IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pritchardia unknown ID

Tracy

I was hoping to get ID help on a Pritchardia which I purchased several years ago and planted never knowing its identity.  Now that it is not just a tiny seedling, I'm hoping it is beginning to develop some clearer characteristics to identify it.  The tomententum is white on the new leaf spike as well as on the backside of the rachis569f9fea86665_Leafspike-0540.thumb.jpg.9

Pritchardia-0540.jpg

Pritchardia leaf-0540.jpg

Pritchardia --0540.jpg

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

I'd say P. Schattaueri... maybe. I'm no expert. But with most hawaiian pritchardia, you can't be sure until it flowers and fruits.

• Upvote 1

Hmmmm, those Pritchardia are very hard to I.D.  I'd have to disagree with Bruh regarding the possible schattrueri I.D.  P. shattaueri have a larger, flatter leaf in my experience.  Here's a pic below from Dave's garden from way back with a young Bill Sanford for scale.  If I remember correctly this is P. shattaueri and is consistent with the one I'm growing, i.e. large flat leaf.  So, on to Tracy's.....I don't know what it is.  Hahaha, sorry. That wedge shaped frond with the droopy tips should be a clue.  Does it have any lepidida (white or silver scales) on the undersides, or is is straight glossy green?  

Dave 022.jpg

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

1 hour ago, MattyB said:

Does it have any lepidida (white or silver scales) on the undersides, or is is straight glossy green?  

I don't think it has any lepidida on the undersides.  It's in the backyard of my Carlsbad garden, which I don't get in very often because it is a rental now.  I guess I will have to be patient and see what happens when it finally gets to flowering/fruiting size.  Much appreciated thoughts from both of you.

Well it doesn't look like it's getting much sun so it's a little stretched making the ID a little harder. I'm sure Rusty sold it to you and he only likes 3 or 4 pritchardias. Hmmm give me a minute. 

San Marcos CA

Looks exactly like my "blue moon" - which is the greenish Pritchardia I own. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

2 hours ago, MattyB said:

Hmmmm, those Pritchardia are very hard to I.D.  I'd have to disagree with Bruh regarding the possible schattrueri I.D.  P. shattaueri have a larger, flatter leaf in my experience.  Here's a pic below from Dave's garden from way back with a young Bill Sanford for scale.  If I remember correctly this is P. shattaueri and is consistent with the one I'm growing, i.e. large flat leaf.  So, on to Tracy's.....I don't know what it is.  Hahaha, sorry. That wedge shaped frond with the droopy tips should be a clue.  Does it have any lepidida (white or silver scales) on the undersides, or is is straight glossy green?  

Dave 022.jpg

That's my P. schautteri all right, and Bill.

That was taken back in the fall of 2006. Oh, a simpler and more innocent time. Simpler, anyway.

The following January, 2007, that same Pritchie was hit hard by the big freeze, but recovered. It's now about 25 feet tall.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

2 hours ago, Shon said:

Well it doesn't look like it's getting much sun so it's a little stretched making the ID a little harder. I'm sure Rusty sold it to you and he only likes 3 or 4 pritchardias. Hmmm give me a minute. 

Actually picked it up at a nursery in Fallbrook somewhere around 2008 or 2009, and it was probably about a 1 gallon.  The owner of the nursery didn't know which one it was either as he didn't specialize in palms.  You weren't far off the mark, as Rusty, Jessie and Phil have all helped me with some selections over the years.

Looks just like my pritchardia remota I got from bill at multiflora. 

• Upvote 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

7 hours ago, MattyB said:

Dave 022.jpg

Wow. Who is that young guy? 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

On 1/20/2016, 7:47:59, Stevetoad said:

Looks just like my pritchardia remota I got from bill at multiflora. 

I don't know think it was Multiflora that it came from, as they didn't specialize in palms.  Despite where it came from, remota looks like a possibility when I examine photos on the web.  Next time I get in that back yard, I will have to examine for lepidia, as Matty suggested.  I also see "scattered lepidia" as a characteristic under the Palmpedia listing for remota.  Thank you for your input!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2016, 9:50:50, Tracy said:

I don't know think it was Multiflora that it came from, as they didn't specialize in palms.  Despite where it came from, remota looks like a possibility when I examine photos on the web.  Next time I get in that back yard, I will have to examine for lepidia, as Matty suggested.  I also see "scattered lepidia" as a characteristic under the Palmpedia listing for remota.  Thank you for your input!

It has a remota vibe to me, too.

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

On 1/20/2016, 12:15:22, MattyB said:

Does it have any lepidida (white or silver scales) on the undersides, or is is straight glossy green?  

Was going through some old photos of it, and it does look like it has the white on the underside.  By the way Matty, tide was killing it this morning, you didn't miss anything.

20121103-IMG_1354.jpg

• 1 month later...

Got to take a couple of close ups today.  Same plant, one of the newer opened leaves and one just beginning to open up.

On 1/20/2016, 12:15:22, MattyB said:

20160405-104A1346.jpg

20160405-104A1347.jpg