Your Oldest Palms in Pots

44 posts in this topic

Please post pics of your oldest potted palms.

I’ll start with two photos, one of two Chamaedorea elegans taken in 2015 at an age of 43 years, another of Chamaerops humilis taken in 2008 when it was 28 years old.

56a8ea283dad5_Chamaedoreaelegans2015-06-

56a8ea6b98e49_Chamaerops_22008-09-26.thu

I have a couple of Chamaerops from the early  90's still in pots. The plants themselves are in much better condition than the pots. Sunshine, temperature fluctuation and strong root  production because of dryness turn pots in to pieces.

Pal, I can't even come close to your pot records!

But, for what it's worth, I've had Chambeyronias in large pots (garbage cans) for 10 years or more.

I'll scour my friends' collections and see if I can find something that's been potted for a while.

Here two more photos of Phoenix palms: Ph. rupicola 25 years old and Ph. canariensis also over 20 years in a pot:

56a8f594d5dba_Phoenixrupicola2008-09-16.

56a8f5c9bfdec_Phoenixcanariensis1989-09-

And next two other over twenties: Phoenix reclinata (23 years in 2006) and Arenga engleri var. ryukyuensis (21 in 2008):

56a8fc9e5acdc_Phoenixreclinata2006-09-15

56a8fca752501_Arengaengleriryukyuensis20

You won’t believe it, but this little Sabal palmetto was already 24 years in a pot (in 2008):

56a9519539893_Sabalpalmetto2008-06-17.th

Ptychosperma macarthurii 20 years kept in a small pot (2006):

56a953d638d07_Ptychospermamacarthurii200

A suckering Chamaerops humilis 27 years in a pot (1989):

56a9589f685e1_Chamaerops1989-09-07.thumb

This Rhapis subtilis was grown up from one seed (labeled as “Rh. humilis”) in 1981. This is the last photo taken in 2008 aged 27 years, before it was given away to a zoological garden (Vogelpark Walsrode):

56aa19f8e816d_Rhapissubtilis2008-09-27.t

Incredible plants Pal. Has the Arenga ever produced suckers? How do you stop the Phoenix palms from lifting themselves out of their pots?

1 hour ago, Josh76 said:

Incredible plants Pal. Has the Arenga ever produced suckers? How do you stop the Phoenix palms from lifting themselves out of their pots?

Q&A #1: Suckers of Arenga

56aa625c9b3e1_Arengaengleri2008-06-12suc

Q&A #2: Root pruning of Phoenix canariensis

56aa629a67468_Phoenixcanariensis1980-05-

7 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

This Rhapis subtilis was grown up from one seed (labeled as “Rh. humilis”) in 1981. This is the last photo taken in 2008 aged 27 years, before it was given away to a zoological garden (Vogelpark Walsrode):

56aa19f8e816d_Rhapissubtilis2008-09-27.t

Where did you use to buy seeds from back then? I remember that during the early 90's the only reliable palm seeds source known to me was a family business but it had a limited though occasionally highly interesting list. It even offered once seeds of Borassondedron borneense (btw they were fresh and viable!), though it was emphasizing on australian plants and cycads.

Edited by Phoenikakias

19 minutes ago, Phoenikakias said:

Where did you use to buy seeds from back then? I remember that during the early 90's the only reliable palm seeds source known to me was a family business but it had a limited though occasionally highly interesting list. It even offered once seeds of Borassondedron borneense (btw they were fresh and viable!), though it was emphasizing on australian plants and cycads.

The main source for seeds in the 1970s and 80s was A. Schenkel in Hamburg (as in this case with the Rhapis), but I collected also seeds in the wild and in several botanical gardens.

7 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

The main source for seeds in the 1970s and 80s was A. Schenkel in Hamburg (as in this case with the Rhapis), but I collected also seeds in the wild and in several botanical gardens.

Thanks. This small family business I mentioned before had its headquarters in Heidelberg (or nearby anyway). Do you happen to remember its name?

9 minutes ago, Phoenikakias said:

Thanks. This small family business I mentioned before had its headquarters in Heidelberg (or nearby anyway). Do you happen to remember its name?

I guess you might mean Samengeschäft Wagner (???) in Heidelberg. I bought there some seeds in the 1980s too.

In the 80s, I used to buy seeds (not only palm seeds) from Spezialsämereien Wißmann in Osnabrück (I recently found an old catalog). None of the palms is alive anymore though, as I gave them away when I moved to the US in 1998, I restarted the hobby in 2013 after moving back to Germany.

Two Chamaerops form the early 90's, when I obtained them. First one had by then already fan palms, so I estimate that it carries about another 5 years 'on its back'. The second one had been bought as a strap seedling of the arborescent variety, but it proved very suckering, so I prefered keeping it in pot. Both plants look better then the pots, they are in. 

IMG_20160129_165840.thumb.jpg.7770fa72caIMG_20160129_165853.thumb.jpg.a281dfdba7IMG_20160129_165922.thumb.jpg.e313a55bf9IMG_20160129_165932.thumb.jpg.09b6d34f9d

If you wonder why I do not pot them up, answer is simple. I can not. Plants are super heavy at current stage, Almost all soil has been substituted by root mass and, believe me, root mass is way heavier than the stickiest soil.

