Chamaedorea tuerckheimii in Pots

172 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

One month ago I noticed that the undersides of the blades were infested again by spider mites although I had sprayed them daily with water, so I changed my method and dipped the palms into water with Palmolive dish-soap. And it worked excellent: The leaves didn’t suffer any damage at all and the mites died all together after a couple of days.

Very good! I like the fact that these palms will stay at a dippable size.

20180521_180244.jpg

20180521_180232.jpg

Here again my smallest Tuerckheim baby :wub: just after a bath with Palmolive® dish soap; :greenthumb: since I am using that soap there didn’t appear even one spider mite :evil: …

5b12c08f1a4c4_N15042018-06-02P1040600.th

1 hour ago, Pal Meir said:

Here again my smallest Tuerckheim baby :wub: just after a bath with Palmolive® dish soap; :greenthumb: since I am using that soap there didn’t appear even one spider mite :evil: …

5b12c08f1a4c4_N15042018-06-02P1040600.th

just perfect!

Pal,

I'm in love with this palm.... Is there any reliable source for seeds as seedlings aren't available?

I need to ad this to my Chamaedorea collection.

Eckhard

Development of 10th leaf of palm N°1504 after 7 and 17 days from a caterpillar into a butterfly:

5b185f394ad1d_N15042018-05-20P1040552.th

5b185f3f163c7_N15042018-05-27P1040572.th

5b185f460047d_N15042018-06-06P1040639.th

That is gorgeous

Superb, Thank you for sharing this with us. 

@Pal Meir

How exactly do you use the Palmolive soap?

1 hour ago, Alcibiades said:

@Pal Meir

How exactly do you use the Palmolive soap?

C. 10 ml Palm(!)olive in 5 l water. :greenthumb:B)

On 6/21/2018, 3:50:49, Pal Meir said:

C. 10 ml Palm(!)olive in 5 l water. :greenthumb:B)

Thanks a lot. I will try this out but i will use another soap without palmoil. The company responsible for palmolive got the worst score from Greenpeace in regard to deforestation and the responsible use of palmoil.

https://www.greenpeace.de/sites/www.greenpeace.de/files/publications/20160303_greenpeace_indonesien_palmscorecard.pdf

You could try liquid castille soap. Most of that is made of olive or coconut oil, contains no detergents and is kind to palm leaves.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• All My Cham tuercks: Spring 2018
      By PalmatierMeg
      For several years I posted photos of my 5 potted Chamaedorea tuerckheimii that I took every spring and fall when I gave them their semi-annual checkups and fertilization. Normally I keep them in shade in my back yard jungle where I can look in on them but otherwise let them commune with Nature. I've learned that these are palms that hate to be toyed with, worried over or put on display - they grow for me on their terms only. I'm fine with that. However, in fall 2016 I knew they need to be repotted (2-3 years in one pot is enough). I approach repotting with surgical care & precision but this time the two smallest palms took issue with my actions. Both went into decline and died within a few months. I was so bummed I took no photos last year.
      I've had no luck germinating seeds but I decided to bite the bullet and ordered 4 seedlings from Floribunda. So far those are doing great for me. Then last fall I bought 2 1g from Scott Cohen. I just finished my spring checkup on my 9 Cham tuercks and took the following photos today. I estimate the largest, bought from Dale Holten in 2011, to be 22-24" tall. The second & third tallest are 15-18" tall.
      Chamaedorea tuerckheimii x9

• Big Oops...
      By PalmTreeDude
      So I forgot to bring my Coconut palm in a pot in last night... The tempature got down to 34 degrees F and there was frost in the yard. Do you think it will be ok? 

• Chamaedorea hybridization?
      By Cindy Adair
      For learning about a genus it is easier for me to see different related species nearby.
      However aesthetically I would much rather have several of the same species together, but not too close to similar ones. 
      Thus I plan to put my two C. sullivaniorum seedlings

in a different spot than my 5 little C. tuerckheimii trees (3 girls, 1 boy and 1 unknown)

I have heard that many Coccothrinax species interbreed easily.
      Is that of any concern between Chamaedoreas or within the Licualas?

Sadly only one lonely C. amabilis.... Unless any of you have a source of more?

2 C. frondosas although I think I have a third somewhere.
      As to Licualas, right now my 1 L. cordata (bottom left) and 2 L. orbicularis look alike to me, but no flowers yet.

Or should I worry more about the chance of snow in the tropics than hybridization of most palms? Thanks!
    • What Is The Longest Time You Went Without Water a Palm In a Pot?
      By PalmTreeDude
      What is the longest time period a palm of yours went in a pot without being watered? Yes, rain counts as being watered. For me it was about one month. 
    • C. elegans
      By topwater
      C. elegans, the most underrated palm ever.  It grows everywhere on earth, requires little attention, and its gorgeous.  I found the one on the right last week at my local sprawlmart, removed 90% of the seedlings and got this triple.  I'd love to see more.   Eventually they'll go to to the garden, until then I enjoy them up close.     My last dollar for scale.