IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Nannorrhops arabica (Silver)

TexasColdHardyPalms

To start off with I am very disappointed with this silver variant of Nannorrhops.  1G and 3G specimens burned with frost and 27-28 degrees and I even lost a few, while the smaller 1G green Ritcieana. look great.  I will leave larger ones outside to test next winter which should be larger 5G's by that time.   I don't know how these naturalize in the mountains of Afghanistan if they can't handle high 20's and frost. From what I see our normal winter would 100% completely kill 3G's and smaller.  These are not even Zone 9B when small.

• 1 year later...
On 1/18/2016, 3:15:03, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

To start off with I am very disappointed with this silver variant of Nannorrhops.  1G and 3G specimens burned with frost and 27-28 degrees and I even lost a few, while the smaller 1G green Ritcieana. look great.  I will leave larger ones outside to test next winter which should be larger 5G's by that time.   I don't know how these naturalize in the mountains of Afghanistan if they can't handle high 20's and frost. From what I see our normal winter would 100% completely kill 3G's and smaller.  These are not even Zone 9B when small.

Joseph - the Nannorrhops 'arabica' hail mostly from Iran, with some smaller populations in Oman, the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, and Qatar. They grow in more humid, but still arid, regions.  In many of these areas, there is minimal frost where they grow.  The 'arabica' do not grow in the mountains of Afghanistan.

If you are eager to keep trying the Nannorrhops arabica, make sure your seeds are sourced from the populations in the higher altitudes of the areas around Zahedan in Iran, further in the interior of the country.   Your seed source was likely from populations in the mountains near Makran, in Iran.  This is down on their southern coast and these 'arabica' would have minimal to no cold tolerance.  Both habit and growth are very similar, but make sure you are getting the 'arabica' seed collected from the inland mountains near Zahedan and not the mountains surrounding coastal and mild Makran.

That explains a lot. The n. Ritcheana are true zone 7 palms, which must be the afgan population.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

@TexasColdHardyPalms - correct. Nannorrhops ritchieana can be found in Afghanistan and northern Pakistan and also the Kashmir region.  Whilst, Nannorrhops 'arabica' can be found in Iran, southern Pakistan, Oman, the United Arab Emirates, and small populations in Saudi Arabia and Qatar.  Most forms of the 'arabica' are not cold tolerant and do not do well with winter moisture.  The 'ritchieana' are much more cold tolerant. They handle winter moisture a bit better too.  By far, the Kashmir form of ritchieana is the most cold and moisture tolerant.

• 11 months later...

Here's a side-by-side comparison of frond color between my in-ground N. ritchieana (L) with my new N. arabica (R) that just arrived today (via Phil/JM). It'll be interesting to compare their growth rates and hardiness in my garden, or as I like to think of it, my carbon capture & sequestration project. ;)

Nannorrhops.png

• Upvote 3

• 3 years later...
On 8/15/2018 at 6:50 PM, Hillizard said:

Here's a side-by-side comparison of frond color between my in-ground N. ritchieana (L) with my new N. arabica (R) that just arrived today (via Phil/JM). It'll be interesting to compare their growth rates and hardiness in my garden, or as I like to think of it, my carbon capture & sequestration project. ;)

Nannorrhops.png

So is either form noticeably faster growing? Am guessing that N. ritchieana is hardier?

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

My Nannorrhops ritchieana "Green Form" survived last February's Texas freeze no problem with temps at 6F and 9F, and 4+ days straight below freezing.  Only protection was a community pot thrown on top (it was less than a foot tall at the time).  No spear pull; not even any frond damage.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker