IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Awesome Ground Cover !

Briank

I found this awesome ground cover lawn replacement while on a Palm Buy at local nursery last week! Wondering if anyone has ever used it or experience with it! Looks and feels awesome! 

Dymondia! Feels like carpet when your walking on it! Buy a tray of 50 plugs and gets you about 12.5sq ft! 

Of course I still have to kill this Bermuda growing in spots around my place before I put it down, but I'm going to do it! 

Its drought tolerant and is tough, but it just feels amazing to walk on! 

Who gets this exited about ground cover? Lol. 

It looks pretty cool, the problem with non-grass ground covers is that I don't know of any that truly hold up to foot traffic as well as grass.  If you don't have kids playing soccer and tag on it you might be just fine. I will be curious to know how it works out for you. 

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Thick layer of mulch holds up better then any ground cover. Just my opinion.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

10 hours ago, Xerarch said:

It looks pretty cool, the problem with non-grass ground covers is that I don't know of any that truly hold up to foot traffic as well as grass.  If you don't have kids playing soccer and tag on it you might be just fine. I will be curious to know how it works out for you. 

I have walked all over this stuff at the growers nursery. Has it grown in many spots. It's Amazing. Doesnt need to be controlled. And is like 2" thick and like having carpet out there! Truly awesome stuff. If you ever run across it look at it! Hard to tell online.  I'll keep you posted. 

9 hours ago, Moose said:

Thick layer of mulch holds up better then any ground cover. Just my opinion.

Mulch is great.  Problem with mulch is if you have animals digs etc. can easily get in your pets paw.  And I plan to mulch in and around palms and plants, need something else to blend with it for walkways.    Have to watch were I put mulch and have to make sure I have dog friendly and no wood chips or splinters that can get in his paws.  My German Shephard loves to explore and get in my plants lol 

Pretty sure Dymondia won't take walking on, so maybe consider mulch for the paths, and ground covers off the path.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

47 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Pretty sure Dymondia won't take walking on, so maybe consider mulch for the paths, and ground covers off the path.

It will take light traffic, but is mostly great for ground cover.  Wich is what I was looking for to replace all the Bermuda and my dog can run all over.  Like i said mulch is a concern when you have children or pets. For my walkways I am going to use DG then Dymondia spread Around.  My main entry way from driveway to front door is concrete, but I pulled the other concrete paths that wrapped around my side of house and front.    You could also put stepping stones and grow the Dymondia around them.  It's so soft! Never seen anything like it

it is great stuff and takes alot of abuse but, as ben mentioned,  avoid the high traffic areas of your garden.  Agree that dogs/kids and mulch aren't always a great combo. Neighborhood critters also love digging through the stuff as well. To me, gravel pathes and the use of stepping stones gives a more naturalistic feel. It is also less likely to wash away during heavy rains..  imo. 

I've done a little searching on this ground cover from South Africa. There is some information (from the internet so who knows) that it does not like frost, USDA zones 11-9b. Plus found info that gophers love their succulent water retaining roots and can severely damage or even kill it.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Gophers, earthquakes, wildfires, mudslides, 39 million people, welcome to California !  :mrlooney:

(I forgot chronic water shortages!)

• Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

It's related to daisies and produces small yellow flowers. It is drought tolerant once established (6 months) but needs regular watering before. It prefers sandy soil and can take salt exposure. It might not do well in poor draining clay soil and inland CA summer sun. And gophers love it.

I think it's really cute but it's likely no match for FL's highly aggressive weeds, heat and humidity. Too bad.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

8 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

Gophers, earthquakes, wildfires, mudslides, 39 million people, welcome to California !  :mrlooney:

(I forgot chronic water shortages!)

True dat!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I'm looking for a peanut grass source in Southern California.  also looking into lippia repens aka phyla nodiflora. maybe check those out also.

Grant
Long Beach, CA