IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

stupid coconut

doranakandawatta

As I went to visit User00 in his place, not far from Kandy and Peradeniya (lucky him), he showed me a quite rare variety of coconut, called "gon thambili" or "stupid coconut", he told me I should make photos we could share on Palmtalk:

56adee0b492e7_P1250899copie.thumb.JPG.3b56adee1b09b8a_P1250901copie.thumb.JPG.e956adee22b971a_P1250902copie.thumb.JPG.ae56adee1399ec4_P1250900copie.thumb.JPG.f656adee28e9fbe_P1250903copie.thumb.JPG.b3

• Upvote 3

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

People don't like to plant this coconut verity because it's water is not taste,thin coconut meat, produce little coconut milk from meat, little amount of coconut oil 

call this name 

i know only 10 of this tree , but i have one tree 

• Upvote 2

Interesting! So it's not very useful for any of the food products, so no one grows it. I wonder how the variety originated if that's the case. 

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I personally have never tried sweet coconut water (they say green malayans have it), the only ones we have in the supermarket, though they have plenty of meat (I guess since I don't have a reference:) ). This coconut might be stupid in that regard but it sure looks very fine regardless, I like how this stupid coconut looks.

• Upvote 2

I just don't understand why people gave it a bad name " stupid coconut ". May be they picked this variety coconut to grow in a place that people only harvest coconut for making oil. Clearly ,this variety is for drinking and eating flesh. Though, its juice is not that sweet like the green variety , but overall it is good for drinking and best for eating flesh. May be , because it grown too tall.  There is variety on the market like this one with a shorter trunk easy for collecting nuts . May be  they picked the nuts at the wrong time....etc

Green or this red/ flame varieties , to be able to enjoy good taste of its water and meat, you have to pick the nut at the right time. Too young, it will have no or less meat with sour juice. Too old , it will have hard meat with juice less sweet. Look at the # 3 picture from top down, there are three bunches of nuts on top. Those are too young for picking. Three bunches below of those , which the two on the far left are good for eating/drinking. The one on the far right bellow is old. Let this turn brown a little more and harvest for cooking or let it turn completely full brown colour ,then use it for making oil / seedling.

Beautiful, healthy coconut tree.   Thanks for sharing.  Kenneth Nguyen

Edited by WonderKeeper
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, WonderKeeper said:

I just don't understand why people gave it a bad name " stupid coconut ". May be they picked this variety coconut to grow in a place that people only harvest coconut for making oil. Clearly ,this variety is for drinking and eating flesh. Though, its juice is not that sweet like the green variety , but overall it is good for drinking and best for eating flesh. May be , because it grown too tall.  There is variety on the market like this one with a shorter trunk easy for collecting nuts . May be  they picked the nuts at the wrong time....etc

Green or this red/ flame varieties , to be able to enjoy good taste of its water and meat, you have to pick the nut at the right time. Too young, it will have no or less meat with sour juice. Too old , it will have hard meat with juice less sweet. Look at the first picture, there are three bunches of nuts on top. Those are too young for picking. Three bunches below of those , which the two on the far left are good for eating/drinking. The one on the far right bellow is old. Let this turn brown a little more and harvest for cooking or let it turn completely full brown colour ,then use it for making oil / seedling.

User00,  Can you explain how you use (or don't use) this coconut? what are people doing otherwise?

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

58 minutes ago, WonderKeeper said:

Green or this red/ flame varieties , to be able to enjoy good taste of its water and meat, you have to pick the nut at the right time. Too young, it will have no or less meat with sour juice. Too old , it will have hard meat with juice less sweet. Look at the # 3 picture from top down, there are three bunches of nuts on top. Those are too young for picking. Three bunches below of those , which the two on the far left are good for eating/drinking. The one on the far right bellow is old. Let this turn brown a little more and harvest for cooking or let it turn completely full brown colour ,then use it for making oil / seedling.

actually i love this coconut cultivar , it's beautiful than other species 

but people here  grow coconut for economical benefits mainly for coconut milk and oil so the meat inside coconut is the most important this coconut has thin meat layer of all coconut varietys and water is also not taste like king coconut, so people  like to grow  another coconut variety for more economical benefit i know less than 10trees of this and have one in garden 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

large one is the' stupid coconut'  picked when it' s good for use, it told this cultivar meat formation is thin when you compare with other

small  one is green coconut 

20160131_220146.jpg

20160131_214959.jpg

Edited by User00
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I just had to click on this because of the title, but it's a fine looking tree all the same. All the endless praise coconuts get on this forum I love that there is actually a variety that is called "stupid coconut". 

