22:34 AM, SailorBold said:

Nice...  how did the trachies fare?   Did you unwrap yet? 

Did much better than I expected, but it was a relatively mild winter. No visible damage at all, at least not yet, I know it can take months for damage to manifest in some cases. I was prepared to wrap it, but I didn't have to, I did cover it from rain and snow however.

On March 10, 2016 8:49:52 AM, SailorBold said:

Still a great end to winter...  phew!  Here we can expect light freezes here on out so time to start working in the yard again.  I don't know if my bougainvillea survived yet but it should be starting to regrow here in a bit.

What kinds of cactus are you adding this year?

I’m not sure what types of cactus I will try. So far I have ‘old man of the andes’ and one blue column cactus. And I plan on growing some from a cactus seed mix. Most are going to be in pots I think, still thinking on how to grow them here in a very wet cold climate. I also want to try some aloes also…hardy and non hardy ones. Biggest obstacle is our very grey low heat winters. So high elevation cactus might be the best for me. Have to wait and see what I can fine locally. Will keep you all informed as the cactus garden grows. 

Love the Aloinopsis you posted, looks really exotic and love that pink and orange flower combination. 

Edited by Palm crazy