IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubaeopsis caffra germinaton

JubaeaMan138

Any ideas for germinating jubaeopsis caffra got quite a few seeds would like to get them germinating. Also any ideas for pritchardia hildebrandii 

3 hours ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Any ideas for germinating jubaeopsis caffra got quite a few seeds would like to get them germinating. Also any ideas for pritchardia hildebrandii 

If your seeds came from the monster tree from the catamaran they are most likely not going to germinate. I have tried countless time as well ans many othey palm talkers with ZERO sprouts to date over many years of trying. That tree seems to put out bad seed :( 

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

5 hours ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Notice the root?

image.jpeg

from the catamaran???

Sunset zone 24

I don’t have own experience with this species, but I would like to contribute the following (useful?) remarks: Jubaeopsis has remote germination (in contrast to Jubaea). The soil mix should have a fast drainage (e.g. coarse sand with pine bark), but must not dry out. – "It is, however, known that for some reason seeds do not germinate easily, and in experimental plantings in this country [i.e. South Africa] germination rates have always been low.“ (Palmpedia)

• Upvote 2

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

You could also crack the seeds, or better saw them open because cracking is almost impossible. I did that after only 1/10 seeds germinated for me. After sawing them open four more germinated within a week. As Pal said they are remote germinators and the eophyll can take a fairly long time to emerge.

Edited by Flow
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Pando said:

Josh is probably already on the freeway going south at a high rate of speed...

Pando-I like it :D

I now have 4 flowers and 2 more spathes are starting to emerge. 

I got a marginal crop of seed last year and this year it looks very promising???

5661d72f47b13_Jubaeopsisflowerspathe.thu

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

Believe it or not around the backside of the jubaeopsis there was several seeds on the ground that were rooted into the ground with there strap leaves already. But was told by grounds keepers I could not be scavenging haha and that the seeds were already spoken for haha. 

What do U think josh? Think this tree maybe possibly producing good seeds now?

Edited by JubaeaMan138
Missspelling

I've had success with this species by placing them so that they are half buried in a free draining mix in a community pot covered with 2 inches of spaghnum moss, put the pot inside a plastic bag and left in my tin shed where they heat up during the day and cool down at night. I got 30 seeds about 6 weeks ago and have already potted up two into individual pots and at last check a few days ago another two have popped up.

• Upvote 2

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

21 hours ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

What do U think josh? Think this tree maybe possibly producing good seeds now?

I hope it is. It's long over due.

Huh? The last Time I was there they actually gave me permission to scrounge for seed. They must of have has a nice bone in their body that day?

I usually just walk up and grab a bunch before they say I cant

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

7 hours ago, Tyrone said:

I've had success with this species by placing them so that they are half buried in a free draining mix in a community pot covered with 2 inches of spaghnum moss, put the pot inside a plastic bag and left in my tin shed where they heat up during the day and cool down at night. I got 30 seeds about 6 weeks ago and have already potted up two into individual pots and at last check a few days ago another two have popped up.

interesting Technic. I'll have to try that on my next seed batch

Sunset zone 24

So if I decide on the delidding process crack the hole shell off the seed and were does it germinate from similar to Jubaea chilensis Ive germinated over 100 Jubaea chilensis just from cracking the shell never does the sanding technique to expose the embryo were does the embryo come out on the shell? 

• Upvote 1

There are three eyes on the shell. Two are small, one considerably bigger. The bigger eye has the embryo underneath. I place that big eye at soil level when I half bury them. It's then easy for it to pop out and head down straight into the mix.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Delidding is by far a great technique I just de lidded them on a belt sander and the root embryo root is already protruding out should of done this a long time ago

I had good success with RPS seeds earlier in the year. Treated them like Jubaea, half burried in sphagnum moss and perlite 23c ish at night and 30c ish in day. Just give the root plenty of room they are massive! 

image.jpg

• Upvote 4

Wow those are intense roots so awesome hopefully I get mine sowed this week I'm still soaking them. Can't wait to get them started. Has anyone every germinated in water I have heard of people germinating date palms in straight water is that possible? 

• 2 months later...

I picked up some California seed and just noticed that two have germinated after 3 weeks.  Hopefully more will follow.

On December 12, 2015 4:15:04 PM, JubaeaMan138 said:

Wow those are intense roots so awesome hopefully I get mine sowed this week I'm still soaking them. Can't wait to get them started. Has anyone every germinated in water I have heard of people germinating date palms in straight water is that possible? 

I've inadvertently done this with phoenix seeds, but those are notoriously easy germinators.

I've had Trithrinax campestris, CIDP, W. Filifera and a few cycads germinate when hydrating or rehydrating.

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...
On 12/12/2015, 2:09:56, TimJ said:

I had good success with RPS seeds earlier in the year. Treated them like Jubaea, half burried in sphagnum moss and perlite 23c ish at night and 30c ish in day. Just give the root plenty of room they are massive! 

image.jpg

This was a helpful picture for me when I was germinating mine. Here's a progression of my seeds, which came from the Catamaran Jubaeopsis:

IMG_8172.thumb.jpg.179e5a796e9d8072b0d6b

IMG_8173.thumb.jpg.93aef545f5c746776162e

IMG_8178.thumb.jpg.8bd76a854a11f968f0d2c

IMG_8179.thumb.jpg.e5182bd2a01b93f2e7b22

IMG_8181.thumb.jpg.277e398b4d45d15e9adf4

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Guys I'm germinating A batch of Jubaeopsis seeds at the moment. Within a month 5/11 had germinated and now a 6th has after 2 months (I used bottom heat at around 32C with baggies of vermiculite/sphagnum moss 50:50).

I've planted 5 of the germinated seeds in pots with the seed only half covered on top. My question: being remote germinators, should I prop the seeds up above soil level like in the photo above or should they be fine? There's been no above ground growth although I've noticed already a tap root has made its way through a drain hole of a 140mm pot.

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

Prop'em up! The natural way should happen only in their natural enviroment, in a pot on the other hand, it has no meaning than putting  more weight to the pot and increasing the risk of basal rot. Even if you suceed in the pot with growing point buried, all this soil by the time of transplant will crumble apart.

9 hours ago, tim_brissy_13 said:

Guys I'm germinating A batch of Jubaeopsis seeds at the moment. Within a month 5/11 had germinated and now a 6th has after 2 months (I used bottom heat at around 32C with baggies of vermiculite/sphagnum moss 50:50).

I've planted 5 of the germinated seeds in pots with the seed only half covered on top. My question: being remote germinators, should I prop the seeds up above soil level like in the photo above or should they be fine? There's been no above ground growth although I've noticed already a tap root has made its way through a drain hole of a 140mm pot.

In my fourth picture you can see how deep the sinker goes before sending out the actual root. It's been between 11-14 cm on most of mine, so you're probably better off propping the seed up, as otherwise you won't have much room for the roots to grow.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

• 4 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi. 

I received 10 Jubaeopsis caffra seeds from South of Africa. I sawed them and I hope thé germination will be faster. 

Nicolas 

IMG_20220821_150129.jpg

• 1 month later...

Mine is 17 years in the ground.  Still no flowers.  Grrrr

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

il y a 1 heure, elandybarr a dit :

@Nico94 Les avez-vous achetés chez Lifestyle Seeds ? Je pensais commander chez eux. Un succès sur la germination ?

image.png.5b2cd6735402b988c42e8733a233243e.png

IMG_20220929_083543.jpg

Edited by Nico94