IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Best Queens?

Matthew92

Feast your eyes! Here is a collage of some drop-dead gorgeous queens I've found both in person and on Google streetview. I don't intend to proclaim these as the best anywhere: I know my viewing range doesn't encompass every place they can grow.

This sole picture is the reason why Syagrus romanzoffiana might be my favorite palm- couldn't be a more perfect specimen. On the carefully maintained Disney Polynesian Resort ground, I'm sure this palm couldn't be in a better situation.

565516eae9ffd_DisneyandCrystalRiver-Matt

Same location, this one has more extended fronds. I really applaud Disney for not overpruning too much. The best queens I've seen are in the Orlando area.

565516f67a3ec_DisneyandCrystalRiver-Matt

Growing huge at Epcot. There is a class of queens which in my opinion, start to compete with a royal for beauty and size together. This is one of them.

5655170136cd9_SpringBreakDisneyTripMatts

Perfection- at Animal Kingdom

5655171221ad7_DisneyandCrystalRiver-Matt

More royal palm sized queens at Epcot

5655172031374_DSC01265-Copy.JPG.6e7c7128

In the wind- Epcot

56551a81f4011_DisneyandCrystalRiver-Matt

Sorry about skewed picture, but this shows their immense size- at Epcot

5655174e549de_SpringBreakDisneyTripMatts 

Now we get to streetview: this queen is holding the most fronds I've ever seen. I almost have wondered if it is something else, but I think it's just a very distinct individual. SW Florida

56551829b8855_QueenPalmDonQuixotev2-Copy

Different view- look how thin the trunk is

5655182f94194_QueenPalmDonQuixotev3-Copy

SW FL

56551882a9bf8_lushqueenpg3-Copy.thumb.jp

Here's another big guy. Besides it being over-trimmed, this is another that could compete with a royal in beauty and size together. SW FL

565518c1c76f0_queenpalmriotiber-Copy.thu

Fruits looking like earings. Suberb specimen as well. SW FL

565518d97716c_QueenPalmPuntaGorda2-Copy.

Nice and wispy- loving the drooping fronds.. SW FL

5655190e9c21f_QueenPalmPG2-Copy.thumb.jp

SW FL

56551e07334ff_QueenPalmpg3-Copy.thumb.jp

Love how the trunk starts narrow and widens up above- SW FL

56551e67d3d07_Queenpalmbestspecimenview2

• Upvote 5

Great pics and a lot of work to find them.  Thanks.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Queens can look so tropical, so pretty, when well looked after.  That means, IRRIGATION in California.  I've noticed that the local Big Box has started putting DROUGHT TOLERANT stickers on both queens and Archontophoenix, which is (I am sure) misleading consumers as to their care requirements.  I've noticed some local Archontophoenix plantings where people are sticking them straight in full sun and not watering them - and they are dead in weeks.  

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Queens aren't too picky about irrigation or sun, and I would classify them as semi drought tolerant, certainly when compared to crownshafted palms like Archos. I planted a few 10 years ago at my property in inland CA and they only get some spray from a nearby lawn. No babying, no mulch, dry soil most of the time, and they are now monsters.

25 minutes ago, Pando said:

Queens aren't too picky about irrigation or sun, and I would classify them as semi drought tolerant, certainly when compared to crownshafted palms like Archos. I planted a few 10 years ago at my property in inland CA and they only get some spray from a nearby lawn. No babying, no mulch, dry soil most of the time, and they are now monsters.

Spray from a nearby lawn is likely doing wonders for them.  They are drought tolerant in California only in the sense that they don't die; they look like utter crap when not regularly irrigated.  Show me a decent looking queen, and it's getting watered.

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

1 hour ago, Pando said:

Bet they're getting more water than you think.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

4 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Queens can look so tropical, so pretty, when well looked after.  That means, IRRIGATION in California.  I've noticed that the local Big Box has started putting DROUGHT TOLERANT stickers on both queens and Archontophoenix, which is (I am sure) misleading consumers as to their care requirements.  I've noticed some local Archontophoenix plantings where people are sticking them straight in full sun and not watering them - and they are dead in weeks.  

WHOA!

Sounds like an excuse for a little Big Box Nursery Anarchy(TM) . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

13 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Bet they're getting more water than you think.

Maybe, but not much. I have a few of them in my property in inland CA, and the soil is bone dry most of the time. The yard was only irrigated once a week for 10 minutes over summer. Kings would be long dead in this kind of environment.

Queens are not as drought tolerant as a washie, but they do pretty good.

2 hours ago, Pando said:

Maybe, but not much. I have a few of them in my property in inland CA, and the soil is bone dry most of the time. The yard was only irrigated once a week for 10 minutes over summer. Kings would be long dead in this kind of environment.

Queens are not as drought tolerant as a washie, but they do pretty good.

I still think it's very misleading to label them drought tolerant.  I think of drought tolerant stuff as things that need the minimal to no supplemental watering.  Queens need a decent amount of supplemental water to look their best.  The thousands of yellow, stunted Queens around here are testament to that.

Ben Rogers

54 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I still think it's very misleading to label them drought tolerant.  

I wouldn't call them drought tolerant either (hence the word "semi" in my earlier post), but they do survive periods of very little water even though they may not look their best. One of the reasons they're everywhere over here.

My 7 monster queens once looked like those and were the canopy anchor for my back yard jungle until fusiarum wilt wiped them out in less than a year. They have insatiable appetites for water and fertilizer. If you can afford those they can all look like that but in Cape Coral hardly anyone cares. But so far those abused queens haven't fallen victim to wilt. Or maybe my yard is jinxed when it comes to wilt and palm weevils.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

On 11/24/2015, 11:00:39, _Keith said:

Great pics and a lot of work to find them.  Thanks.

Sure, I couldn't wait to share these with you guys.

On 11/25/2015, 11:27:38, Kai said:

After seeing this, I can sincerely say that for the first time I've come to appreciate the appearance of a queen palm...a bit. Thank you for turning me around...a bit.

I'm glad you're coming to appreciate them!

I've always said that if this palm was just discovered in the mountains of Borneo and people started to see how fast and robust it grew - and that it tolerated a fair amount of cold weather - they would be a highly desired palm today.

• Upvote 1

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

• 2 weeks later...

Great pics. I'm passionate for the queens myself; I have three juveniles in my living room now, started from seed two years ago. Still strap leaf, but almost 1 meter tall. Looking forward to seeing the regal bearing your pics show.

jt

Shimoda, Japan, Lat: 36.6N, Long: 138.8

Zone 9B (kinda, sorta), Pacific Coast, 1Km inland, 75M above sea level
Coldest lows (Jan): 2-5C (35-41F), Hottest highs (Aug): 32-33C (87-91F)

• 2 years later...

Another beautiful queen palm at Disney's Polynesian resort. This one seemed taller and older than many others, I wonder if it's a survivor from hard freezes a few decades ago.

IMG_1678.thumb.JPG.e160acbd6d5905284ad2a

IMG_1679.thumb.JPG.6f4f21db73034c48c399e

Notice there is an ever so slight "pinch" higher up on the trunk. I wonder if that was from when it was transplanted or maybe a hard freeze.

IMG_1680.thumb.JPG.eea3d055711bd020edf2c

Edited by Opal92
  • Upvote 3