IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

avatar meanings (some of them QUITE weird) - let's talk about them

Rafael

Great pic Rafael! For all this time I thought you're hugging a tree... :) 

My avatar is of the crazy Dypsis I have growing in my garden:

mQKTh0F.jpg

Edited by Pando
  • Upvote 2

Mine is not strange but it is a picture I took on Marathon Key in Florida a few months ago.

20150817_135424.jpg

• Upvote 4

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

This palm got in the way of one of my sunset photos

• Upvote 1

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

9 hours ago, Rafael said:

Mine shows an epic moment in Thailand's 2012 biennial.

Here is the complete pic.

image.jpeg

That's a cool picture.

I like Pando always thought you were hugging a tree...

My current avatar is a tiny dinosaur :winkie:

• Upvote 3

I'm the lame-duck grand poobah of our local Palm Society.

Do join us . . . .

(Have to do my duty.)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Mine is the date palm at the 1935 hurricane memorial in Islamorada, FL.

56624f7ecf62f_MattsCamera-Homestead231.t

Full shot of palm

56624f8da45b8_MattsCamera-Homestead401.t

There's a plaque below it that reads: "This palm was planted by
E.J. Arnold at his home in Upper 
Matecumbe in the aftermath of the 1935
hurricane and donated by the Makepeace family
to honor those lost in the storm."

Edited by Opal92
  • Upvote 2

I just took a picture of some poor old ugly SOB hanging out on a park bench.

• Upvote 3

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

2 hours ago, _Keith said:

"Eyeing little girls with bad intent,

Snot running down his nose,

Greasy fingers smearing shabby clothes

Oh Aqualung ... ". :lol:

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Ron....it's not YOU he's describing! Silly.......

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

3 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

Ron....it's not YOU he's describing! Silly.......

Sorry Jeff, they don't play Jethro Tull on KISS Country radio.

6 hours ago, Moose said:

Sorry Jeff, they don't play Jethro Tull on KISS Country radio.

Kiss what?

• Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Mine is of the larger of two wild Sabal Lisas that used to grow at an exit off I75. Because of highway widening they were at first condemned, finally moved to a City of Ft. Myers palm park. Before I took this photo in December 2008 I used a generic photo of a Roystonea regia I found on PT. But I wanted an avatar that I created because I refuse to "steal" someone else's photos off the internet.

5663721e29b43_SabalLisa1-512-08.thumb.JP

Sign for the Ft. Myers park where Sabal Lisas now reside

56637246bcf0a_FortMyersHistoricalParksig

• Upvote 3

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Mine is a photo I took in beautiful Zion National Park in my home State of Utah.  Just a small tribute to my origins.

This topic is similar to one I posted a while back asking about everyone's username.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/36272-why-the-username/

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

1 hour ago, Xerarch said:

Mine is a photo I took in beautiful Zion National Park in my home State of Utah.  Just a small tribute to my origins.

This topic is similar to one I posted a while back asking about everyone's username.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/36272-why-the-username/

Oh yeah.

Zion is magnificent! Even after you've hiked all the way to the top and back down wearing Chuck Taylors . . . .

Those red canyons/hillsides, look like giant rib-roasts, all curved upwards, and streaked with gray, white etc.

And I'll bet it's breathtaking when the cottonwoods turn color in the fall! :o

We had a veteran member of the PSSC retire up there, and I can't blame him.

On 12/4/2015, 3:15:46, Rafael said:

Mine shows an epic moment in Thailand's 2012 biennial.

Here is the complete pic.

image.jpeg

now it makes sense. I thought you were pole dancing :D

Great picture!!!

• Upvote 4

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

On 12/4/2015, 9:40:40, Pando said:

Great pic Rafael! For all this time I thought you're hugging a tree... :) 

My avatar is of the crazy Dypsis I have growing in my garden:

mQKTh0F.jpg

sheer awesomeness!

Sunset zone 24

On 12/4/2015, 11:09:42, Palmaceae said:

Mine is not strange but it is a picture I took on Marathon Key in Florida a few months ago.

20150817_135424.jpg

the only think missing from this picture is the mai tai 

Sunset zone 24

On 12/4/2015, 8:06:27, _Keith said:

on the floor laughing my (expletive off) :floor:

Sunset zone 24

17 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Mine is of the larger of two wild Sabal Lisas that used to grow at an exit off I75. Because of highway widening they were at first condemned, finally moved to a City of Ft. Myers palm park. Before I took this photo in December 2008 I used a generic photo of a Roystonea regia I found on PT. But I wanted an avatar that I created because I refuse to "steal" someone else's photos off the internet.

