IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

yabazid

I got four windmills field grown each around 3-4 ft trunk and transplanted to my property. Planted in full sun (sun all day long) and exposed to all kinds of wind. This was around April.

I apologize for the pic quality but this all I could find from that date

IMG_3702.PNG

IMG_3703 (2).jpg

• Like 1

awesome! they came roaring back to life and look great!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Thank you guys for the great replies.Hydrogen peroxide was my best friend through their recovering year.

I planted the jubaea in my backyard. Its too precious to plant it too exposed. I built over head protection of clear plastic to protect it from too much rain/freezing rain before I left overseas.

Btw most of these pics were taken by my friend back home

Edited by yabazid
  • Upvote 1

Did that palmetto make it in the background? 

Looking good! Trachycarpus love it in our area. 

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

The palmettos didn't make it sadly. It was a bad winter and was experimenting with those two hurricane cut from florida. So odds were they were going to die but they had a good price on them for delivering and installing. 

Pics showing the sad palmetto day

4e6a4fc1292daac3b8aa8223b393c57e.jpg

6bfb853102d1e801505c27589800a45f.jpg

So I decided to just get baby palmettos instead and enjoy taking care of them as they grow.  

This is a sabal palmetto I got from Garys Nursery in North Carolina. I also got me a birmingham and a brazoria. 

IMG_3427.JPG

IMG_3425.JPG

IMG_3426.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

And for the medical lab I invest in, I got regenerated Sabal Palmettos as an experiment also. Now I am very optimistic for those since transplant shock due to root disturbance is minimized. I have around 15 Palmettos transplanted. 

I feel like I am the only one in this town to plant palms and give it a more SC look! :wacko:

AAAAAAnd i dont know why it doesn't let me upload pics anymore!!

Edited by yabazid

And just a few days ago they sent me some pics after installing some lights and the flag pole they installed earlier that day.

So I am still optimistic so far

IMG_3686.JPG

IMG_3687.JPG

IMG_3683.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Wow, loving the pictures. Those trachy's are really starting to put on some trunk! It's sad but people just don't experiment. Hopefully, by seeing these palmettos they will be more inclined to trying palms.

Great job with the Trachycarpus!  Are those larger Palmetto's also planted in zone 8a at the Medical Lab?  I look forward to seeing how your new sabals do, sorry to hear the large one didn't pull through. Knock on wood, but so far the east seems to be enjoying a non-winter. That would be great if it continued to give your palms a very gentle cool season and additional time to get established.

Good luck!

-Chris

Awesome pictures. Palmettos are full proof in zone 8a once established, after all they're native to the outer banks on bald head island. 

I'm really happy to see that you're planting palms around the area! I think mound planting would increase drainage and thus survival rates. 

How much was it to have those palmettos installed? 

Thank you all for the kind replies. 

Smith: yea I hope people get to that. I think palms would brighten up this town. 

I got a lot of compliments for the palmettos as well as "we are not in the Sahara desert to have palms" people. Maybe they don't realize the palmetto is on everything related to SC :lol::lol::lol:. You also see more palms if you travel an hour more east but not here. 

Chris: The mature palmettos you see in the pics above are planted at the medical lab in Zone 8a. Yet to meet their first winter. I am sure they can grow in Z8a, it's just the establishing period and luck!

Brad: thank you for the kind words. I am hoping to plant more palms around this town and specifically mature palmettos if the ones at the lab make it out of this winter. If not, I will stick with potted palmettos coming originally from bald head island. 

I paid around $500 for each. I know they are much cheaper, but getting them installed and a year warranty I think I got a good deal for the conditions they will be in. 

I am hoping this experiment works out. I would really love to see palmettos in this town and I know a lot of people would appreciate it.

• 5 months later...
On 4-6-2016 09:32:26, yabazid said:

updates

2016-06-03-PHOTO-00004890.jpg

2016-06-03-PHOTO-00004876.jpg

2016-06-03-PHOTO-00004874.jpg

2016-06-03-PHOTO-00004875.jpg

2016-06-03-PHOTO-00004873.jpg

Nice T. fortunei is that! In wich state is that? T. fortunei is coldhardy till zone 7 climates. So till arround minus 22 C for a sort time in cold winters. But best to plant them at a shelterd spot in colder areas, not in the open as on the picture. Because when you really get a hard winter good sheltere makes all the difference!

3 hours ago, Explorer said:

Nice T. fortunei is that! In wich state is that? T. fortunei is coldhardy till zone 7 climates. So till arround minus 22 C for a sort time in cold winters. But best to plant them at a shelterd spot in colder areas, not in the open as on the picture. Because when you really get a hard winter good sheltere makes all the difference!

This is in South Carolina zone 8a. They are taking the cold just fine here but they can get beat up by wind sometimes. 

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Any update on the Sabal palmettos at the medical lab? I am assuming they survived? I saw full head Sabal palmetto in upstate S.C. before. 

• Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

On 12/22/2015, 3:08:59, yabazid said:

And just a few days ago they sent me some pics after installing some lights and the flag pole they installed earlier that day.

IMG_3686.JPG

IMG_3687.JPG

IMG_3683.JPG

On 10/30/2017, 12:08:58, yabazid said:
On 12/22/2015, 3:08:59, yabazid said:

IMG_3686.JPG

IMG_3687.JPG

IMG_3683.JPG

IMG_5102.jpg

IMG_5104.jpg

IMG_5100.jpg

Wonderful palms. I pass by these everyday on my way to work. I also love the row of Trachys planted behind the lab. Anderson has some amazing palms. Have you seen on nearby bellview rd many homeowners have Trachys planted and one guy has 2 mature butia.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Any update on the Sabal palmettos at the medical lab? I am assuming they survived? I saw full head Sabal palmetto in upstate S.C. before. 

yea all survived :) plus since then the lab expanded and more palmettos planted. I will updated with photos when I get a chance

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Ninja88 said:

Wonderful palms. I pass by these everyday on my way to work. I also love the row of Trachys planted behind the lab. Anderson has some amazing palms. Have you seen on nearby bellview rd many homeowners have Trachys planted and one guy has 2 mature butia.

Trachys behind the lab i got from some guy on craigslist lol They look good now :lol:

Is the Jubaea still chugging along? You have that rugged clay in the upstate. I remember it clearly when I lived up in the Greenville area 10 years or so ago. It sticks to everything like glue. 

Looks great!

Edited by RJ
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, yabazid said:

yea all survived :) plus since then the lab expanded and more palmettos planted. I will updated with photos when I get a chance

Awesome! Now I bet it is looking like true South Carolina! 

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

I am seeing more palmettos in the area, There are a few new ones installed on wade Hampton Blvd and a Mcdonalds on Wade Hampton! Also I saw a new transplant at a bank on south pleasantburg. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/30/2018, 11:25:55, RJ said:

Is the Jubaea still chugging along? You have that rugged clay in the upstate. I remember it clearly when I lived up in the Greenville area 10 years or so ago. It sticks to everything like glue. 

Looks great!

Jubaea is dead :crying:

20 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Awesome! Now I bet it is looking like true South Carolina! 

Getting there slowly :evil:

27 minutes ago, Brad Mondel said:

I am seeing more palmettos in the area, There are a few new ones installed on wade Hampton Blvd and a Mcdonalds on Wade Hampton! Also I saw a new transplant at a bank on south pleasantburg. 

Definitely people learn that palm trees can grow in the upstate and palm lovers are growing :greenthumb:

• 1 year later...
12 minutes ago, yabazid said:

They’ve grown so fast 

4975E58C-7AD1-4477-B4BF-9F46C69B0279.jpeg

5941E1B8-9690-4E27-924A-81B84CE58F26.jpeg

C9130560-CB16-4455-84F1-3CD194B5513F.jpeg

Those look great, hopefully mine will look something like that in a few years

• Like 1

So awesome...  all you need is patience.  Looks great...  good job!

• Like 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

As you can tell the palmetto has grown so much. 8ACA6ABC-78D3-44A0-82B8-CA3C6084557C.thumb.jpeg.563b9432e71ea2b9f82ff6ef9cfe9e23.jpeg
Brazoria in the corner is finally picking up speed.492F1617-A7F9-4C99-93E2-E2B59FA0D210.thumb.jpeg.14184e966984e32bd183e4b74538379c.jpeg

The Birmingham as expected is very slow but still got a little thicker at the base. 4E3CF7DF-F005-4535-A7AE-C033BC1DC0F7.thumb.jpeg.7d32bbe7e3df0aabd4c2acffa6f280a3.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Really nice, Yabazid. Palmettos look great when they're young as soon as they start to produce big leaves - and from then on. In fact, today I was just conducting a search for a big young fan palm that will look full and sumptuous in the dappled shade of a live oak. I settled on S. causiarum, hoping it would be a little bit easier to transplant.

Edited by Manalto
typo
  • Like 1