IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Knell Sprouts

knell

Hello!

I have a passion for sprouting seeds, and rather than clog up Mohsen's thread with my own pictures and questions, if the mods will allow it I would like to start my own general sprouting thread.

I have posted my most recent pics so ill start this with my pink Jubaea sprout that the wonderful @Pal Meir labeled for us:

image.jpeg.7b05f590ec7dfb4df52271e24ba52

As well as my Bismarckia project, I cut two 3 meter PVC pipes into 23cm sections, all in a 62.4L tub. I know I shouldn't have more than one per tube but I ran out of space/had extra seeds:

image.thumb.jpeg.2946021bb7f147149e716d6

(there is a sneaky seed from another genus in that tube towards the front, mega bonus points to anyone who can tell what it is)

I will update my Ceroxylons here as well!

• Upvote 5

I potted up this Jubaea which immediately went stagnant, until recently I moved it outside with no cover and it started up again:

image.thumb.jpeg.a40a528b3b7bd0307d222cc

I will also try to keep this 99% palm related, but I found a few dozen of these Quercus agrifolia sprouts in my driveway this morning, I planted them all in open space until my hands were nice and muddy

image.thumb.jpeg.6a4edf1ba7716e2469edf8e

• Upvote 4

22 hours ago, knell said:

Hello!

I have a passion for sprouting seeds, and rather than clog up Mohsen's thread with my own pictures and questions, if the mods will allow it I would like to start my own general sprouting thread.

I have posted my most recent pics so ill start this with my pink Jubaea sprout that the wonderful @Pal Meir labeled for us:

image.jpeg.7b05f590ec7dfb4df52271e24ba52

As well as my Bismarckia project, I cut two 3 meter PVC pipes into 23cm sections, all in a 62.4L tub. I know I shouldn't have more than one per tube but I ran out of space/had extra seeds:

image.thumb.jpeg.2946021bb7f147149e716d6

(there is a sneaky seed from another genus in that tube towards the front, mega bonus points to anyone who can tell what it is)

I will update my Ceroxylons here as well!

Thanks Knell for sharing...what is the length of each pipes? how did you deal with the open end of them?seal and drainage?

• Upvote 1

@Mohsen the tubes are 10cm diameter and about 23cm tall.

For the open end (at the bottom of each tube) i cut out sections of waxed paper and attached them with rubber bands and tape. I then poked holes in the waxed paper with a sharp knife to allow drainage.

The medium is 4cm of mixed charcoal and expanded clay on the bottom, then the rest is Fox Farms Light Warrior seed starter (this stuff is magical). Set the tub on top of a heating vent with supplemental heating pad for nighttime.

Thanks Knell for the info...I got 10 Bizzie seed but as I read in one  PT's thread it needs very deep ( some say 12" (30.48) is enough and even some believed that it should be 14" (35.56) depth...so I could only provide only 3 container with that deep and put the rest in bag to think what should I do...

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/47121-my-germination-projects/&page=7

• Upvote 1

Thank you for that source!

That is quite deep, I was planning on moving/planting the seeds once they started getting deep into the pots, but now I understand the urgency. How quick are they once they sprout? Jubaea give you lots of time to plan, Im hoping the similar size seed means the radicle sends its root down slowly in the beginning...

Does anyone know a good USA source for tree pots? I found one a while ago but cant remember where. They are perfect bc they are tall but skinny.

On 1/23/2016, 9:07:55, knell said:

I found the pots that would be perfect for Bizzies...

CP413CH from Stuewe... 10cm diameter, 30cm height! The ultimate Bizzie pot. anyone who gets some can send me some to say thanks :P

https://www.stuewe.com/products/treepots.php

On 1/23/2016, 9:01:12, knell said:

Thank you for that source!

That is quite deep, I was planning on moving/planting the seeds once they started getting deep into the pots, but now I understand the urgency. How quick are they once they sprout? Jubaea give you lots of time to plan, Im hoping the similar size seed means the radicle sends its root down slowly in the beginning...

Does anyone know a good USA source for tree pots? I found one a while ago but cant remember where. They are perfect bc they are tall but skinny.

I dont have any experiance with Bizzie so far and waiting for germination...they shouldn't be very fast I guess...good pot, I need to find supplier to Australia too...

A bird dug up and ruined the seed attached to this phoenix... is it destroyed or have the roots developed enough for it to survive without it?

edit: nevermind, i cant seem to upload pictures from my new phone... what an upgrade!

7 hours ago, knell said:

i think i sorted out the upload problem, but cant retake the picture so i uploaded it to imgur:

http://imgur.com/a/wXBDa

:unsure: if it survives this, it will truly be a 'phoenix'

What Phoenix species is it? If it gets enough light I think it will survive like the phoenix from the ashes.:greenthumb:

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

14 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

What Phoenix species is it? If it gets enough light I think it will survive like the phoenix from the ashes.:greenthumb:

canariensis... it was growing with seed attached for two months before the birds got it. The seed leftovers look mostly hollow so i think it might have a chance, might just be a little stunted.

today we have some more Jubaea and Ceroxylon:

image.thumb.jpeg.c088911d9bce6b60fb307ef

image.thumb.jpeg.6557a9ad0738c2ad44a3736

aaaaand (drumroll please) I checked the Bismarckia tubes that I started Jan 23rd at the beginning of this thread:

image.thumb.jpeg.d858392e79ab78463c28ede

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, knell said:

today we have some more Jubaea and Ceroxylon:

aaaaand (drumroll please) I checked the Bismarckia tubes that I started Jan 23rd at the beginning of this thread:

Very nice! :greenthumb: And a further photo for your palm family album:

56b740cec6f7c_JubaeaSeedling2016-02-06.t

And what about the other Jubaea with the brownish spot? Does it show its 2nd plumule?

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

3 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

And what about the other Jubaea with the brownish spot? Does it show its 2nd plumule?

not yet :( but its not any worse :D it looks exactly the same except i noticed more auxiliary roots coming off of the main root.

i was starting to think i should move it inside but it is so close to spring, 16C days 10C nights

the uploader here is glitching out again for me so here is an imgur link if youd like to see what it was up to this morning:

http://imgur.com/a/uvTmY

Ah, my friends, I have devastating news if youve been following this thread. Birds got past the rudimentary nets I set up and ate 99% of the sprouts I had outside.

Many tears were shed, but when I say 99%... the survivor happens to be the pink Jubaea. I have moved it inside out of sheer terror and desperation. If I had lost them all Im not sure what it would have done to me mentally. The Phoenix that had already lost its seed was untouched this time as well.

12 Ceroxylon quindiuense 

6 Jubaea 

8 Chamaedorea radicalis tree

5 Pinanga coronata

RIP

pic upload failed, i dont even have the heart to upload then elsewhere. ill try to post some pictures of the few plants I have remaining at my work desk later to cheer myself up... trying not to hate birds and be forgiving of nature.

i will start saving for a greenhouse...

1 minute ago, Pal Meir said:

:crying:

Thank you for your empathy Pal. I know, I am foolish for not protecting them better. Some have guessed rabbits, Im still sure its birds as there is a fence surrounding them.

I am lucky to have a couple left, as well as my office garden. I have ~200 unsprouted seeds in tanks, and the Bismarckias in tanks... I dont think I could stop now even if I wanted to!

going through cycles of rage and depression, this is very unpleasant.

here are some office sprouts to lighten the mood:

image.thumb.jpeg.cae580d5d264e7d7619d4a0

W. robusta aka "Rusty the Robusty" bc it lives in a nursey pot inside a rusty can

0VKyZ2gh.jpg

Ch. radicalis tree x3 and P. rupicola, gifted to me by the amazing Darold Petty.

rEMesuIh.jpg

Musa velutina

Knell:

Just saw your post about tree pots.  There is a place here in Nor Cal (I'm in SF) from where you can mail order these and not in bulk.  Their actual physical store is in Grass Valley.  In addition to their treepots, I find their "deepots" really great for smaller seeds since they come with a stand and have a really long root run.  This is also the place that I get micros, liquid kelp, etc.

Good luck.

https://www.groworganic.com/plant-growing-supplies/planting-containers/tree-and-forestry-pots.html

• Upvote 1

Thom -- San Francisco, CA -- Eastern Slope of Twin Peaks

3 minutes ago, tbearz said:

Knell:

Just saw your post about tree pots.  There is a place here in Nor Cal (I'm in SF) from where you can mail order these and not in bulk.  Their actual physical store is in Grass Valley.  In addition to their treepots, I find their "deepots" really great for smaller seeds since they come with a stand and have a really long root run.  This is also the place that I get micros, liquid kelp, etc.

Good luck.

https://www.groworganic.com/plant-growing-supplies/planting-containers/tree-and-forestry-pots.html

thank you so much! i look forward to checking that place out.

Peaceful Valley Farm Supply is the best !  Tons of information on their website,:greenthumb:

San Francisco, California

Ordered from peaceful valley... will build animal-proof cages for the tops of the deepot racks, thanks for the heads up tbearz.