5663721e29b43_SabalLisa1-512-08.thumb.JP

Sign for the Ft. Myers park where Sabal Lisas now reside

56637246bcf0a_FortMyersHistoricalParksig

drooling over here

Sunset zone 24

I decided to stop at the Kona brewery on the big island to wet the whistle between palm PRA's that day.

I saw the lipstick palms in the planter behind my table and thought taking a picture with a pint of liquid aloha was a no brainier.:D

This is a great thread Rafael:greenthumb:

Cheers!

IMG_1628.jpeg.f25961826230720698bf1bc9f0

• Upvote 3

Sunset zone 24

2 hours ago, Josh-O said:

I saw the lipstick palms in the planter behind my table and thought taking a picture with a pint of liquid aloha was a no brainier.

Great shot Josh!

3 hours ago, Josh-O said:

I decided to stop at the Kona brewery on the big island to wet the whistle between palm PRA's that day.

I saw the lipstick palms in the planter behind my table and thought taking a picture with a pint of liquid aloha was a no brainier.:D

This is a great thread Rafael:greenthumb:

Cheers!

IMG_1628.jpeg.f25961826230720698bf1bc9f0

Wow talk about a rumor being so off. It was my understanding that your avatar was shot at the Triode Garden of Doom. :lol:

7 hours ago, Moose said:

Wow talk about a rumor being so off. It was my understanding that your avatar was shot at the Triode Garden of Doom. :lol:

the stems aren't black enough

• Upvote 1

Just my doggie & palm guard, KC

IMG_2180.jpg

• Upvote 2

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

23 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

the stems aren't black enough

there so black they decided to turn red

Sunset zone 24

On 12/6/2015, 11:47:42, Pando said:

Great shot Josh!

thanks buddy :) 

Sunset zone 24

When we first had to have avatars, it was the only tiny pic I had...also, I like to defy convention.. If I frequented a racing site (my past, latent hobby) I would likely put up a palm avatar...

Oh, thats me next to my 1979 TVR 3000S sports car I used to race and still own. (Took 2nd in the nation SCCA autocrossing it back in 1998)

• Upvote 3

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

22 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

When we first had to have avatars, it was the only tiny pic I had...also, I like to defy convention.. If I frequented a racing site (my past, latent hobby) I would likely put up a palm avatar...

Oh, thats me next to my 1979 TVR 3000S sports car I used to race and still own. (Took 2nd in the nation SCCA autocrossing it back in 1998)

I say we gas up the TVR 3000S and do a couple PRA's

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

Just me and Huntley-Albert on one of our rare public appearances in daylight.

• Upvote 2

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

11 hours ago, Josh-O said:

I say we gas up the TVR 3000S and do a couple PRA's

Note the tag line above my Avatar Josh.... :rolleyes:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Fun stories. :)  This kind of thread helps us get to know a bit more about one another, thanks Rafael!  And I remember your moment with the elephant very well -- what a fun day that was at Nong Nooch.

My avatar is a photo taken by Bo-Göran Lundkvist of the largest of three Lemurophoenix hallueuxii in my garden in Hawaii.  The new frond is red, and there can be many, many days of excited anticipation waiting for the newest towering spear to open.  Because I was in California when this one opened, Bo was kind enough to send me the photo.  These palms are dear to my heart; as most of you have experienced, the joy of successfully nurturing a species that is disappearing in its native habitat cannot be exaggerated. The palm is much taller now; even the two smaller Lemurs are larger than this.

• Upvote 3

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

25 minutes ago, Kim said:

Fun stories. :)  This kind of thread helps us get to know a bit more about one another, thanks Rafael!  And I remember your moment with the elephant very well -- what a fun day that was at Nong Nooch.

My avatar is a photo taken by Bo-Göran Lundkvist of the largest of three Lemurophoenix hallueuxii in my garden in Hawaii.  The new frond is red, and there can be many, many days of excited anticipation waiting for the newest towering spear to open.  Because I was in California when this one opened, Bo was kind enough to send me the photo.  These palms are dear to my heart; as most of you have experienced, the joy of successfully nurturing a species that is disappearing in its native habitat cannot be exaggerated. The palm is much taller now; even the two smaller Lemurs are larger than this.

Current pictures?

Pant pant pant . ..

Will order some from Jeff, maybe

Here's an old avatar.

Maybe dredge up old ones?

5669bd61f0f62_aa-kudzuavatar.gif.bae16f0

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Here's an old avatar.

Maybe dredge up old ones?

5669bd61f0f62_aa-kudzuavatar.gif.bae16f0

Pre Doom ?