IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ceratozamia hardiness

redbeard917

I'd like to hear reports of cold hardiness about the various Ceratozamia species. Looking online, there are a bunch of species available now that I'm not familiar with. I have grown C. hildae, latifolia, and kuesteriana, and they've never had any damage from cold, even here in zone 8. But I haven't had them very long, and they are under the protection of a large evergreen oak. I suspect some of the other species may need warmer weather. Any experience with growing species in this genera is welcome and appreciated.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

Except for a couple of the new ones, I've just about grown them all. I have not tested the cold hardy ones to full extent, but I sell to customers who do test them lower, like a nursery owner in Raleigh NC, who is growing the three you mention outside without protection for the last 3-4 years. I am assuming you are talking about burnt leaves and not stem death temperatures? Keep in mind I am also dealing with the diet Dustin freeze events we have here in Florida. As an example, a hildae might take 13 for a few hours just fine, but if it was 3 days at 13, it could outright die. Temperatures are subjective depending on a lot of factors.

Hildae 10-12, Kuesteriana 13, latifolia 12, microstrobila 14, true mexicana 14, sp. Tamasunchale 12, miqueliana 23, Santiago Tuxla robusta 25, euryphyllidia 23, hondurensis 23, norstogii 22-23, mirandae 23, sabatoi 23, sp. Palma Sola 22, sp. green emergent latifolia type that people are calling mexicana here in FL 23, whitelockiana 23,sp. Pres Alemans 23, red backs 18.

Tom

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, cycadjungle said:

Except for a couple of the new ones, I've just about grown them all. I have not tested the cold hardy ones to full extent, but I sell to customers who do test them lower, like a nursery owner in Raleigh NC, who is growing the three you mention outside without protection for the last 3-4 years. I am assuming you are talking about burnt leaves and not stem death temperatures? Keep in mind I am also dealing with the diet Dustin freeze events we have here in Florida. As an example, a hildae might take 13 for a few hours just fine, but if it was 3 days at 13, it could outright die. Temperatures are subjective depending on a lot of factors.

Hildae 10-12, Kuesteriana 13, latifolia 12, microstrobila 14, true mexicana 14, sp. Tamasunchale 12, miqueliana 23, Santiago Tuxla robusta 25, euryphyllidia 23, hondurensis 23, norstogii 22-23, mirandae 23, sabatoi 23, sp. Palma Sola 22, sp. green emergent latifolia type that people are calling mexicana here in FL 23, whitelockiana 23,sp. Pres Alemans 23, red backs 18.

Tom

Agree with TXcoldhardy, GREAT info Tom. Have just C. hilade and a couple latifolia seedlings atm but would enjoy trying more down the road. Really had my eye on C. norstogii lately.

Norstogii, or what used to be called plumosa, is a great little plant. Twisted leaves that emerge purpleish in color. Not as cold hardy, but still nice. They take a long time to grow into a decent sized plant though. My seedlings from my breeding 20 years ago are just now getting 3-4 inches. Hildaes, as an example will totally mature in 4-5 years and would be 4-5 inches. If someone were to get bored with hildaes, I am growing regular hildaes, brown emergent hildaes, and totally spineless hildaes. I have also segregated hildaes that genetically tend to produce offsets faster, which means they turn into a big cluster much faster. I use my leaf cutting technique on those and can get them to grow 3-4 years worth of flushes each year ( average 7 flushes a year) to make them huge plants in a short period of time. I have about 7000 hildae plants, so I HAVE to play with them.