IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis ambanja

realarch

2 hours ago, colin Peters said:

Jason, yours to me looks like my Dypsis "dark mealybug" with the speckles and pinkish coloring, and recurving leaves. Any thoughts??

2 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

I think I may agree on this one..

Does that mean it's the "highland" teddy Bear?

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

7 hours ago, Moose said:

Does that mean it's the "highland" teddy Bear?

Nope. As Such it is still an unnamed Dypsis. sp. "dark mealy bug"... It's one palm that I think would thrive in South Florida . From my observation, a palm that does exceptionally well in a greenhouse, I.E. high heat and humidity. You lack either and it struggles significantly. I would think one mound planted in half day sun would do quite well there. (Once acclimated to sun)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

10 hours ago, colin Peters said:

Jason, yours to me looks like my Dypsis "dark mealybug" with the speckles and pinkish coloring, and recurving leaves. Any thoughts??

I actually thought that myself when looking at the photo. But in person they look a bit different. I do have a similar sized dark mealy bug planted close by and the leaflets are much broader and a bit shorter than this "ambanja". 

I think it's just an example of how many Dypsis like showing color at various stages and places. But we shall see. I'll post updates as this grows and my dark mealy bug to compare. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Here are a couple of updated pictures of my Dypsis "Ambanja". Anyone else have updates on this palm?  And just to plug Floribunda, I believe they still have a few of these for sale. I think this is going to be a really cool (big) Dypsis and who knows if or when seed will become available again since we really don't even know what this is. 

IMG_1155.thumb.JPG.bb03dec3353cb70cede7a

Getting more white on the petiole!

IMG_1156.thumb.JPG.f040106305b7f8402dec5

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

On 2/23/2018, 10:05:50, BS Man about Palms said:

Watching..if it's Lamana's baronii, it's a VERY slow Dypsis..

not in the green house. Very fast Bill

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

20 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

Here are a couple of updated pictures of my Dypsis "Ambanja". Anyone else have updates on this palm?  And just to plug Floribunda, I believe they still have a few of these for sale. I think this is going to be a really cool (big) Dypsis and who knows if or when seed will become available again since we really don't even know what this is. 

IMG_1155.thumb.JPG.bb03dec3353cb70cede7a

Getting more white on the petiole!

IMG_1156.thumb.JPG.f040106305b7f8402dec5

Damn dude!!! That is killer for sure!!!!

Sunset zone 24

On 4/26/2018, 9:49:54, colin Peters said:

I don't think dark Mealy bug. I have had lots over the years in my green house from Jeff M. and they all pretty much looked like these internet pictures and not Ambanja type. I also think its going to look more like the Dypsis ovobontsira type. I guess only time will tell on this one. I'll try to get side by side pictures to show how different they are.

Image result for dypsis dark mealy bugRelated image

Sunset zone 24

18 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

You growing any of these Josh?  

Just a bunch in the green house> I'll plant a couple

in the spring

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Matt, I am guessing that mine had done the same thing yours is going threw and it will hopefully correct itself 

20181130_073011.jpg

51 minutes ago, John hovancsek said:

Matt, I am guessing that mine had done the same thing yours is going threw and it will hopefully correct itself 

20181130_073011.jpg

Talk about a "kinky" palm...

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Just thought I'd post a recent photo of the same D. sp. 'Ambanja' from earlier posts which has had significant growth for a smaller palm. Same shovel for scale.

Tim

P1060790.jpg

• Upvote 3

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Tim, I can't believe you still have the same shovel.  I must have broke 2 already trying to dig holes.. lol

• Upvote 1

You make me laugh John. That shovel is my trusty scale indicator and it's treated with lots of TLC, well most of the time. I use the Oó bar on all the rocks in my yard.

Tim

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 1 year later...

Any updates on the D. sp "ambaja" from Floribunda (the non-clustering, potentially giant one)?

Mine was ordered 2/2017 as 4" plant from Floribunda. It's slow-ish, but growing. It was growing in a shaded spot, but now is getting more sun. I am debating putting it in the ground this year, but I'm uncommitted and I wanted to see if anyone has had success with this palm in SoCal.

IMG_7789.thumb.jpg.2c77ec292a291f54517cd397b7f75abe.jpg

• Upvote 1

@msporty very nice!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I was talking to Jeff Marcus about this heeled dypsis and he told me that it is probably the sp. Metallic or mabe a form of ampasindave 

• Like 1

On 6/2/2020 at 1:05 PM, msporty said:

Any updates on the D. sp "ambaja" from Floribunda (the non-clustering, potentially giant one)?

Mine was ordered 2/2017 as 4" plant from Floribunda. It's slow-ish, but growing. It was growing in a shaded spot, but now is getting more sun. I am debating putting it in the ground this year, but I'm uncommitted and I wanted to see if anyone has had success with this palm in SoCal.

IMG_7789.thumb.jpg.2c77ec292a291f54517cd397b7f75abe.jpg

Here are updated photos of my largest. Probably about 8 feet tall to the top of the newest leaf. 

I have 3 total and this is by far the best looking. The soil that it’s planted in is pretty dense, compared to other parts of my yard that are more cinder based and very fast draining.  So I would say that these like a lot of water as long as it’s warm.  This is in full sun, but for California I would recommend filtered light. Unless you are close to the coast. 

3B61A4E5-74FC-421B-BAB7-5BBF607EEE1C.thumb.jpeg.f5d071f83df78e41ea36cb723b376959.jpeg

DCEA481D-DE41-4863-A155-DBC8B9CA8E95.thumb.jpeg.65b596d01e7a93e71f25d55344906d6e.jpeg

C8E9AF80-8FFA-4929-A7F0-72204708679E.thumb.jpeg.da48d55af6009213cc9744e0e76eae98.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 6/3/2020 at 4:02 AM, John hovancsek said:

I was talking to Jeff Marcus about this heeled dypsis and he told me that it is probably the sp. Metallic or mabe a form of ampasindave 

I definitely see similarities as I’m growing all 3 of these. But the black spotting on the petioles seems unique. So maybe these are somewhat related but still different. 

Here are some photo comparisons of different sized plants in my garden:

Dypsis Ampasindavae:

50CD1F74-C301-499D-99B9-9EB2F0170969.thumb.jpeg.199695ec1acb29ff6906fa729f18639a.jpeg

close up, white petiole but no black markings like Sp Ambanja:

1727ACA4-A508-45D1-AF61-DA459EC51EE1.thumb.jpeg.062ab5ee573b36926798630db08dfa8e.jpeg

So Metallic (shade grown)

8C3B49ED-E85A-4820-8A62-AEE02E9B90C4.thumb.jpeg.5689ff79d32defeb1714501722c6e494.jpeg

sp Metallic (full sun)

0F7149A5-ED9C-4AD0-BAC0-C51CF5531929.thumb.jpeg.e8c9870a88e163b797064645679710a2.jpeg

and for my Sp Ambanja photos, see the post above this one on this thread. 

I will say, from my limited experience, that the Sp Metallic is the slowest growing of these 3 and the petiole / new spear is green. For whatever that’s worth. 

PS.  I think it’s also safe to throw the “Blue Vatovavy” into this group as well. I personally think that one is very similar to Ampasindavae, but I have only seen smaller, potted specimens. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Jason — your HI garden looks so good!!! Thanks for all the info above. Based on that beautiful Hilo garden, I’m guessing you’re moving back to Fallbrook anytime soon!

19 hours ago, msporty said:

Jason — your HI garden looks so good!!! Thanks for all the info above. Based on that beautiful Hilo garden, I’m guessing you’re moving back to Fallbrook anytime soon!

We sold our Fallbrook home at the end of 2019, so we’re here on the Big Island for good now!

Congrats to you guys. FYI - I meant to write “not moving back” anytime soon. I remember your palms finding new homes, so I figured you were close to selling. I enjoyed the photos of your stellar Tri-bears and D. mananjarensis from Fallbrook. 

My wife and I have talked about moving to HI too, but we still have lots of family locally to keep us around. Glad you’ve transitioned well. Please continue to post photos and make us jealous back here in SoCal!

• 1 year later...

Was in my greenhouse yesterday and noticed my Dypsis sp. ambanja was really getting some size to it and starting to look pretty cool. To me it looks very similar to Dypsis leucomalla. I need to find a place to plant this guy ASAP! Anyone have a more mature plant you could show pics of?

D16D4679-9B66-40FF-9D2B-B02B189F7AB8.jpeg

CF4F6409-EB1A-40E6-B442-39B573E8AEA3.jpeg

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

Wow, that looks amazing!  Unfortunately I lost my big one.  The center spear pulled (which was about 12' long!!) and it never recovered.  It was a pretty fast grower and was getting big but still not trunking.  

I have another smaller one planted thats not really photo worthy yet, and I have another in a pot that will one day make it to my new property.  I was pretty bummed about losing my large one.  Bill Austin probably has an equal size to what I have, maybe he'll see this and post a photo.  Or maybe John Hovancsek can post a photo or two of the Floribunda planted out palm.