Wow, you guys have got me beat, hands down.  I think my oldest palm is maybe 5 years old at this point.  But, I have several contenders I may be able to bonzai out to 20 if they keep at this growth rate.

2 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

If you wonder why I do not pot them up, answer is simple. I can not. Plants are super heavy at current stage, Almost all soil has been substituted by root mass and, believe me, root mass is way heavier than the stickiest soil.

I know, they can become very heavy. My 28 years old Chamaerops on the photo taken in 2008 was also much over 100 kg. So I decided to keep only lighter palms with me like this one below, 29 years old in 2015:

56abbd1370809_Chamaerops2015-09-07P10008

PS: The soil consists of 100% marble pebbles. The bonsai is almost all the year outdoors.

:greenthumb:

cool thread!!

Phoenix roebelenii - ~30 years from grass-like seedling. (Spends the winters inside.)

P.roebelenii.20090905-01.jpg

I have only coconut trees and grow using bonsai technique....  this the older one, 16 years old........

1314_3232736114679_711878960_n.jpg

WOW, impressive numbers here. My oldest is a Dypsis Lutescens in the same pot for 5 years, spends the entire year outdoors in part day sun (about 6 hours). So far so good. 

Awesome plants.

Chamaerops humilis that is beautiful Pal!!

Its only by coming to sites like PalmTalk we get to see such beautiful specimens.

Many thanks to all of you for sharing.

My "old" palms in pots, strictly, I live on fourth floor

Phoenix roebelenii, 25 or more years

IMG_6522.JPG

Edited by Tomas

Arenga engleri, 19 years

IMG_6525.jpg

Brahea edulis, 25-30 years

IMG_6526.jpg

Pal, your Ptychosperma macarthurii 20 years kept in a small pot (2006

Are they that slow growing?  I have been looking for one for some time and found one on Ebay here in the states 20" tall for $20 was going to jump on it, but thought they were faster growers. Saw this post that you had one so wanted to ask about growth speed.

Scott/Omaha, NE USA

3 hours ago, sashaeffer said:

Pal, your Ptychosperma macarthurii 20 years kept in a small pot (2006

Are they that slow growing?  I have been looking for one for some time and found one on Ebay here in the states 20" tall for $20 was going to jump on it, but thought they were faster growers. Saw this post that you had one so wanted to ask about growth speed.

Scott/Omaha, NE USA

I tried to keep it small, finally it got too tall for indoors, but that was in 2008 when I gave it away to a zoo.

Some of these palms are almost as old as I am! :o

...okay, yes, I exaggerate slightly...  :innocent:  Very impressive to see these palms kept small with confinement, yet perfectly healthy.  If carefully maintained they can be quite tolerant plants.

My oldest in a pot is only about 8 years old, and that's nothing for a variegated Rhapis.

post-10546-0-51010000-1418532556_thumb.j

This Howea forsteriana belonged to my grandmother she kept in that pot for over forty years. as far as I'm aware  it is being cared for by my Aunty. 

Finally....was able to find one on Ebay and was able to get it shipped before really cold weather arrived. 

I've read online mixed reports on growth speed of this species. Anyone?

DSCF0204.JPG

On 11/18/2016, 1:39:14, sashaeffer said:

Finally....was able to find one on Ebay and was able to get it shipped before really cold weather arrived. 

I've read online mixed reports on growth speed of this species. Anyone?

DSCF0204.JPG

It doesn't look very old? :D 

Edited by Funkthulhu

On 11/12/2016, 11:32:10, Kim said:

Some of these palms are almost as old as I am! :o

...okay, yes, I exaggerate slightly...  :innocent:  Very impressive to see these palms kept small with confinement, yet perfectly healthy.  If carefully maintained they can be quite tolerant plants.

My oldest in a pot is only about 8 years old, and that's nothing for a variegated Rhapis.

Some of his oldest ones are as old as I am. *gasp*.  There's a few in here I think   

My oldest currently (time I've had it) is also 8 years old.  The plant is likely got about 5 years of growth before I got it.   C Elegans.  

It's not my palm ... My palm is still too small, and it is difficult to say that they are old. This Phoenix roebelenii  growing in the greenhouse of the Kiev Botanical Garden. And it seems that it grows in this pot all his life! ..

DSC_0344.jpg

14 minutes ago, Yurabotan said:

It's not my palm ... My palm is still too small, and it is difficult to say that they are old. This Phoenix roebelenii  growing in the greenhouse of the Kiev Botanical Garden. And it seems that it grows in this pot all his life! ..

Yes, you can keep Ph roebelenii a couple of decades in quite small pots.

58 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

Yes, you can keep Ph roebelenii a couple of decades in quite small pots.

This feature is characteristic only for Ph roebelenii?
I know that Ph dactulifera or canariensis will never forms a trunk if it is growing in a pot.

2 Chamaedorea elegans 45 years old:

5aa43381ab33c_Chelegans2017-07-20P103085

Hi Pal,

looking at my small C. elegans I'm wondering if I ever will see it that big. Counting my age I need to become very old:yay:

Was there something stopping it growing for a certain time? 

Regards

Eckhard