IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

W. filifera in Albuquerque

ChrisA

3 hours ago, SailorBold said:

True and I agree.. its still an iffy climate and as time passes there are other palms which might be a good to better fit as well..  Sabal mexicana... riverside.. bxj..and jxb hybrids which are much more leaf hardy and will or should stay green most winters in ABQ..

Sabal mexicana, etc you mention are an effective way to explore similar or better options to marginal W. filifera in the central NM valley, which continuing to use what is known to work, and innovate using those bullet-proof species. Including other plants native or adapted to your (our) drier, warm-temperature climate. I'm only glad that I live in the middle of z 8b, though ABQ's z 7b-8a edge allows more than it limits, compared to z 5 or 6.

The most important part of horticulture is now winning over decorative, fleeting flowers - more interesting outdoor spaces that invite people to engage with the outdoors, like in nature. Palms on this forum, plus all the other species.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SailorBold said:

To trim or not to trim?

20231003_095552.jpg

20231003_095708.jpg

I would leave any removal of fronds or trimming until mid-spring (April-early May), once those stately Washsies are actively growing and cold is past. These are hot weather palms, and that timing would help them the most. No disturbance when colder, especially where more marginal.

Heck, I'd wait to work on the same palm down here, even with another 10-14 days of growing season than ABQ by climatology. But trimming now could be OK in Tucson or PHX?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Desert DAC said:

I would leave any removal of fronds or trimming until mid-spring (April-early May), once those stately Washsies are actively growing and cold is past. These are hot weather palms, and that timing would help them the most. No disturbance when colder, especially where more marginal.

Heck, I'd wait to work on the same palm down here, even with another 10-14 days of growing season than ABQ by climatology. But trimming now could be OK in Tucson or PHX?

Folks here could do some trimming right now if they wanted or needed to,  though 99% of all Washingtonias get their annual  haircuts in the late April- early July  time frame, just as they start setting flower stalks. 

...Like the first 110+F highs, and buzz of Cicadas, the sound of chainsaws echoing from the tops of all the Mex. fans here is a prelude to Monsoon Season. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SailorBold said:

To trim or not to trim?

20231003_095552.jpg

20231003_095708.jpg

Almost forgot...your Trichocereus terscheckii* is really looking like a person with 2 feet and 2 short arms! Quite vigorous, too.
(*that species name is back again, perhaps Echinopsis is no longer in vogue)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Folks here could do some trimming right now if they wanted or needed to,  though 99% of all Washingtonias get their annual  haircuts in the late April- early July  time frame, just as they start setting flower stalks. 

...Like the first 110+F highs, and buzz of Cicadas, the sound of chainsaws echoing from the tops of all the Mex. fans here is a prelude to Monsoon Season. 

That's good to know. I recall when I lived there in 2019, many of the Washies in my area near Kierland had at least half of their green fronds removed in addition to the brown. Looked horrible compared to the palms with those left. But I was in the minority!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Desert DAC said:

That's good to know. I recall when I lived there in 2019, many of the Washies in my area near Kierland had at least half of their green fronds removed in addition to the brown. Looked horrible compared to the palms with those left. But I was in the minority!

Oh they still " scalp " them ..down to a few fronds each year..  That said, at least in my neighborhood here in Chandler, some were given their yearly  bad haircut, while others were left alone ..with just the dead fronds / loose boots, and maybe a couple half dead, greener fronds removed.

Scalped specimens have recovered their canopy pretty nicely, despite our brutal summer ( 55 days above 110F this year / 36 days w/ morning lows 90 or above, ..and of course very little rain < 0.15" of an inch at Sky Harbor >  if you hadn't heard )  but of course, the " barely trimmed " ones look the best. 

Over in the " Other Tropical Plants " section of the forum, i posted / will add more posts as i see stuff to..  a thread related to " Landscape Failures " i'd noted around here.. It might be there,, pretty sure that's where i put it, but, ..anyway..  i posted about the ..ahem, horrible bracing job the landscapers the city of Chandler currently has caring for the landscaping in the street island here.. Anyway, one of the Mex fans was mowed down awhile back after someone ran into it and when the landscape guys installed a new one ..let's just say the " bracing " they provided was ..uh, ..pretty sad? ..to put it nicely. 

Watching it settle in since then, somehow, the brace held up through what Monsoon -generated wind events we had this year, but, the palm itself has a definite lean when viewed from the right angle.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, SailorBold said:

Some shots from when I was out and about today...

20231004_124453.jpg

Screenshot_20231004_130316_Maps.jpg

20231004_124510.jpg

Excellent spotting on this Washy! The aerial via Google is a nice icing on the cake.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SailorBold said:

Not related.. but a nice fig..

20231004_124300.jpg

The appearance is like figs here in Las Cruces or El Paso, a vigorous dieback tree / big shrub with lots of fruit. While working in my darkest, early days of 1992-1996 in ABQ, I saw quite a few figs in backyards, while measuring or meeting with someone wanting midwestern or montane plants. From those backyard walks, over property walls or fences I also spotted pomegranates, almonds, oleanders, etc. The few people I knew with figs didn't protect them much and harvested figs in spring and periodically into the summer, most years. 

