IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Knell Sprouts

knell

First round of Livistona drudei:

image.thumb.jpeg.0fa9ffe890630dc3469b39a

After habitat study I went with a 2-1-1-1-1 of fine fir bark-pumice-coco croutons-Fox Farms Light Warrior-crushed clay, with a little dolomite sprinkled in. Probably more complicated than it needed to be but it ended up looking like this:

image.thumb.jpeg.0a03c199c4f6f9910144a21

• Upvote 5

My parents groan a little when I encourage them to take some of my palm seeds, but it is all worth it when I visit and see they still have one of the Ceroxylons from my original batch, happy and healthy (and undigested):

image.thumb.jpeg.78b609dfd936b7e5abd9e7d

I gave them just a brief habitat description of it and they used regular potting soil / have given it almost no attention... I babied mine and they are all gone. Life's lessons!

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, knell said:

Pritchardia beccariana (thank you @Josh-O !)

image.thumb.jpeg.0f946a146f68b780e3fcd83

Prestoea montana

image.thumb.jpeg.a2f3f8d7a395eca0e755e9a

if you crack off the endo carp and place them in a loose moist medium they will sprout in 2-3 weeks.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

55 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

if you crack off the endo carp and place them in a loose moist medium they will sprout in 2-3 weeks.

What do you use to crack the endo? Im guessing youre talking about the Pritchardia, thank you for the advice!

Corypha utan (many thanks @DUNDEE !)

image.thumb.jpeg.819c9d3eb968228e38206c5

This is one of the palms that ignited my passion, very glad to have some embryos.

Licuala peltata v. sumawongii 

image.thumb.jpeg.02d390af827cc1087be6e06

These ones reminded me of tadpoles. Again, one of my absolute favorite palms.

Licuala spinosa

image.thumb.jpeg.ca95fc74f7af354479a5f9f

• Upvote 1

As per Josh's suggestion, I got to (carefully) crackin' on my Pritchardia seeds. Not easy work as the husk is tough and the endocarp must be cracked at an angle to avoid crunching through it. Once I got the pressure down and stopped springing seeds across the room, it was steady going. Im guessing these have tannins in them or something similar, as they stain water and smell like oversteeped tea.

It seems as though you have two options, to crack the endocarp entirely off and rip a chunk of the endosperm(?), as seen in the top lefthand seed.

The other option is to just crack off what comes off easily, and to leave the stubborn chunk attached. I went for this seemingly less damaging version for the rest of them:

image.thumb.jpeg.e41e86070fb5a2b5b7c5166

Im guessing the attached part hides the part that sends down the radicle? Any insight is welcome.

Im starting them in a custom mix with lots of pumice and cinders, hoping for the best!

Interesting thread knell! Do you clean the seeds with anything or just leave them alone? I've heard 10% bleach solution being used often. Mold is a worry when seeds are in a closed bag.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, knell said:

As per Josh's suggestion, I got to (carefully) crackin' on my Pritchardia seeds. Not easy work as the husk is tough and the endocarp must be cracked at an angle to avoid crunching through it. Once I got the pressure down and stopped springing seeds across the room, it was steady going. Im guessing these have tannins in them or something similar, as they stain water and smell like oversteeped tea.

It seems as though you have two options, to crack the endocarp entirely off and rip a chunk of the endosperm(?), as seen in the top lefthand seed.

The other option is to just crack off what comes off easily, and to leave the stubborn chunk attached. I went for this seemingly less damaging version for the rest of them:

image.thumb.jpeg.e41e86070fb5a2b5b7c5166

Im guessing the attached part hides the part that sends down the radicle? Any insight is welcome.

Im starting them in a custom mix with lots of pumice and cinders, hoping for the best!

you did a good job Cracking off the Endo carp off. If you just soak them in about 1 inch of water they will start sprouting in about 2 weeks. change the water at least 3 times per week.this method is bullet proof with this species. post pictures of your progress :) 

here is a picture of mine sprouting just after 10 days in a bucket of water. pretty cool :)  as soon as they sprout take them out and place them into your soil medium. 

56fb473d6805f_IMG_4548(2).JPG.5a8acc0977

• Upvote 2

Sunset zone 24

Wow! Interesting technique, I will try some in only water to see what happens. Thank you very much for your reply!

5 minutes ago, Pando said:

Interesting thread knell! Do you clean the seeds with anything or just leave them alone? I've heard 10% bleach solution being used often. Mold is a worry when seeds are in a closed bag.

Thank you! I usually dont use anything and just try to keep the temperature above 24C. I only have mold problems in areas that dont have precise heat control, and if it is persistent I have a solution of copper sulfate .08% that seems to keep most non palm things away.

In my short experience it seems that the seeds that go moldy are doomed from the start or already compromised and that rinses and washes are no substitute for a healthy medium with all the good mycos and a sterile potting environment.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, knell said:

Wow! Interesting technique, I will try some in only water to see what happens. Thank you very much for your reply!

no problem :winkie:

Sunset zone 24

7 hours ago, knell said:

Thank you! I usually dont use anything and just try to keep the temperature above 24C. I only have mold problems in areas that dont have precise heat control, and if it is persistent I have a solution of copper sulfate .08% that seems to keep most non palm things away.

