W. filifera in Albuquerque

44 posts in this topic

I wish you luck Daniel! I'm jealous of the CIDP I see in photos from London, they don't stand a chance here even with my dry cold... 

What part of England are you located in? Which Washingtonia have you tried so far, and what do you plan to try?

@Daniel There are a lot of factors that allow palms in the desert southwest to survive extremely low temperatures other than lack of humidity and precipitation.  Growing up two cloudy days in a row was a rarity in New Mexico and the winter solar radiation of West Texas, NM and AZ allows the trunks of the palms to actually warm despite single digit temperatures throughout the day. This last factor was brought to my attention by a fellow PalmTalker a few years ago, but makes perfect sense. I'd give them all the credit if I could remember whom it was. A few days ago even when we were in the 20's here in Dallas the trunk of my large butia and sabals were warm to the touch.

See the source image

World Solar Insolation Map

6 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

@Daniel There are a lot of factors that allow palms in the desert southwest to survive extremely low temperatures other than lack of humidity and precipitation.  Growing up two cloudy days in a row was a rarity in New Mexico and the winter solar radiation of West Texas, NM and AZ allows the trunks of the palms to actually warm despite single digit temperatures throughout the day. This last factor was brought to my attention by a fellow PalmTalker a few years ago, but makes perfect sense. I'd give them all the credit if I could remember whom it was. A few days ago even when we were in the 20's here in Dallas the trunk of my large butia and sabals were warm to the touch.

See the source image

World Solar Insolation Map

Joseph, I think it was Jwitt who pointed this out. I learned from this that warming the trunk during subZero periods here is enough to make them survive easily. Even around here, with cool summertemps, filibustas grow a new crown after defoliation. I think washingtonia is the perfect and probably the only genus that can take this yearly.

On 1/3/2018, 7:04:57, ChrisA said:

I wish you luck Daniel! I'm jealous of the CIDP I see in photos from London, they don't stand a chance here even with my dry cold... 

What part of England are you located in? Which Washingtonia have you tried so far, and what do you plan to try?

Thank you, Chris. 

I live near the South coast of England, so can have -6c as an occasional low most Winters. And frost is almost always coupled with high humidity. For example, tonight it is +3c but humidity is 99%. 

I have tried Robusta, Filibusta and Filifera at various times in the past, but will try them all again until I find one that is happy in my garden. A couple of miles away right on the coast, they grow very well and I wonder if it is the higher nighttime temperatures in the Summer or the higher Winter lows that are making the difference (or it could be both).