IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pygmy date palm

Blake johnson

I live in southern Georgia (zone 8b) and have my first Pygmy date palm that is fairly large. This winter of 2015 had a light maybe 1hr of snowing with temps getting to exactly 32 degrees. My Pygmy date palm was covered with about 3 old bed sheets and rapped in Christmas lights but still got severely burned during the cold. The fronds are now solid brown but the newest ones nearest to the spear still have some green. Will my palm survive?

Do you have any photos you can  share? That would make it easier to offer some opinions.

Also, mark the spear with a small dot from a marker/sharpie.  This will help you tell if the spear is still growing. 

Here is a picture of the Pygmy. During the storm I had it wrapped in Christmas lights and under about 3 old bed sheets. And thanks for the welcome!

image.jpg

Well, it does look pretty thrashed.   But it looks like there is enough green to have some hope.   If you were in a dry climate like here in CA or in Arizona, I would suggest treating the crown with hydrogen peroxide. 

Where you live, you might consider spraying some daconil or copper fungicide into the crown.  Just will help the palm in its weakened state. 

Some might suggest trimming up all the fried leaves.  I would wait until the petioles are brown too.  Cutting live tissue will create an entry point for pathogens.   Again, the palm is stressed right now.

Finally, you might check on the Cold Hardy forum here on PT.  There are a number of people who have built some great temporary shelters for palms.  They might give you some ideas for improving cold weather protection. 

Hope these thoughts are helpful. 

The bad news is that you posted this in the wrong forum. The good news is that your pigmy will survive another year.

You will loose the pigmy if you only protect it with lights and sheets and the temp falls below 20 degrees. 

On February 6, 2016 at 8:42:01 PM, Blake johnson said:

Here is a picture of the Pygmy. During the storm I had it wrapped in Christmas lights and under about 3 old bed sheets. And thanks for the welcome!

image.jpg

I'm in Montgomery, Alabama and this is the first winter since I planted my Pygmy Dates. I put a portable greenhouse over it and on freezing nights I place a small heater inside. We've been as low as 25F and it looks as healthy as can be. 

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

On February 11, 2016 at 2:27:36 PM, Blake johnson said:

And we've actually had a pretty mild winter the lowest it's got so far is about 30 degrees

I've left it over since November because it's tied down with stakes. I plan to take it down by early to mid-March.

I'm shocked yours received that kind of damage from a light freeze, they're more tender than I thought. Hopefully it will recover well this spring. Do you have any plans to protect it tomorrow night? It's supposed to be 27F here for a couple of hours. 

It's supposed to get to 36 degrees tonight and 28 tomorrow night then after that it doesn't get below the 40s for a week and a half but yes I plan to wrap the fronds up with Christmas lights and put some bed sheets around it

Blake, I'd suggest some big cardboard boxes as long as you are not expecting moisture and if possible use the c7 style lights.  The mini lights don't produce enough heat.  Especially with just the thin sheets.

However, be careful to keep the c7 bulb off of green plant material as they are likely to burn the leaves.