IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PSSC ANNUAL BANQUET, 2016

DoomsDave

THE 2016 PSSC ANNUAL BANQUET and MEETING

The upcoming Banquet will be held at the Los Angeles County Arboretum on Saturday, January 23, 2016. The Arboretum, located in Arcadia off the 210 freeway, features a large collection of palms, plus other California-suitable plants from all over the world, including Australia and South Africa. The Arboretum is also inhabited by peafowl who will strut their stuff. There's a gift shop and plant store where you might be able to buy that plant you fell in love with while touring the gardens.

Our speaker will be Len Geiger, who will discuss and show pictures of his trip to Madagascar with the International Palm Society earlier this year. In addition to seeing gardens on the beaten path, Mr. Geiger also vigorously hiked far off it, and saw and photographed many rare palms, some not known to have been photographed before. Highlights include Dypsis "Black Stem," Ravenea glauca (which looks very different from the species we're familiar with that's commonly sold under that name), and

a "monster Dypsis." 

Cost of the banquet is $43 per person. Parking and admission to the Arboretum are free. The address of The LA County Arboretum is 301 North Baldwin Ave; Arcadia, CA 91007. Phone: 626.821.3222.

The Arboretum is located south of the I-210 Freeway. From east or west, exit south on Baldwin Avenue. The Arboretum is on the right, across Baldwin Avenue from the Westfield Santa Anita mall.

PAYMENT

Attendees can pay at the door, though there is a possibility the event could sell out. Advance payments by checks payable to "PSSC" in the amount of $43 per person can be mailed to: David Bleistein; P.O. Box 6; La Habra, CA 90633-0006. Payments can also be made via the PSSC's website

at http://palmssc.org/. If you have any questions, please call Mr. Bleistein at 323-481-5071 or via e-mail at dbleistein@rosen-law.com.

PLANT AUCTION

There will be a plant auction at this meeting after the speaker's presentation. The best plants for the auction are rare palms in 1 - 5 gallon pots. Please, no common palms, such as Washingtonia, Phoenix canariensis, etc. Cash, credit cards and checks accepted as payment.

ITINERARY

- PSSC Board meeting, 9:30 a.m.

- Tour the Arboretum in all its glory, 10:30 a.m.

- Lunch Begins 12:00

- General Meeting 1:00 p.m.

- Presentation by Len Geiger 1:30 p.m.

- Plant auction 2:30 p.m.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I grew up down the street from the LA arboretum and have been there countless times.  It never gets old walking around and taking in the sights.

I would highly recommend coming to the PSSC banquet to see for yourself.

Did I mention they have tons peacocks roaming the place. 

39584-RBLOG-APRILCOVER22.jpg

peacock.jpg

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Once again, I entertain the idea of flying out for this ( did so many years ago ), but it always conflicts with my convention that I am part of earlier in the week. Hope it's a great turn out!

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff hope you can be there in spirit

send the checks

Len will be there

or you will be square . . . .

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I don't know NOTHIN'

URK

21 minutes ago, Moose said:

My palmy mind is obsessed on what the "monster Dypsis" is ??? :huh:

soon the secrete will be unlocked..

Sunset zone 24

13 hours ago, Moose said:

My palmy mind is obsessed on what the "monster Dypsis" is ??? :huh:

Moose, it has no name and was only discovered 3 years ago in what looks to be a remnant forest outside a small village. Dransfeld said KEW is making an expedition to that area in April to hopefully name it. Jason and I were lucky enough to end up in that area by chance alone on our quest to see Dypsis ambositrae in habitat. It is 60 KMs southeast of Ambositra, so a good candidate for SoCal. Plus we found it growing in full sun from a small age, which is another bonus. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

On December 14, 2015 at 8:08:13 PM, DoomsDave said:

THE 2016 PSSC ANNUAL BANQUET and MEETING

Our speaker will be Len Geiger, who will discuss and show pictures of his trip to Madagascar with the International Palm Society earlier this year. In addition to seeing gardens on the beaten path, Mr. Geiger also vigorously hiked far off it, and saw and photographed many rare palms, some not known to have been photographed before. Highlights include Dypsis "Black Stem," Ravenea glauca (which looks very different from the species we're familiar with that's commonly sold under that name), and

a "monster Dypsis." 

LOL, Dave. Everything photographed by myself had been photographed before. But I like the pitch :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Len,

Just curious, have you ever given a talk before in front of a crowd?

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Show us a pic of this monster Dypsis to get us in the mood to attend!

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

1 hour ago, Jeff Searle said:

Len,

Just curious, have you ever given a talk before in front of a crowd?

Of course. Why do you ask?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

No, different. I posted photos of the palm on Planet Palm a month or so ago.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

No real reason, just never had heard of you giving one. And besides...if you were really good as a speaker I would cancel my plans and rush out to get a front row seat.:rolleyes:

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Anything Madagascar would be well worth it!

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2015, 7:17:44, LJG said:

No, different. I posted photos of the palm on Planet Palm a month or so ago.

Sunset zone 24

Will there be seeds of Doom distributed to the attendees ?

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

8 hours ago, Moose said:

Will there be seeds of Doom distributed to the attendees ?

I'm sure Dave will be sowing his seeds again :lol:

Sunset zone 24

3 hours ago, Josh-O said:

I'm sure Dave will be sowing his seeds again :lol:

Will his Karaoke Band be entertaining? Seedy Dave and the Seeds of Doom, their music is country hip hop. :lol:

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Moose said:

Will his Karaoke Band be entertaining? Seedy Dave and the Seeds of Doom, their music is country hip hop. :lol:

I like it! It has a nice ring to it.

perhaps we can call his back up dancers "The Dweezls":lol:

Sunset zone 24

11 hours ago, Moose said:

22 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

I like it! It has a nice ring to it.

perhaps we can call his back up dancers "The Dweezls":lol:

:floor:

2 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

Pretty good guys!

2 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

Pretty good guys!

:) 

Sunset zone 24

AND NOW!
You can sign up and pay online.

We expect to sell out, do sign up soon . . . .

5 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

AND NOW!
You can sign up and pay online.

We expect to sell out, do sign up soon . . . .

Its the band, large groupie following. Get your tickets now before its too late ........B)

Any chance of Len's talk later being viewable online?

Maybe as a member's only perk? Sure wish I could be there!

Have fun everybody!

Cindy Adair

On 1/7/2016, 10:16:10, Cindy Adair said:

Any chance of Len's talk later being viewable online?

Maybe as a member's only perk? Sure wish I could be there!

Have fun everybody!

Dave, I think you should make this happen :) 

Sunset zone 24

On 1/5/2016, 2:25:51, Moose said:

Its the band, large groupie following. Get your tickets now before its too late ........B)

nah, It never sells out. We need more members/ new blood to attend!!!

Sunset zone 24

On 1/8/2016, 11:17:15, Josh-O said:

nah, It never sells out. We need more members/ new blood to attend!!!

Well, this year it might.

Len's the speaker.

Compelling.

Madagascar.

Stories of the high country way way off the beaten path.

And, plants to see again, maybe when they have seeds!

There's usually a mad rush at the end.

14 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Well, this year it might.

Len's the speaker.

Compelling.

Madagascar.

Stories of the high country way way off the beaten path.

And, plants to see again, maybe when they have seeds!

There's usually a mad rush at the end.

That would be great :) 

Sunset zone 24

I'll bet a dweezil o'gold against your soul that we'll sell out . . . .

I just registered and paid via the website.. anyway to verify this at your end Dave?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

33 minutes ago, BS Man about Palms said:

I just registered and paid via the website.. anyway to verify this at your end Dave?

There is, you did, and I did!

Good to see you!