IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Here I am again , unable to decide,,,

I just found out that my Livistona in ground  is L.Nitidai not Livistona chinensis ,,, as I have all palms there are pinnate ones and close to each other I am not sure having one fan palm or particularity Livistina.Nitid is in harmony /suitable with others...

I was thinking to replace L.Nitidai with another pinnate type ( I have Kentiopsis oliviformis and Chambeyronia macrocarpa) ...

as the Livistina.Nitid is in ground only 2-3 month should be easy to remove...

any idea if it is a good decision or not?

IMG_4545.JPG

IMG_4543.JPG

IMG_4541.JPG

I think it is nice to have a random fan palm, Moshen. I'd even concider adding another one or two of the same spieces in another location near by. I don't mean in the same garden bed but a position where you might be able to see another in the distance. I like to concider lines of sight for the potential future views of my gardens,  which also takes into consideration the rooms inside the house and how the garden is viewed form the interior.

• Upvote 2

Mate nobody can see the future, in fact I think that one of the hardest things to predict, is the future.

Although, Pip makes a very good point, especially since you are putting in very big plants.

You know that I cram in lots of stuff but they are predominantly small chamaedorea type stuff, and I already have a canopy.

You are trying to get a canopy as fast as you can, but putting big palms close together doesn't work that way. 

You will not get a canopy any faster, perhaps slower because of competition.

Pinnate? palmate? Costapalmate? who cares, It doesn't matter. 

I agree with Pip but it does it does not matter what we think, it matters what you and your wife think.

do what you want, not what we want and in another 10 years it will all look completely different anyway.

I think that you are overthinking it a bit, there is no such thing as a bad palm garden,

Struth mate, you are a worry, :) 

(If I was you I would put in more costapalmate and not worry if they were adjacent germination.):D

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

Thanks Pip and Steve for nice advises...the problem is that I want many palm and whenever I know a new kind I want those too :)

but my space is limited ...The reason I start this thread is that I saw many large " L.Nitidai " around ( if I dont mistake and they are other types of Livistona in Sydney??) and I thought in future they palms will crowded together ( if they get to that point regardless of my poor site drainage...full sun...) and I thought Fan types mixed with pinnate wont be as eye catching as pinate with pinate ( or maybe I am mistaken) ...also I want to put "Kentiopsis oliviformis and Chambeyronia macrocarpa" to ground ASAP and might sacrifice L.Nitidai ...

another point of view is that which palms look nicer from pool ..." L.Nitidai "  or "Kentiopsis oliviformis and Chambeyronia macrocarpa" ...

Pip when you say "I'd even consider adding another one or two of the same spieces in another location near by." you referring to which one of my palms?

LoL, I'm sure you'll settle a small botany palm garden.

I don't find any problem mixing pinate with fan palms, even I think is a desirable mix. I think landscaping is playing with different colours, textures and shapes also. I think contrast could mignify the individual beauty of each palm. One thing to keep in mind it's the growth rate and the final size of your palms, using different rows of planting. Livistona nitida is well-known about its high growth rate, you could use it has canopy to protect other tender palms.

As gtsteve said, you have to be happy with the overall design, If you aren't happy with it, change it.

• Upvote 1

08053.gif

Mate whilst I cannot speak for anyone else, I think that most people would prefer the look of a  Kentiopsis or Chambeyronia from the pool,

but again it is what you think not anyone else. Also consider how much work that a 'dirty' palm like a cocos (for example)will cause in the pool.

(the yanks call them queens, we haven't realized yet down under, that they have been renamed twice since they were called Cocos plumosa)

I think that the Kent and Chamby would be cleaner than a Livistona.

Mohsen, you know that Livl's are big, you know that your space is limited, you know what to do. We all have this dilemma. Easier now than later. 

• Upvote 3

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

BTW, which one will be  biggest between these 3 palms ( width-tall) in order  :

L.Nitidai  , Kentiopsis oliviformis and Chambeyronia macrocarpa?

1 hour ago, Phoenikakias said:

Hands down Nitida! Scream...

I agree!

And add . . .

Feather or fan is a matter of personal preference. I have lots of both in my garden and love them both.

There are so many ways to have fun with design. For instance, you can have a number of fans or feathers near each other, in different colors (e.g., Brahea armata, next to green Livistona; or Archontophoenix next to pale Dypsis saintluciei).

Sometimes it's nice to a bold screaming statement you can see from planes overhead (like Bizzies or Al-Franken Brahea). Other times it's nicer to have something that seems uniform at a distance that reveals fascinating subtleties up close, like a line of Dypsis baronii, onilahensis, psammophila, arenarum and albofarinosa.

One nice thing about palms and other bold-leafed tropical-looking plants (including bananas, etc) is that they all go well together, so it's rare you'll make a horrible mistake (i haven't seen one!). The biggest problem is falling in love with something and not having the room and deciding what to remove . . . .

• Upvote 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I love the look of a mixture of fan & feather palms, as well as a mixture of other leaf shapes & colours from other tropical or tropical looking plants...

However if the Livistona is in a "prime" location, then you may wish to use that spot for a more special palm, again that is entirely subjective & only you can know...

• Upvote 2

Malta - USDA Zone 11a

Thanks for the comments...

so which one will get bigger / faster ?

L.Nitidai  , Kentiopsis oliviformis and Chambeyronia macrocarpa?

Mohsen,

I think a mixture of pinnate and palmate palms of varying heights is best.  I am a landscape designer, and it always seems to give you the best results when you have a variety, which is much more aesthetically pleasing.  I have a mixture of both in my yard as well as a good mix of tropical flowering trees, tropical flowering shrubs, and tropical fruit trees.

John

• Upvote 2