In my short experience it seems that the seeds that go moldy are doomed from the start or already compromised and that rinses and washes are no substitute for a healthy medium with all the good mycos and a sterile potting environment.

also from my limited experiences with palm seeds germination, if they mold in the 1st week there will be very little chance they can make it...actually now I will just get rid of those that got mold...

• Upvote 1

well Josh was certainly correct with his advice, crack off the endocarp of Pritchardia beccariana and out comes the root within a few days:

image.thumb.jpeg.e2d754a6b51fdbee7f912e0

also worth noting that i answered my own hypothesis about whether or not the stubborn bit of shell hides the sprout... not true!

• Upvote 2

more local goodness... everyones favorite kidney bean, T fortunei:

image.thumb.jpeg.101bf0ad97c54b1067cc79e

also my Phoenix that was attacked by birds has shrugged off the damage and come back to life:

IcVSzKI.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 4/6/2016, 9:47:21, knell said:

well Josh was certainly correct with his advice, crack off the endocarp of Pritchardia beccariana and out comes the root within a few days:

image.thumb.jpeg.e2d754a6b51fdbee7f912e0

also worth noting that i answered my own hypothesis about whether or not the stubborn bit of shell hides the sprout... not true!

its almost not fair how easy it is. :) 

Sunset zone 24

1 minute ago, Josh-O said:

its almost not fair how easy it is. :) 

so true! i noticed pneumathode style structures develop the first night, the first little roots came out between 24-48 hrs in the water. i have so many Pritchardia right now, thank you!

• Upvote 1

On 4/11/2016, 9:24:43, knell said:

so true! i noticed pneumathode style structures develop the first night, the first little roots came out between 24-48 hrs in the water. i have so many Pritchardia right now, thank you!

awesome. I just put all mine in a community bucket

Sunset zone 24

Would you look at this... i thought that the sprout I posted yesterday was the biggest oneI had so far... little did I know a bag that I ignored has turned into a L drudei terrarium hahah

image.thumb.jpeg.1e086e558f00d0617714992

• Upvote 1

The Cocothrinax 'azuls' that i bought on my birthday are doing quite well:

image.thumb.jpeg.76df5ca51f2adc46c22ed60

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

Not too many updates, aside from the Trachycarpus sprouting, and the fact that I am now a Livistona drudei farmer:

image.thumb.jpeg.3f36fe65523484eee1959ea

If anyone in the North Bay wants one of these, let me know! Im in one of the colder areas and these are doing better than my Washingtonia! Ive put sprouts straight into the ground and they are still hanging in there. We'll see how they fare this winter, but I have never been happier with a palm, they just grow no matter what you do.

Here is my mini hydro bonsai project, inspired by some Japanes artists (Rivulet Studios) on instagram and their aqua bonsai work with L. chinensis. 

image.thumb.jpeg.d0f19a203b739ba39021f05

On May 16, 2016 at 1:04:06 PM, Pal Meir said:

You should keep the water clean and humus free.

That is a good idea! I change it daily so Im just waiting for all the bits of dirt to stop washing off the seeds and collecting at the bottom.

Today i discovered a Pritchardia has poked its tiny head above soil for the first time! This is one the has been indoors its whole life so I am surprised it has emerged first, before the outdoor ones:

image.thumb.jpeg.9e4102c8277b1f8fe9c02a3

and yes, that is official Seramis! I found a company that imports it direct from Germany :]

4 hours ago, knell said:

That is a good idea! I change it daily so Im just waiting for all the bits of dirt to stop washing off the seeds and collecting at the bottom.

Today i discovered a Pritchardia has poked its tiny head above soil for the first time! This is one the has been indoors its whole life so I am surprised it has emerged first, before the outdoor ones:

and yes, that is official Seramis! I found a company that imports it direct from Germany :]

If you use Seramis you don’t need to use perlite too. I never mix both together.

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

On May 18, 2016 at 12:25:09 AM, Pal Meir said:

If you use Seramis you don’t need to use perlite too. I never mix both together.

I never use perlite in my newer mixes, the white rocks you see in the picture are bits of pumice :]

I understand your point though and I thank you for your advice. 

For the sake of curiosity I have multiple tests going side by side to see if there is any difference between mixing seramis and pumice, as I have containers with each one by itself as well (a mix with only seramis as the mineral, a mix with only pumice, and a mix with both... plus many many more variations and experiments)

• 2 weeks later...

found a few bags full of Dypsis today! i will post more scientific shots of the sprouts when i transplant them:

image.thumb.jpeg.502dc26d41fcebb9eaf097a

• Upvote 1

On 4/12/2016, 2:10:13, knell said:

"also my Phoenix that was attacked by birds has shrugged off the damage and come back to life:"

In my experience (P. canariensis ) Phoenix can be attacked by dragons and still come back to life, hence the name. :D

• Upvote 3

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

On 31.5.2016, 12:59:11, gtsteve said:

In my experience (P. canariensis ) Phoenix can be attacked by dragons and still come back to life, hence the name. :D

This is an excellent and really scientific explanation for the name! :greenthumb::D

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums