IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sago Seed Harvesting

JT in Japan

Not sure if I can post about Sagos, but let's see what happens. I've just collected a lot of seeds that I think are ripe, and I'm in the midst of cleaning them. I wonder if anyone can give me some pointers on how to proceed, or some 'gotchas' that i should be on the lookout for?

I've been watching some Youtube videos, which are fantastic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXnanzqQpbM

JT

008.thumb.JPG.ec0616ec7e40bbd3f540e632ec

011.thumb.JPG.857974c2adb7ff2883a137a3ac

020.thumb.JPG.b2110cc0ac8d826cabbe99a0d4

035.thumb.JPG.67fec2ea452e44a9577090a77e

• Upvote 1

Shimoda, Japan, Lat: 36.6N, Long: 138.8

Zone 9B (kinda, sorta), Pacific Coast, 1Km inland, 75M above sea level
Coldest lows (Jan): 2-5C (35-41F), Hottest highs (Aug): 32-33C (87-91F)

My understanding is that C. revoluta seeds are a long germination as the embryo is not mature until months after the fruit ripens off. I have waited nearly a year from crosses of sagos and the time for other Cycas species is substantial....patience is king.

Others may have much more salient advice.

• Upvote 1

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Thanks John. Yup, I expect to community pot these seeds, and forget about them for a couple years. Still, it's fun, ain't it! ;-)

Make sure you take precautions, the seeds are carcinogenic?  I think

• Upvote 1

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

18 hours ago, JT in Japan said:

Thanks John. Yup, I expect to community pot these seeds, and forget about them for a couple years. Still, it's fun, ain't it! ;-)

Always fun....make sure that you give them enough soil (use a palm/cactus mix or just sand if you wish) so the sinker can extend deep enough, at least 6 inches, better 12....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

19 hours ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

Good advice, David. I had to keep the bowls out of reach of my thirsty cats while I cleaned. And I followed the instructions on the video and disposed of the peelings responsibly by flushing them down the toilet (and let me tell you: that load into the bowl reminded me way too much of the ending to a couple dates I had with that slut Tequila!).

JT

10 hours ago, John Case said:

Always fun....make sure that you give them enough soil (use a palm/cactus mix or just sand if you wish) so the sinker can extend deep enough, at least 6 inches, better 12....

Good advice again. I cannot find palm or cactus mix, and all I have is beach sand, which is supposed to be bad...? So I'll try perlite and peat moss, per the video.

JT

I got 140 seeds before I finally gave up (but there are still 50-60 unpeeled if I get the energy). Good run, I think.

JT

007.thumb.JPG.b5518cfc2c95491daa97d80a4b

006.thumb.JPG.33691d8500435c6850e7004571

• Upvote 1

I never clean mine and just let put them in a bag and set them up for 4 months before planting (so it matures). Dip/dust in fungicide (or I do) and plant in normal potting mix. Easy germination.  

Lol ....tequila 

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I set mine outside in a pot uncleaned over winter and into the summer, then I fill the bucket up with water and let them soak for a few days in the hot sun. After that the seed coat falls right off like an orange peel. Takes about 30-45 minutes to clean about 1000 at that point.

11 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I set mine outside in a pot uncleaned over winter and into the summer, then I fill the bucket up with water and let them soak for a few days in the hot sun. After that the seed coat falls right off like an orange peel. Takes about 30-45 minutes to clean about 1000 at that point.

Sold! I'll take that plan and run with it!

• 2 months later...

I put my cleaned seeds into the dirt this weekend, March 20. They're on the west side of the house, in 80% shade, but open to the skies for rain. The planters give them about 5 inches of dirt to grow into. Now, I wait,... for 2 years or so. I still have about 50-60 uncleaned seeds which I'll also lay in, but will wait for some summer heat to use the hints above to peel them. And I have 40 pups that I'll put into individual pots. Pics of that to follow in a few months.

003.JPG

004.JPG

I just cleaned a 5gallon bucket full and am planting them tomorrow as well.  They usually start to germinate after 2 weeks for me.

Nice harvest !

Ur seeds are pollinate for sure ? Have u germ inside ? I've harvested some seed en italia and none are pollinated, cut one to be sure :unsure:

20 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I just cleaned a 5gallon bucket full and am planting them tomorrow as well.  They usually start to germinate after 2 weeks for me.

What kind of weather do you  have these days? Here, my lows are moving from +5C to +10C, with daytime highs till in the low teens. Within a couple weeks though, the lows should stay in the teens, and highs will be pushing 20C.

JT

17 hours ago, Zifool said:

Nice harvest !

Ur seeds are pollinate for sure ? Have u germ inside ? I've harvested some seed en italia and none are pollinated, cut one to be sure :unsure:

I really don't know if they're good or not. I'm doing this by trial and error. No, I didn't germinate inside, but they sat for 2 months in cool, dry storage. Now I'll just let nature take over and see what comes of it. 

JT

Your seeds are good, I can tell by looking at them.  Cycas seeds are like zamia and ceratozamia in which they do not get to full size if they are not pollinated.  Encephalartos is not like this. You probably saw a few small ones in the top of the plant when you harvested the seeds.  Those small ones were bad.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I'm potting up a bunch of pups I got off of the original sago plant in January. I dosed them liberally with anti-fungal powder back then, and they've been sitting in a dry dark spot till now. But look at the mold I discovered this morning. Are these a lost cause for me? Can I clean them up and still pot them? Thoughts?

JT

image.thumb.jpg.f9a5e8439967a2ac53846328

image.thumb.jpg.35f8fe21c027b7d56e7cce7b

image.thumb.jpg.0504d4ee5070c4a18b738fee

I ended up soaking them in a diluted bleach solution for five minutes, then potting them as usual. Time will tell.

jt

• 1 month later...

A little late to the party.... but i germinated 100 or so seeds using one of those big plastic containers with a lid. I filled it with moist perlite and laid them on top of there perlite and closed the lid and left it in a warm, but shaded area of my porch. I don't remember how long it took for the first to germinate, but it was at least 6 months. There were stragglers that still ended up germinating even two years later -- long after I forgot about them.

The only problem left is figuring out what to do with all the seedlings. Right now I have a few community pots full of seedlings and no real desire to do anything with them. Sagos are very common here and pups are abundant. I hoped that maybe I would get one variegate or odd-leafed one, but it doesn't look like it.

Thanks for the feedback, Msporty. Mine haven't moved since I put them in their pots. We're just finishing up with our brief rainy season and the summer heat is waiting in the wings, so let's see if that gets them moving.

Cheers,

JT

On 18/1/2016, 4:51:40, Alicehunter2000 said:

Actualy neurotoxical and suspected to cause multisclerose, me thinks.