IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Basselinia gracilis

realarch

Thought I'd post a few photos of this nice little palm from New Caledonia. Pretty fast actually for a New Cal. and has nice color.

The inflorescence color is really nice as well as the crown shaft and trunk. There is a shovel in there somewhere for scale. 

I've seen photos of B. gracilis growing in California, wonder how they are doing? 

Tim

P1000509.jpg

P1000513.jpg

P1000515.jpg

P1000516.jpg

• Upvote 10

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I am afraid Doranakanda Gardens soon will be to small. Otherwise…

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Really beautiful, nice color on the flower, love the stripes.  

I didn't know you ever had sun in Hilo !!

aloha

There is one really buried and stretched up at Lyon, but no sun reaches it and it is so tall, you can't appreciate the striped crown.  I

have never noticed any flower. Maybe a lack of light.

To answer your question about how they do in California, Realarch, they do great here in San Francisco.  One of my most highly recommended tender  palms for our conditions.  I have B. pancheri, B. favieri and B gracilis in the garden.  Basselinia gracilis is by far the happiest and fastest.  In fact, of all my New Caledonians, this is by far the fastest.  They have never looked unhealthy and don't spot in Winter like a lot of my tender stuff.  This is their third (maybe fourth?) winter in the ground.  Here are some pictures of my two - sorry for the crappy pictures.  I have too much in too small of a space and a bad camera to boot!

Bassilinia gracilis No. 1

B gracilis 1.JPG

B gracilis 2.JPG

• Upvote 1

Thom -- San Francisco, CA -- Eastern Slope of Twin Peaks

Just realized mine's a glabrata - bought as Alloschmidia (?) glabrata before the name change.

Thanks for the comments.....my pleasure. 

Thom, glad to see the New Cals doing well for you. I did manage to pick up B. pancheri, humboltiana, and moorei recently, but still in small pots.

Be awhile before they go into the ground. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 1 year later...

I have two from Jeff that I planted a few months ago in half day sun. I've been very impressed with how well they've handled it so far. 

Thom, now that you mention it, it does look like B. Glabrata. I've got one sandwiched between some other stuff and it's been a relatively slow grower. 

The B. humboltiana and pancheri have done well with the humboltiana already planed out and the pancheri just about ready.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

On 1/24/2016, 2:05:28, tbearz said:

Just realized mine's a glabrata - bought as Alloschmidia (?) glabrata before the name change.

Great work all the same! Basselinia eriostachys should be good for you (previously a high altitude variety of gracilis I think).

Yes, I do have Basselinia eriostachys "drip tip."  It is small but it has gone through two winters in the ground here, planted from a four inch pot.  It's a steady grower and it doesn't black spot for me in the winter.  

• Upvote 1