• Upvote 2

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

I wish I could grow a "stupid coconut" :) 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

4 hours ago, Cluster said:

I personally have never tried sweet coconut water (they say green malayans have it), the only ones we have in the supermarket, though they have plenty of meat (I guess since I don't have a reference:) ). This coconut might be stupid in that regard but it sure looks very fine regardless, I like how this stupid coconut looks.

Me too, Pedro.  I was thinking the same thing.  For those of us not growing them for commercial production, it might still be a good landscape variety, especially if it is a little more cold/cool hardy than some of the commonly grown landscaping varieties.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Danilopez89 said:
3 hours ago, Josh-O said:

I wish I could grow a "stupid coconut" :) 

Me too

I did, but it was stupid.  :mrlooney:

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Me too, Pedro.  I was thinking the same thing.  For those of us not growing them for commercial production, it might still be a good landscape variety, especially if it is a little more cold/cool hardy than some of the commonly grown landscaping varieties.

John, I thought you had some green malayan coconuts in/near corpus christi for you it should be doable to try one of those. I bet the sweet coconut water is a very nice refreshment. Has someone here tasted the green malayan coco water or equivalent?

On the other hand I understand that if you do see one surviving in your location eating the fruit might actually be a crime as a surviving mature green malayan in your location has some nice genes for sure.

14 minutes ago, Cluster said:

John, I thought you had some green malayan coconuts in/near corpus christi for you it should be doable to try one of those. I bet the sweet coconut water is a very nice refreshment. Has someone here tasted the green malayan coco water or equivalent?

On the other hand I understand that if you do see one surviving in your location eating the fruit might actually be a crime as a surviving mature green malayan in your location has some nice genes for sure.

Pedro, for the most part I have had to give up on trying to grow the Malayans as much as I like them.  They are just too sensitive to prolonged chilly damp weather that we occasionally get here in the winter time.  I lost the 3 that I had in the ground, even the one that was starting to recover from last year's chilly and damp winter.  With that said, I did take a leap of faith and planted a Yellow Malayan Dwarf in my front yard (I have photos of my coconut palms I have planted over the last couple of weeks here on Palmtalk.).  The Yellow Malayan is probably the least cold hardy of the 3 Malayan varieties, but I sure love the bright yellow color of it.  It sprouted from a beach coconut my Palm Society friend and collected last May when we collected about 120 nuts off the beach at Padre Island, so other than the cost of potting soil and water, it really isn't much of an investment in case I lose it, and being a Malayan Dwarf, if it does survive and takes off and grows, it will have its first flowers on it in about 3 years.  My others that I have recently planted are a Jamaican Tall, a Maypan hybrid, a Mexican Tall, and a Maymex hybrid.  These should all be more cold hardy than any of the Malayans I have tried to grow, with the Mexican Tall being the most cold hardy and the Jamaican Tall being the second most cold hardy.  The Jamaican Tall and the Maypan, I got from a Palmtalk friend in Melbourne Beach, Florida as little sprouts last Spring, but the Mexican Tall and the Maymex are from beach coconuts collected here last year.

John

Maybe "Stupid" but at least its pretty.  I'd be happy to have a whole grove if they all looked so nice.  

• Upvote 1

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

9 hours ago, User00 said:

large one is the' stupid coconut'  picked when it' s good for use, it told this cultivar meat formation is thin when you compare with other

20160131_220146.jpg

20160131_214959.jpg

9 hours ago, User00 said:

20160131_220146.jpg

20160131_214959.jpg

Even though , the green one on the left has thicker flesh than the " stupid coconut " on the right, but it smaller. With that , I would think 2 of them would have about the same amount of meat, don't you think. These two are too old for eating/drinking . They are good for making coconut milk ,oil, candy or cooking. For eating/drinking , its flesh should be 1/2 or 1/3 thickness of a coconut on the right in picture. It should soft , easy scoop up with a spoon and it should hold up itself , when you pick it with your fingers. If the meat in coconut  is too thin ,break and drop when you scoop it, then it may be too young for eating/drinking.  Very good pictures. Thanks for posting it. 

• 2 weeks later...

wooow...  I like stupid coconut...  used it to make an value added to be a high value ornamental plant like these......

224317_1678399934104_2708629_n.jpg

1314_3232736114679_711878960_n.jpg

1314_3232736034677_896901733_n.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

• 5 years later...

The first thing that stands out to me is a massive amount of coconuts on it. It's holding what looks like 4 or 5 times the number of what I've usually seen, but I could be mistaken...

• Like 1