IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lytocaryum weddellianum (Syagrus weddelliana) grown up

Kai

Thanks guys! I can't wait for them to get some color again!

I'm thinking of repotting the palm after these seeds have matured. The current pot is large enough but it's not very stable. I'm thinking of a much wider and heavier clay pot. With good drainage of course.

This way I can put it outside in summer without worrying of it falling over.

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/01/2018, 16:17:41, Palmensammler said:

Hi Ben,

the problem is our customs service. Any plant without certificates will be destroyed. I will never try again as I already had to pay for. Therefore my only opportunity is growing them from seeds or pay a lot of money and risk to receive a dead plant.

You're lucky. Keep us updated.

Eckhard

i had some palms from patric opened by customs, they inspected and then repackaged them and sent them to me unharmed.i think its because patric grows them in vermiculite the customs assumes they will be ok 

I have to agree with Eckhard on some point. It's kind of a hassle to get living plants through customs... Assuming that Dutch and German customs don't differ too much.

I had great difficulty with getting a large floribunda order through customs in 2015. I had to learn my way around the bureaucracy of customs and postal service to finally get the package delivered to me, just in time.

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Kai, I have today taken the first steps by planting 2/4 butia catarinensis in my large polytunnel. they look to be sexually mature one is even holding small fruits so in a few months maybe we can try with lytocaryum pollen???

20180219_174327.jpg

• Upvote 3

awesome, i'm really excited about this, i think a catarinensis x lyto would give a very attractive small palm. 

I also have some other dwarf butia  that grew really fast in pots inside the polytunnel last year so i might plant them inside and wait until they flower. could be maybe a couple of years though , some other people had the siblings from a few dwarfs (false Archeri) that i have and they have flowered already. but they are a bit bigger  than mine

I have some  dwarfs bigger,  but this one doubled its size last year at least, maybe 2-4 years it might start flowering, so not long in palm terms

I20180219_174300.thumb.jpg.5e0f57d6df89cf

Edited by Jamesasb
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Kai,

nice to see their growth.

This palm is still on my list but I'll try this from seeds sometimes in the future.

Eckhard

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

On 21.04.2018, 21:22:12, Palmensammler said:

Hi Kai,

nice to see their growth.

This palm is still on my list but I'll try this from seeds sometimes in the future.

Eckhard

I found a nice supplier based in Portugal. He should have some seeds in couple of weeks. Found him on Ebay last year :)

On 27/4/2018 21:53:32, Reynevan said:

I found a nice supplier based in Portugal. He should have some seeds in couple of weeks. Found him on Ebay last year :)

What is his name on eBay?

08053.gif

On 18-4-2018 14:24:46, Kai said:

Again exactly a month later. April 1st.

20180418_142126.thumb.jpg.3801b7cd086ab9

20180501_163205.thumb.jpg.d3981d183c8172

Another month has passed. Slowly at the tips some color is coming through. I think they're getting ready to split again...

• Upvote 1

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to leave the seeds a bit longer on their bract. They still seem to be firmly attached even though the fruits are opening and getting color.

Last years' seeds I took off at an earlier stage when the fruits just started showing signs of splitting. All seeds were viable and germinated but the seedlings appeared a little weak and "dwarfed" compared to the seedlings that came from the seeds that I got from Len in 2015 for instance. Those seeds were larger and more spherical in shape as well. Also the seeds from last year detached from the little seedling quite early which I interpret as a sign of them allready exhausted off food for the seedlings. This all resulted in small seedlings that had to fend for themselves at an early stage. They all survived and grow well now but I think they could have had a better start if I had left them a bit longer with their mother. Oh well, still learning. I wonder if my above thoughts are correct and with these new seeds we will find out! I leave them on untill they are ready to drop by themselves this time!

• Upvote 2

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Kai, glad to see these have done well for you inside! I just got a few that I plan to get in a pot and stick by my window in the living room! They’re already at seeding size so they should do alright!

2 hours ago, Kai said:

The first seed has fallen..

20180522_113800.thumb.jpg.24cc520cf342c7

Very nice Kai! I have a couple flower pods coming up on mine. How long did it take for the first seed to drop?

27D062A2-2EBF-4696-BFAE-B8EFAA422369.jpeg

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Ztorch said:

Very nice Kai! I have a couple flower pods coming up on mine. How long did it take for the first seed to drop?

I pollinated the female flowers somewhere at the end of december 2017. So you can do the math. Looks like you should put a baggy around your inflo to collect the pollen (now is the time). If you watch closely you can see that after some time all of the smaller male flowers have dropped and the fatter female flowers start opening up. That is the time to take your baggy with fallen male flowers and pollen and start brushing the female flowers. Good luck, it's a lot of work!

• Upvote 1

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Hi Kai,

good luck for the germination of these. As they are really fresh they should do great.

I'm a little bit jealous :rolleyes:

Eckhard

• 2 weeks later...
On 22.5.2018, 14:32:27, Ztorch said:

27D062A2-2EBF-4696-BFAE-B8EFAA422369.jpeg

Your Lyto seems to have grown an impressive trunk already; :o do you know how old it is? :huh:

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

6 minutes ago, Kai said:

It appears that Lytocaryum batavum has spread its offspring all the way to the Czech republic. Now let's hope for good germination and many growth updates on palmtalk!

Thank you so much! I hope they will germinate in my conditions, they are planted in light substrate and placed in my palm aquarium with temperature about 26-28°CIMG_20180605_121912.thumb.jpg.2396dd62d3

• Upvote 3

Update: all seeds germinate! IMG_20180612_112154.thumb.jpg.79dc9e5047

I planted them together into my mix (leca 1-4mm, coconut fiber, perlite) a few mm under the surfaceIMG_20180612_112301.thumb.jpg.d388a41bca

Kai did a great job with hand pollinating, I hope I'll not disappoint him! 

Happy growing, Vojtech

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, GrumpyGrower said:

Update: all seeds germinate! IMG_20180612_112154.thumb.jpg.79dc9e5047

I planted them together into my mix (leca 1-4mm, coconut fiber, perlite) a few mm under the surfaceIMG_20180612_112301.thumb.jpg.d388a41bca

Kai did a great job with hand pollinating, I hope I'll not disappoint him! 

Happy growing, Vojtech

Great news,and perfectly labeled! Keep us updated on their growth.

• Upvote 2

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

• 2 weeks later...

I think the row of little palms are Lytocaryum weddellianum.  The big one at right is of course Dypsis lutescens and you can see D. decaryi in the shade at the rear.  Conservatory at Longwood Gardens, Kennett Square, Pennsylvania.  I think too far north for needle palms to be growing permanently outdoors, but the palm house has nikau (Rhopalostylis sapida) growing next to sealing wax (Cyrtostachys renda).  No idea how that's possible.  

Lytocaryum_weddelianum?_at_Longwood_conservatory-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

20 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

There is still one point I would like to mention: All three Lytocarya batava I have are showing pinnate eophylls (and not entire ones as most of my other Lytocarya weddelliana did). How about yours?

I noticed the same with my seedlings. A new batch of 9 germinated seeds is anxiously awaited to show their eophyls. I can't think of a reason why these would develop any differently.

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

• 3 months later...

Hello Kai,

hold my thumbs that you are successfull. If you have some seeds of your creations to give away (will pay for) just let me know. My palm addiction prevailed my good judgement:yay:

Would like to grow some tropical looking palms

Eckhard

6 hours ago, Palmensammler said:

Hello Kai,

hold my thumbs that you are successfull. If you have some seeds of your creations to give away (will pay for) just let me know. My palm addiction prevailed my good judgement:yay:

Would like to grow some tropical looking palms

Eckhard

Sent you a PM Eckhard :greenthumb:

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands