IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

IPS Auction Site

LJG

Hello,

The IPS is looking at the possibility of adding an eBay style auction site to our new website. Plans for it have been in the works for almost two years now. The software is installed and ready to handle fundraising auctions, but before we went any further with development I wanted to get an idea from those that buy and sell here if they would find value of an auction site. It would be run just like eBay with bidding, reserves, "buy it now", etc. The fees would be small like $2.00 (not set in stone) to post what ever. IPS Members being able to reach more people to sell their plants might be of benefit to them and the IPS can make a few dollars. Of course there are still details at the Board level to be worked out, but I wanted to see if it was worth the effort to explore further. 

Any ideas, request, concerns? 

Thanks.

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Sounds good to me.  I'm all for it.  I already list palms in the For Sale section here, but I'm not opposed to the IPS getting a little something out of it.  I also use the auction page on the Tropiscape website, and it does create better exposure for items I am trying to sell.

Would this replace the "For Sale" listings here?  Assuming this idea is additive, and not a replacement for current forum pages, I'm on board.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

No plans to replace by me. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

I think an eBay style auction site  would be great if the commissions are low and exposure is good.

How do you plan on driving sellers to the new site? Any plans to advertise or do any marketing?

As a seller myself I will be more than happy to post lots of cool items for sale for both local pick up  and can ship the smaller stuff in the mail.

How close is this idea to becoming a reality?

Thanks for the hard work as always Len :) 

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

We have a few things in the works to market the new site. Hope we can get traffic up. However, who knows how much traffic we can get or if the thing dies on the vine. I believe it is worth a try. If we can patch up the little details, it will become a reality. We know the auction site used for fundraising will certainly take place. As example Jeff Marcus said he would use it to put some rare palms up for the IPS. 

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

36 minutes ago, LJG said:

We have a few things in the works to market the new site. Hope we can get traffic up. However, who knows how much traffic we can get or if the thing dies on the vine. I believe it is worth a try. If we can patch up the little details, it will become a reality. We know the auction site used for fundraising will certainly take place. As example Jeff Marcus said he would use it to put some rare palms up for the IPS. 

Jeff putting some cool rare stuff up for bid... That's what I'm talking about :) 

Sunset zone 24

I think it's a good idea. Not so much for me selling, although it could get real tempting probably....but for me as a buyer which in turns supports the seller and the IPS. I would be really interested in buying seeds from others and knowing that their most likely real fresh when bought.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks everyone for replies and comments. Love to hear feedback from more.

Jeff, this is part of our thinking behind it with a trust component. As a member benefit, you can sell and the IPS will charge a small fee. Details to be worked out but let's say it is $2.00. Mutual benefit here I believe. Now of course anyone can buy. While the IPS will run the eBay approach to terms and treat it similar to how we do these sale threads, I believe buyers knowing they are buying from IPS members might find more trust in their purchase. EBay is the wild west. We can all laugh at how many we see "rare" this and "super rare" that on common stuff. We can also laugh at the wrong descriptions or photos being used. Even the wrong plants being sold. Buyer beware. Our members won't want to mislead and it could create a better, more trusting buying environment for the purchaser. Like with the for sale threads here, if we get complaints of abuse, bad sellers, etc, we can remove them. eBay never does or let's them sign up under a new account. 

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

3 hours ago, LJG said:

Thanks everyone for replies and comments. Love to hear feedback from more.

Jeff, this is part of our thinking behind it with a trust component. As a member benefit, you can sell and the IPS will charge a small fee. Details to be worked out but let's say it is $2.00. Mutual benefit here I believe. Now of course anyone can buy. While the IPS will run the eBay approach to terms and treat it similar to how we do these sale threads, I believe buyers knowing they are buying from IPS members might find more trust in their purchase. EBay is the wild west. We can all laugh at how many we see "rare" this and "super rare" that on common stuff. We can also laugh at the wrong descriptions or photos being used. Even the wrong plants being sold. Buyer beware. Our members won't want to mislead and it could create a better, more trusting buying environment for the purchaser. Like with the for sale threads here, if we get complaints of abuse, bad sellers, etc, we can remove them. eBay never does or let's them sign up under a new account. 

Maybe the fee could be a percentage of the total price, up to $2.00? I imagine that a flat fee would discourage people selling/buying small lots of seeds, which is an important thing for small scale growers. 

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Hi Keith, yes that would have been preferred. The issue is that if we do after-sale fees, the IPS will need to act as the money collector and auditor of auctions. We would need to get people today the invoice. Also, if the fees only come to lets say $.50, that is about what it cost to use PayPal for us each transaction. With a prepaid fee, it goes right into our account. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Any new way to be able to buy palms I'm all for. There has been enough sellers of palms that ship that a lot has been learned as far as packaging, and ship time. Hope this happens.

• 10 months later...

This is a fantastic idea.  I've windered about it before myself in fact.  My thughths were an eBay store but this sounds even better.   Has there been anymore movement or follow up on it? Just wondering.  Mauve I've missed another post? 

Still chugging away. All volunteer organization so things take longer. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

16 hours ago, LJG said:

Still chugging away. All volunteer organization so things take longer. 

keep up the good work over there Len :)

Sunset zone 24

:P excellent

idea!

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast