IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis ambanja

realarch

Geeze, on a roll here. 

Haven't heard much about this little Dypsis on the board. Relatively fast grower and had more coloring on trunk just below the

crown shaft when it was younger. It's now a light green from a purplish black. Nice tidy little palm though. 

Tim

D. ambanja.jpg

IMG_1021.jpg

IMG_1022.jpg

P1000053.jpg

• Upvote 13

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Interesting name on that Tim, I have never heard that name but the palm looks somewhat familiar? Very nice specimen as usuall

They're a really attractive palm; yours looks great Tim. Here's one from the 'hood starting to trunk:

image.jpg

• Upvote 6

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

If memory serves, it was sold as "sp. ambanja". So I'm not 100% sure whether it has an official name or not.

• Upvote 1

Bret

The 'hood' is looking good Bret. I checked Kew and that's not an accepted name. At least for the moment anyhow. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 1 year later...

Anyone tried these in FL? I've got a nice 3 gal size to put in the ground. Also, sun or shade? 

Warrior Palm Princess, Satellite Beach, Florida

20 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

Anyone else growing this? Here's mine from Floribunda. 

IMG_8802.jpg

IMG_8803.jpg

IMG_8805.jpg

That looks quite different from Tim and Brett's plants. Yours looks more like some kind of big Dypsis.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I agree, the leaves of the sp. Ambanja are narrow and feathery.

Here's an update with the shovel for scale. Elegant little palm.

Tim 

P1010067.jpg

• Upvote 5

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I agree they don't look alike. Did you guys get your plants from Floribunda? I went back through my list to make sure I didn't mislabel anything and I don't think I did.

I went back and watched the Floribunda slideshow where Jeff talks about sp. Ambanja which he received from RPS. http://www.palmpedia.net/Video/dyp2/index.html

Here are the pictures he shows. 

Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 14.08.25.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 14.08.34.png

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

That looks quite different from Tim and Brett's plants. Yours looks more like some kind of big Dypsis.

Looks like it's got a heel.

Mine did come from Floribunda and seeing Jeff's grouping in the photo above is what made me want one. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

On 1/25/2016, 3:44:26, Mandrew968 said:

Looks like it could be in the baronii complex.

Could be. It seems to have more affinity to onilihensis in my eyes. Or it could be neither; I guess we wait for Tim's to flower. The attached photo on the RPS site of the larger version is just awesome looking. Assuming it's the same palm, it looks like the leaves become much more recurved with age.

Bret

• 2 months later...

Anyone know the sun preference for these? I just received a couple from Floribunda.

IMG_3262.jpg

• Upvote 3

Thanks for sharing, Davis. I think we might have two different palms here. Yours looks like mine that I also got from Floribunda which some think is different from the dainty clustering palm seen as Ambanja.

34 minutes ago, Matt in OC said:

Thanks for sharing, Davis. I think we might have two different palms here. Yours looks like mine that I also got from Floribunda which some think is different from the dainty clustering palm seen as Ambanja.

Well at least you know that you didn't mislabel yours...

Chris

42 minutes ago, Davis_Jungle said:

Chris

davis, I think yours is a big Dypsis, still cool keep an eye out for us . . .

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

1 hour ago, Davis_Jungle said:

Anyone know the sun preference for these? I just received a couple from Floribunda.

IMG_3262.jpg

1 hour ago, Matt in OC said:

42 minutes ago, Davis_Jungle said:

Chris

Davids yours looks like a big Dypsis, not a baronii complex member. Still wonderful, keep us apprized of progress.

I've got the same plants as Davis, on two different occasions. Very shiny, dark green leaf, with a heel and white flecking along petiole. Here's a pic of 3 gal and 1 gal, received two yrs apart from Floribunda. So- someone's made a mistake, twice in my case. 

IMG_0736.JPG

IMG_0740.JPG

• Upvote 3

These are mine, no heel, light green and looks more onilahensis or baroni than a big Dypsis.

Not the same ambanja from Floribunda.

IMG_20170606_182311.thumb.jpg.daa6bb8292IMG-20170606-WA0005.thumb.jpg.1a5a42fc22

• Upvote 2

Sent Jeff at Floribunda a note today and he did reply.  He received two different seed batches that originated from locality of Ambanja. Neither one has an official name. One batch did turn out to look like baron-onilahensis type, the other with the heel, probably a big Dypsis. 

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...
On 6/6/2017, 6:09:40, NatureGirl said:

Sent Jeff at Floribunda a note today and he did reply.  He received two different seed batches that originated from locality of Ambanja. Neither one has an official name. One batch did turn out to look like baron-onilahensis type, the other with the heel, probably a big Dypsis. 

So his current batch is with or without heel? I prefer the look of the smaller ones without heel, and would definitely not want the larger one with heel.

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

In looking at my ambanja yesterday, I noticed that there is absolutely no petiole on these between the stem & where the leaflets begin. I mean none. I can't think of any other palm like that; it's a bit of an unusual characteristic.

Bret

My 'Ambanja' had no heel,  but did have a short petiole when young. There is absolutely no petiole now. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 6 months later...

Thought I would bump this thread as I just planted two of the heeled "Sp. Ambanja" in my yard.  I remembered there being some confusion on this palm so I found this thread to get some information.  

The heeled palm that looks like it will be a bigger Dypsis sure looks like this palm called Sp. Lamana's Baronii.  Obviously not an official name, but looks the same:  http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Dypsis_sp._'Lamana's_baroni' 

Does't really help to know what it actually is, but it looks like it will be another great Dypsis.  

Anyone have any updated photos of these bigger healed ones?  Mine are small, but I'll take a picture of what I just planted when I get a chance. 

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

Watching..if it's Lamana's baronii, it's a VERY slow Dypsis..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I still need to post photos of the 2 I recently planted.  They are pretty small though. Once the rain stops I'll try to take a picture. 

Many more feedback from anyone about these? 

• 1 month later...
On 2/24/2018, 9:50:13, Hilo Jason said:

I still need to post photos of the 2 I recently planted.  They are pretty small though. Once the rain stops I'll try to take a picture. 

Many more feedback from anyone about these? 

Mine has now made it through a year with no growth but no setback either. It's time to either plant or pot up. Anybody else? Mature photos?

My no heeled ambanja is growing fast. It has been planted in the ground two weeks ago, after be outdoors the Winter with no problem.

IMG_20180423_195650.thumb.jpg.aa8aa46d3d

• Upvote 1

Here's one of my Dypsis Ambanja. It's only about 1 foot tall so far. Planted in full sun. Not much to see now but hoping it grows into a nice big Dypsis.

IMG_0624.thumb.JPG.b070fa7611b1dba50dc6f

IMG_0625.thumb.JPG.a1fd07750665dd999eb18

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Great pics, Jason. I dug mine out and it appears in my neglect it threw out a new leaf in the past year. 

B589E147-27AA-48C9-A8C6-486A17685FB0.jpeg

62D243C1-EF2A-434C-B3B3-525E21016809.jpeg

• Upvote 3

Jason, yours to me looks like my Dypsis "dark mealybug" with the speckles and pinkish coloring, and recurving leaves. Any thoughts??

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, colin Peters said:

Jason, yours to me looks like my Dypsis "dark mealybug" with the speckles and pinkish coloring, and recurving leaves. Any thoughts??

20 minutes ago, colin Peters said:

I think I may agree on this one..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!