IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

C. quindiuense sprouts! Now what?

knell

Soaked and settled a few Ceroxylon quindiuense seeds from RPS back in September, and just noticed a some had sprouted this week in both the indoor and outdoor tubs I had set up.

These guys are slow growers and its heading into winter, not sure where or how to proceed.

Should I just ignore them until the end of winter? The tubs keep moisture very steady and it rarely gets below 27 degrees F on my blissful little slope (bringing them all inside is an option as well). Im also clueless as to how much light they want in the beginning.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

image.jpeg

Edited by knell
  • Upvote 1

I have some seedlings from RPS seed as well.  I'm going to move mine into the greenhouse after this weekend (cold weather coming) - I want to keep them above freezing as strap leafers, for sure.

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Mine are currently in a cold frame.  I'm not sure how hardy these are as seedlings, so not going to take any chances next week when it hits freezing.

• Upvote 2

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

So far so good.

Now, time is on someone's side.

50+ years to trunk.

After that, rocket to 200+ feet.

Nor-Cal is where they are best outside habitat.

I'd pot them into 5 gallons once they start to leaf.

Why?

THEY'RE EXPLETIVE HUGE. 30 foot (10- M) long leaves and up.

Keep us apprized, please.

• Upvote 3

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Obviously these are slower than I expected?? I got some good 1 leafers from recent RPS seed too (100% germ rate!).

i will have the opposite problem as we are leading into summer and the temps right now are hot. Based on other ceroxylon sp I have grown I'm not expecting any problems though??

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Kennybenjamin said:

Obviously these are slower than I expected?? I got some good 1 leafers from recent RPS seed too (100% germ rate!).

i will have the opposite problem as we are leading into summer and the temps right now are hot. Based on other ceroxylon sp I have grown I'm not expecting any problems though??

My strap-leafers went through 105+ degrees with no issues.  In deep shade, obviously.

Ben Rogers

15 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Keep us apprized, please.

Whoa, that leaf size! It hadnt sunk in how big these will be until I read that. I guess its proportionate to the height!

Half of these seeds will be donated to a part sun patch in and around a grove of redwood trees... we'll see who's taller in 100 years! Well, wont, but you know

• 4 weeks later...

3 week 3 day update: things that i cannot name off the top of my head are developing

image.thumb.jpeg.70537a8f46d0f4113ed36f2

in the background, uncracked jubaea lies in wait...

the outdoor exposed ones are alive after no protection down to a brief 35F a week after the original post, but are not as far along.

blissful winter since then, has not gone down past 45F. ceroxylons everywhere!

• Upvote 1

looking good!

I love this species.

I have some 5 gal size plants growing at my Carlsbad garden.

This should be a good grower for you up north

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 3 weeks later...

1 month, 11 day update, potted the first little rose thorn:

image.thumb.jpeg.1abbb37a8b3dd2331de0748

here goes nothin... its in a cocopeat liner in a 1g

• Upvote 2

• 1 year later...
On 11/21/2015, 12:14:12, DoomsDave said:

I'd pot them into 5 gallons once they start to leaf.

Why?

Hi Dave, so I'm guessing you would suggest I get this group out of their family plot and into individual (5g??) pots...? How active is their root growth in first year (after this point)?

JT

034.thumb.JPG.2533b63db7638327475bc68dae

036.thumb.JPG.2eaf29a5f8e88db8f3975d8b2d

• Upvote 1

Shimoda, Japan, Lat: 36.6N, Long: 138.8

Zone 9B (kinda, sorta), Pacific Coast, 1Km inland, 75M above sea level
Coldest lows (Jan): 2-5C (35-41F), Hottest highs (Aug): 32-33C (87-91F)

On 11/21/2015, 10:38:55, Ben in Norcal said:

I have some seedlings from RPS seed as well.  I'm going to move mine into the greenhouse after this weekend (cold weather coming) - I want to keep them above freezing as strap leafers, for sure.

Ben, how have yours come along?

JT

Shimoda, Japan, Lat: 36.6N, Long: 138.8

Zone 9B (kinda, sorta), Pacific Coast, 1Km inland, 75M above sea level
Coldest lows (Jan): 2-5C (35-41F), Hottest highs (Aug): 32-33C (87-91F)

10 hours ago, JT in Japan said:

Hi Dave, so I'm guessing you would suggest I get this group out of their family plot and into individual (5g??) pots...? How active is their root growth in first year (after this point)?

JT

034.thumb.JPG.2533b63db7638327475bc68dae

036.thumb.JPG.2eaf29a5f8e88db8f3975d8b2d

My limited experience suggests they don't do much the first year, but then suddenly, zoom to the moon. Other ceroxies seem to be restrained in pots, but this one is so large. For sure I'd give the babies "gallon and a half" deep pots.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

My seeds Ceroxylon quindiuense started germination with approximately 6 months.59668bdf8c309_Ceroxylonquindiuense007.th59668b538711a_Ceroxylonquindiuense006.th

• Upvote 3

Caixeta

• 2 months later...
On 11/21/2015, 8:56:30, Ben in Norcal said:

My strap-leafers went through 105+ degrees with no issues.  In deep shade, obviously.

Ben, did your seedlings do OK after that first year?  I was thinking about starting some myself and we regularly hit 100º+ F (38º+ C) here each summer, but from what I'm reading they might not do so well in that kind of heat.  For once cold is not a problem!

On 7/12/2017, 3:52:04, caixeta said:

My seeds Ceroxylon quindiuense started germination with approximately 6 months.59668bdf8c309_Ceroxylonquindiuense007.th59668b538711a_Ceroxylonquindiuense006.th

Caixeta,

Do you stay as cool as Poços de Caldas in summer?  I've been there to visit a friend who does not like hot weather!  If so your Ceroxylon should do very well.

Jon

Jon Sunder

2 hours ago, Fusca said:

Ben, suas mudas fizeram OK depois desse primeiro ano? Eu estava pensando em começar um pouco de mim e nós regularmente atingimos 100º + F (38º + C) aqui a cada verão, mas do que eu estou lendo eles podem não estar tão bem nesse tipo de calor. Por uma vez frio não é um problema!

Caixeta,

Você fica tão legal quanto Poços de Caldas no verão? Estive lá para visitar um amigo que não gosta de clima quente! Se assim for, seu Ceroxylon deve fazer muito bem.

Jon

Hi Jon. My city Machado is 80 Km from Poços de Caldas ,but  it is a little warmer. Fine coffee region.

• Upvote 1

Caixeta