Sadly the pink Jubaea did not like being moved indoors :mellow: and the tip has gone brown:

CkhLcMZh.jpg

Pictures will be limited as my new phone glitches when i upload, forcing me to do the five minute remote upload/copy pasting fun time for each picture.

I hate updating this thread with bad news, but the Bismarckia tank didnt seal properly and lost all of its moisture in the last couple of days... i checked them all and the roots have completely shriveled and disappeared.

That, on top of bird/rabbit attacks and being overwhelmed with losing so much so quickly overall, has convinced me that this thread need not exist for the foreseeable future.

On 2/18/2016, 8:36:14, knell said:

I hate updating this thread with bad news, but the Bismarckia tank didnt seal properly and lost all of its moisture in the last couple of days... i checked them all and the roots have completely shriveled and disappeared.

That, on top of bird/rabbit attacks and being overwhelmed with losing so much so quickly overall, has convinced me that this thread need not exist for the foreseeable future.

Knell

very sad to hear about those  unfortunate events ...but don't give up...you always can start again...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mohsen said:

Knell

very sad to hear about those  unfortunate events ...but don't give up...you always can start again...

thank you Mohsen, I must remember to not have a pity party when nature or my lack of experience come to reality. These are my first failures and they are painful, but there is no other way to learn than to do.

Philosophy aside, I went out and collected the "Marin Special", aka various Chamaedorea and Rhopalostylis:

image.thumb.jpeg.535c663d1b91c951eaea842

Can anyone tell me the deal with Rhop seeds? It seems like there is more to clean but I dont want to hurt them. Are they just unripe? 

Also, with Cham seeds, does it matter if you leave that final membrane between the pulp and the seed? Does it do nothing more than attract rot or could leaving it on be better if you can plant them straight away?

It is very sad mate to lose all of those plants. A lesser man would switch to roses. :) 

I have found that none of my chamys are fussy about  membrane or a bit of pulp.

You will probably have a ton of new seedlings to look after again soon enough.

Your photo's are very good, I see that you have been watching some of the masters. 

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

2 hours ago, gtsteve said:

It is very sad mate to lose all of those plants. A lesser man would switch to roses. :) 

I have found that none of my chamys are fussy about  membrane or a bit of pulp.

You will probably have a ton of new seedlings to look after again soon enough.

Your photo's are very good, I see that you have been watching some of the masters. 

haha thank you for your kind words, no roses for me.

when i first started, I thought C. quindiuense seeds were abundant and readily available, so I got 2 dozen and they all sprouted, with dreams on planting an avenue of them next to redwood trees.

i poured my heart, soul, energy, time and sacrifice into them. i have one (1) left and rarely see seeds or sprouts available now. the only difference it has is that i mulched it with perlite (maybe it camouflages the sprout?)

this hobby requires tougher skin than I anticipated, i cant think about it too long without being filled with rage.

Very fresh Livistona drudei seeds, in various states of cleaning. Some of them the white shell came off easily, others the white shell did not want to come off:

image.thumb.jpeg.be77fd108ea35ebe3d32ab4

image.thumb.jpeg.04d7105a7c1ee009c51dc6a

Thank you @NatureGirl for the opportunity  to grow this wonderful species.

Finally some more good news, I was cleaning out my desk at work and found a baggy with a surprise:

image.thumb.jpeg.ea6580a3f5e1b0327dc3b01

Either a Rhopalostylis or Chamaedorea, as usual I trusted my memory and didnt label anything. :P

Some activity in the Livistona bags after five (!) days... Charlene wasnt kidding when she mentioned these are an easy sprout:

image.thumb.jpeg.863aae83cd09fec595b8647

The bag closest to the heat vent has the most visible sprouts... these friends want to be very warm apparently!

Wow, I am a bad dad, I found more sprouting bags tucked away at my desk at work, including this mega etoliated Chamaedorea:

pBWD3zu.jpg

the poor thing had pushed itself out of its tiny little pot and was growing next to it, hanging by the root. Couldnt bend the root down so i just potted it gently in loose medium, hopefully it will be okay.

also this pair of Rhopalostylis (?). I didnt want to get rid of too much of its soil because the roots are so short:

VasPYve.jpg

I found even more Rhopalostylis sprouts at work today, after looking at these im convinced they all had longer roots that withered away / snapped off. Is there any chance of them growing back?

They look identical to the picture i posted yesterday, so alive but very little roots. Ive potted them in my best pots and crossed my fingers.

More Livistona sprouts so I have no shortage of work, also picked up two 6" metallicas that were in need of TLC.