IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

URRRGG...the ficus Trioderopsis died from the frost

trioderob

On 2/12/2016, 6:19:20, trioderob said:

Here is what i love about this place.

you post a thread giving possibly important info.

you get no money for taking your time to post it.

yet invariably - there will be complainers

No complaints--just laughter at predicting your next moves of not posting pics(pictures are the IMPORTANT INFO you speak of, however, it's only important to you, as you have seen it--taken a picture in your head--none of us have any of that info. And what few pics you have given in the past, have usually been contradictory to your conclusions). Knowing what we know about you, makes all this funny. Thank you! ...how is that for a complaint.

ANDY-

I dont need to take a photo of a plant that died to make you happy

Please just go away if you dont like my threads.

Edited by trioderob

For those of you who haven't seen this great tree, I will post a photo of my still small Ficus dammaropsis who started life in California.

Any excuse to stop sweeping and dusting in preparation for visitors and play in my jungle. Actually I got help for three hours from an excellent worker who cleared this area a couple of days ago. As you can see in the background, before a photo would have been a challenge with my weeds taller than the tree.

If anyone has a photo of a big one like one I recall at the San Diego zoo I would love to see it too! 

DSCN9569.thumb.JPG.68c142e3abc22d25578b7

DSCN9566.thumb.JPG.d62c82dc458ed11d0e3d6

So sorry you lost yours. I hate cold!

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

11 minutes ago, Cindy Adair said:

For those of you who haven't seen this great tree, I will post a photo of my still small Ficus dammaropsis who started life in California.

Any excuse to stop sweeping and dusting in preparation for visitors and play in my jungle. Actually I got help for three hours from an excellent worker who cleared this area a couple of days ago. As you can see in the background, before a photo would have been a challenge with my weeds taller than the tree.

If anyone has a photo of a big one like one I recall at the San Diego zoo I would love to see it too! 

DSCN9569.thumb.JPG.68c142e3abc22d25578b7

DSCN9566.thumb.JPG.d62c82dc458ed11d0e3d6

So sorry you lost yours. I hate cold!

The Ficus looks great!

Thank you so much for the San Diego zoo picture! What a gorgeous tree!

I wonder how many of us were inspired by this particular tree to try to grow one?

Of course I saw this species on Palm Talk first as with so many trees on my "wish list".

Thanks to Jeff Rood for mine!

Cindy Adair

On 2/16/2016, 12:54:46, trioderob said:

ANDY-

I dont need to take a photo of a plant that died to make you happy

Please just go away if you dont like my threads.

I never said I like or dislike you--you exist solely in my mind when I read 'your' quotes. Whether you are a real person or not doesn't factor into my mind; I enjoy Palmtalk and you are no more than a character I encounter from time to time. I find humor in your absurdity at times and the fact that you often perpetuate it, but seem not to get it. That's all. 

• Upvote 1

On February 14, 2016 at 22:10:40, rprimbs said:

Wow, what happened with our weather? I was gone for 2 weeks and I just got back.  My poor coconut was in a pot under the eves of house -- and it didn't get water and it is burned to a crisp and dead... My bottle palm in the ground is burned to a crisp too, but it should recover.  Even the avocado trees are burnt!  What happened?

of 

Santa Anas. My Chambeyronias are getting a decent size and then all of a sudden with this warm weather started getting burned really quick. Thankfully it has cooled now and it will hopefully be a bit more moderate going forward.

Here's my smallest one, of four I have inground....but easiest to photograph....

About 8 ft tall growing in my backyard in Modesto , ca.

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

14 hours ago, Mandrew968 said:

I never said I like or dislike you--you exist solely in my mind when I read 'your' quotes. Whether you are a real person or not doesn't factor into my mind; I enjoy Palmtalk and you are no more than a character I encounter from time to time. I find humor in your absurdity at times and the fact that you often perpetuate it, but seem not to get it. That's all. 

OK -

school me about how to grow palms - I am all ears

3 hours ago, JEFF IN MODESTO said:

Here's my smallest one, of four I have inground....but easiest to photograph....

About 8 ft tall growing in my backyard in Modesto , ca.

image.jpeg

Jeff, how cold has your's seen? I remember you frost shadow thread last year with you D. Decipiens.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Coldest it saw was 27f, but I think it only did good because I put an umbrella over it during the coldest night.

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

I don't think frost was the major factor of its death. Mine got the crap knocked out of it when I went  below 32 for a week straight and it still came back strong. This year I had no damage other that wind and I got plenty of frost. There's no way your micro climate is worse than mine. 

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

1 hour ago, Stevetoad said:

I don't think frost was the major factor of its death. Mine got the crap knocked out of it when I went  below 32 for a week straight and it still came back strong. This year I had no damage other that wind and I got plenty of frost. There's no way your micro climate is worse than mine. 

I,ve never had temps below 32f for a week straight... a couple hours at most. But If it did get that cold.... most of my garden would be toast. My FD was damaged under the patio in a pot at 31f, toasted dead at some temp below 30f.

Growing fast now that spring has sprung. So the things aren't bothered by cold soil temps.

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

7 hours ago, JEFF IN MODESTO said:

I,ve never had temps below 32f for a week straight... a couple hours at most. But If it did get that cold.... most of my garden would be toast. My FD was damaged under the patio in a pot at 31f, toasted dead at some temp below 30f.

Growing fast now that spring has sprung. So the things aren't bothered by cold soil temps.

I wasn't a solid under 32 for a week. But every night for a week saw 32f. And it looked horrible. Even back budded because the stem tipped died back. This year nothing though. It gets beat up a bit in the high heat though too. Got frost too. Maybe since I get that cold every year it's getting tougher. And here's a PHOTO. 

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

It looks good.

32f, temps rarely hurt anything in my garden .

once I get below 31.9f action starts quickly.

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

1 hour ago, JEFF IN MODESTO said:

It looks good.

32f, temps rarely hurt anything in my garden .

once I get below 31.9f action starts quickly.

I hear ya. I'm now to lazy to cover anything though. So now if it burns bad it out. 

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Mine had some leaf drop this year, but is coming back.

I'm wondering how to trim/maintain it.  It's getting pretty darn big.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37