Chamaedorea tuerckheimii in Pots

176 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

One month ago I noticed that the undersides of the blades were infested again by spider mites although I had sprayed them daily with water, so I changed my method and dipped the palms into water with Palmolive dish-soap. And it worked excellent: The leaves didn’t suffer any damage at all and the mites died all together after a couple of days.

Very good! I like the fact that these palms will stay at a dippable size.

20180521_180244.jpg

20180521_180232.jpg

Here again my smallest Tuerckheim baby :wub: just after a bath with Palmolive® dish soap; :greenthumb: since I am using that soap there didn’t appear even one spider mite :evil: …

5b12c08f1a4c4_N15042018-06-02P1040600.th

1 hour ago, Pal Meir said:

Here again my smallest Tuerckheim baby :wub: just after a bath with Palmolive® dish soap; :greenthumb: since I am using that soap there didn’t appear even one spider mite :evil: …

5b12c08f1a4c4_N15042018-06-02P1040600.th

just perfect!

Pal,

I'm in love with this palm.... Is there any reliable source for seeds as seedlings aren't available?

I need to ad this to my Chamaedorea collection.

Eckhard

Development of 10th leaf of palm N°1504 after 7 and 17 days from a caterpillar into a butterfly:

5b185f394ad1d_N15042018-05-20P1040552.th

5b185f3f163c7_N15042018-05-27P1040572.th

5b185f460047d_N15042018-06-06P1040639.th

That is gorgeous

Superb, Thank you for sharing this with us. 

@Pal Meir

How exactly do you use the Palmolive soap?

1 hour ago, Alcibiades said:

@Pal Meir

How exactly do you use the Palmolive soap?

C. 10 ml Palm(!)olive in 5 l water. :greenthumb:B)

On 6/21/2018, 3:50:49, Pal Meir said:

C. 10 ml Palm(!)olive in 5 l water. :greenthumb:B)

Thanks a lot. I will try this out but i will use another soap without palmoil. The company responsible for palmolive got the worst score from Greenpeace in regard to deforestation and the responsible use of palmoil.

https://www.greenpeace.de/sites/www.greenpeace.de/files/publications/20160303_greenpeace_indonesien_palmscorecard.pdf

You could try liquid castille soap. Most of that is made of olive or coconut oil, contains no detergents and is kind to palm leaves.

12th leaf of N°1501, still bright green:

5b9e780e0a5fa_N15012018-09-09IMG_9501.th

… and the remaining three palms together after having cleaned all older formerly infested leaves:

5b9e7d6fb6184_N150102042018-09-16IMG_951

No new infestation by spider mites since the treatment with soap. :greenthumb::)

Happy birth… err … germinationday, N°1502!

5bdccf7f47332_N150102042018-11-02P104094

Pal,

this picture drives me crazy. This is one of the palms on top of my wishlist.

Eckhard

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Who Grows Larger Sabal minor In Pots?
      By PalmTreeDude
      Who here grows larger (as in older) Sabal minor in pots? How is their growth rate? I might put a bunch in pots because I may end up moving (locally) and it would suck if I planted a bunch in the ground just to leave them in the next year. 
    • All my Cham tuercks - Fall 2018
      By PalmatierMeg
      I haven't posted this topic for the past 18 months, mainly because I was bummed after I lost two of my 5 Chamaedorea tuerckheimii after I repotted them. It would be tempting to leave them in their pots forever but the potting mix eventually breaks down and causes major problems. Even though I was careful as possible, two of my medium palms developed damping-off-like infections that were ultimately fatal. This palm is notoriously tricky to grow and exists in one of two states: healthy or dead. I'm amazed I still have my largest Cham tuerck, purchased from Dale Holton in 2011. What is the secret to growing them? I truly don't know but have a few thoughts.
      First, I keep them in pots, not in the ground. My alkaline calcareous soil is dreadful and I don't dare risk planting such expensive palms. I also don't know if nematodes are a problem here. Second, I keep them outdoors year round (I don't keep houseplants at all) on plastic shelf units deep under canopy in my jungle - deep shade, little to no sun. They love high humidity and warmth but are not fond of FL's hot summer days and sweltering nights. But deep under canopy in my jungle, temps can be 10-15 degrees cooler than ambient temps. Now that cooler weather is here they will be much happier and less stressed as long as I make sure the irrigation waters them. The downside is they are out of sight and not on display as eye candy but I am willing to make that tradeoff. I check on them every week or so but otherwise leave them alone. I believe fussing and fretting over them would cause more harm than good.
      Otherwise, I give them full checkups every spring and fall. Today I showered them, trimmed their leaves. flushed their pots with distilled water to wash away accumulated salts, drenched soil with imidacloprid insecticide, fertilized them with time release pellets and sprayed them for spider mites (alternately with Ardent or Floramite). Cham tuercks are spider mite magnets and typical insecticides don't kill mites. This summer has been particularly intense and they show a bit of stress.
      Then I took the following photos. Since I lost 2 of my 5 palms 18 months ago, I have managed to obtain small ones from Floribunda and Scott Cohen. I also managed to germinate 6 of 10 seeds I got from RPS. Now if I can get them all to survive. Growing this palm is a marathon, not a sprint.
      Chamaedorea tuerckheimii, Cape Coral, FL, Fall 2018

• How Deep Should I Pot Up Palm Seedlings?
      By PalmTreeDude
      How deep should I pot up my palm seedlings? I need to repot all of these in a better draining mix and simply because I believe they are too deeply potted now. How deep should I pot them? I was thinking about this deep (picture), the blue line represents the soil level I am thinking of potting them up at, does this seem right? 

• Lights For Palms During The Winter - Does Anyone Think These Will Work?
      By PalmTreeDude
      So as the days get shorter and cooler, I eventually will not be able to keep my potted palms outside. I am wanting to get a smaller growing light for my potted palms and other plants as well, I was thinking of getting this one since it is a reasonable size. Do you think it will allow the palms to still grow throughout the winter well and get the light they need? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CJ98X5C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_0aPVBb8YMYN3G

• Weird Worm Things In Slime on Soil
      By PalmTreeDude
      So I looked at the top of the soil that I have my Sabal minor in and there is a weird slime. I thought it was mold or something so I put it in the sun (to hopefully kill it) and when I put it in the sun I noticed it looked like it was sparkling, like water in a lake. I looked closer and there are these tiny worm or maggot things in it. Does anyone know what these are and how to get rid of them? Are they harmful?