IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

the stock market of the United States.......

trioderob

alot of technical damage going on this week ......

world wide liquidity is drying up and forced selling is taking place

you guys bullish or bearish ?

Bearish, for now. Reminicient of late 2000, and late 2007, looks like lower highs and lower lows. Sold most of my longs last July/Aug when the uptrends started breaking, few got stopped out. I'm holding a few positions that have done well so far, but have stops on them anyway.

Trying to keep my money in bonds and real estate for now. Stocks are long overdue for a correction I think

here is the thing to ask yourself

is this a short term correction  -or the start of a rare inflection point leading to a long term bear market.

what will you do if the market just trickles down for a year ?????

On 1/15/2016, 12:16:10, trioderob said:

Dean-

you bullish or bearish ???????

I don't know. I think it is too late to sell. But I don't think I would be buying, even if I had any "ammo."

I heard Mark Cuban say, "If you don't know what to do, then don't do anything." And that makes sense to me right here.

• Upvote 1

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

I think this might be an extension of what happened in the summer.  With this quick downward movement, any bad news can spark a major sell off.  I wonder if we will be seeing 11-13,000 in a few months...

I think that when it does recover, it will be pretty quick since there will be a good amount of cash sitting around.

Zone 7a/b Delaware

Unusual Plants

“The market can remain irrational -  longer than you can remain solvent.”

- Shilling

Edited by trioderob

Google getting hammered...IBM up....everything is spinning out of control! :)

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

thing to remember is that this is not a "oil " crash

in other words the market is not crashing based totally on oil

its a factor  - but far from the main cause

what we have here is a liquidity problem - a banking problem world wide

when the fed indicated that they were raising rates it created a domino effect to the other countries who were making dollar based loans.

in other words the cost of getting money to lend (dollars - not their domestic money ) skyrocketed

i am sure someone will call bs on me and i will have to turn around and prove it

Edited by trioderob

• 2 weeks later...
On January 27, 2016 at 7:20:21 PM, trioderob said:

“The market can remain irrational -  longer than you can remain solvent.”

- Shilling

Probably my favorite market related quote, but John Maynard Keynes said it.

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

greek banks went absolutely into the abyss today

here is where you "buy and hold" types really get to test your internal fortitude.

Kim-

what are you telling your customers - in other words do you feel this is a fantastic buying opportunity ???????

Is everyone having fun ?

what are you going to do if this is a year long bear market that sucks another 20% of your savings ....do you have the belly for it.?

other the other hand we may be near a trade-able bottom as some technology stocks have been decimated. its alwasys darkest just before the dawn......

some of my indicators are showing that we are one final "wash-out" from a bottom.

the above statements are for entertainment purposes only.

always seek the advice of a licensed financial advisor before making a real trade

Edited by trioderob

I haven't been concerned until this week. The US is economy solid. It is very possible we'll have a bear market, but I don't expect the US to have a recession and bear markets that don't coincide with recessions are fairly rare... Europe is another story entirely, we're seeing some scary signs out of Europe right now. As you mentioned, Greek banks have had a dismal week but we've also seen peripheral-core spreads widen. To make matters worse, there are some rumors going around about Deutsche Bank. 

check this out:

maybe not as solid as it appears ????

https://www.newyorkfed.org/medialibrary/media/survey/empire/empire2016/2016_01report.pdf?la=en

"Business Conditions at Their Worst since the Great Recession Business activity declined for New York manufacturing firms more sharply than at any time since the 2007-09 recession, according to the January 2016 survey. The general business conditions index remained below zero for a sixth consecutive month, dropping thirteen points to -19.4, its lowest level since early 2009. The new orders index plunged seventeen points to -23.5, indicating a substantial decline in orders "

Edited by trioderob

3 hours ago, trioderob said:

check this out:

maybe not as solid as it appears ????

https://www.newyorkfed.org/medialibrary/media/survey/empire/empire2016/2016_01report.pdf?la=en

"Business Conditions at Their Worst since the Great Recession Business activity declined for New York manufacturing firms more sharply than at any time since the 2007-09 recession, according to the January 2016 survey. The general business conditions index remained below zero for a sixth consecutive month, dropping thirteen points to -19.4, its lowest level since early 2009. The new orders index plunged seventeen points to -23.5, indicating a substantial decline in orders "

If your focus is solely on manufacturing then no, but that only accounts for 12% of the US economy.

if we can get to "panic" thats great time to buy back in.

thats when folks no longer use logic and emotion takes over.

(if prices keep eroding there WILL be panic )

"its never too late to sell"-

Trioderob 

I am outta here - you folks have fun

Edited by trioderob

you forgot one thing - if the producers come to an agreement to cut production it can go up anyway.

just what is happening now and it up 6% in a few hours....................clunk

28 minutes ago, trioderob said:

you forgot one thing - if the producers come to an agreement to cut production it can go up anyway.

just what is happening now and it up 6% in a few hours....................clunk

We've had multiple rumors but nothing has come of them.  It will be temporary.  I don't think any of the countries will come to an agreement in worry that others will break it.  They need all the money they can get now.  I also think Saudi Arabia's goal of crushing competitors hasn't had enough time to work.  In addition, they can sell a lot of gold.  If the price goes up a lot due to market weakness, they can go by a lot further.

Zone 7a/b Delaware

Unusual Plants

On 2/12/2016, 12:29:06, trioderob said:

It looks like the talks were real but only a freeze contingent on everyone else freezing output.  And given Iran just started shipping oil, I don't think even a freeze is going to help much. Oil is on its way back down...

Zone 7a/b Delaware

Unusual Plants

11 hours ago, trioderob said:

oil up again - this time 6%

I wonder if this is just short covering.  I also noticed other commodities such as potash went up a lot with the bad news.

Zone 7a/b Delaware

Unusual Plants

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2016‎ ‎7‎:‎51‎:‎59‎, Turtile said:

It looks like the talks were real but only a freeze contingent on everyone else freezing output.  And given Iran just started shipping oil, I don't think even a freeze is going to help much. Oil is on its way back down...

very bad call -  oil jumped 30%