Expats of colder winter climes must scratch their heads when the landscaping choices given to them at their new homes in ABQ are more like where they moved from, instead of the many unique, thriving choices for zone 7+, native and adapted.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Desert DAC said:

The appearance is like figs here in Las Cruces or El Paso, a vigorous dieback tree / big shrub with lots of fruit. While working in my darkest, early days of 1992-1996 in ABQ, I saw quite a few figs in backyards, while measuring or meeting with someone wanting midwestern or montane plants. From those backyard walks, over property walls or fences I also spotted pomegranates, almonds, oleanders, etc. The few people I knew with figs didn't protect them much and harvested figs in spring and periodically into the summer, most years. 

Expats of colder winter climes must scratch their heads when the landscaping choices given to them at their new homes in ABQ are more like where they moved from, instead of the many unique, thriving choices for zone 7+, native and adapted.

Figs are good to 10°F as are some Pomegranate cultivars. Water would be the bigger issue in NM.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SeanK said:

Figs are good to 10°F as are some Pomegranate cultivars. Water would be the bigger issue in NM.

Yes, moisture is paramount. While <10F isn't typical most years, it's the one or two winters every decade that get below 10 or 5 here in central and southern NM, especially when those include a few consecutive days below 32F. Thankfully, those events are even less frequent down here than ABQ.

On 9/22/2023 at 5:21 PM, jwitt said:

And what I consider the "palm zone" in  nw ABQ with a near virtual non existent east high wind/precipitation due to the Rincon range blockage/diversion.

Or in layman's terms, your difference at the mouth of Tijeras canyon and the sun port is like the "palm zone" vs the sun port.  Sun port is way more east wind affected.

I'm curious if you have any records of <32F durations in consecutive hours, for various parts of ABQ? Esp. valley and west mesa, though foothills would be cool, too. All I have is what some people I know and I recorded in Feb 2011, plus a few past events I pieced together from Weather Underground.

46 minutes ago, Desert DAC said:

I'm curious if you have any records of <32F durations in consecutive hours, for various parts of ABQ? Esp. valley and west mesa, though foothills would be cool, too. All I have is what some people I know and I recorded in Feb 2011, plus a few past events I pieced together from Weather Underground.

I do not track that on an hourly basis. I can say there is a huge difference.  Screenshot_20231005-120017.thumb.png.c4e706bf12475b68e85ba79a0291ee7f.pngScreenshot_20231005-115842.thumb.png.c6520c57c6d5972c58b548ffd150d6e1.png

While I speak of the east wind blockage and such in what I term the local palm zone, I rarely speak to the "Chinook" effect  nor the difference in high temperatures during what I term palm killing events. 

I will leave it at that and say look at the almost 24 hour delay in cold(2/1), difference in peak cold high temperatures(single digit vs. mid teens).  I won't even mention the much "lesser" wind with sunshine vs. actual blizzard conditions(exactly what one is seeing on 2/1).

Rr#2. vs Sunport

On 10/3/2023 at 2:42 PM, Desert DAC said:

Almost forgot...your Trichocereus terscheckii* is really looking like a person with 2 feet and 2 short arms! Quite vigorous, too.
(*that species name is back again, perhaps Echinopsis is no longer in vogue)

Yeah..not too sure if I'm going to remove the feet or not?  Do people do that? Might look strange if those get large?

Last bloom of the season tonight.. 

20231006_203005.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

On 10/5/2023 at 12:18 PM, jwitt said:

I do not track that on an hourly basis. I can say there is a huge difference.  Screenshot_20231005-120017.thumb.png.c4e706bf12475b68e85ba79a0291ee7f.pngScreenshot_20231005-115842.thumb.png.c6520c57c6d5972c58b548ffd150d6e1.png

While I speak of the east wind blockage and such in what I term the local palm zone, I rarely speak to the "Chinook" effect  nor the difference in high temperatures during what I term palm killing events. 

I will leave it at that and say look at the almost 24 hour delay in cold(2/1), difference in peak cold high temperatures(single digit vs. mid teens).  I won't even mention the much "lesser" wind with sunshine vs. actual blizzard conditions(exactly what one is seeing on 2/1).

Rr#2. vs Sunport

Abq funky weather..  I need to compare all my weather station data with that station.. and include the one from a street over..   but even then.. depending on storm I've seen it snow in the neighborhood only to go down the hill and there be none....

She's drafty..

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

13 hours ago, SailorBold said:

Abq funky weather..  I need to compare all my weather station data with that station.. and include the one from a street over..   but even then.. depending on storm I've seen it snow in the neighborhood only to go down the hill and there be none....

She's drafty..

And very localized.  There is no "terrain" between the airport and RR or Los Lunas.  Each about 15 miles from the airport. Fifties in LL and RR, upper twenties between the two!

Again, compare 2/1

Creosote and another high mountain w/Rincon in front Screenshot_20231005-191808.thumb.png.076130059482d5ab011a4778b5c30b0c.pngScreenshot_20231005-115842.thumb.png.9fb066ddc0b9d4ea254452bc4165eddb.pngScreenshot_20231007-132437.thumb.png.3236998edaacda0c9b609cd311349372.pngth-3723806466.jpg.81d5c83585e56d46d8d1095c0eb5c6a5.jpg

• Like 1