IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Called out by da Moose, pictures at 11

_Keith

So, in several recent threads and in one PM da Moose has called me out for updated pictures.   Now, I am 7 weeks into a new job with long startup hours and travel.   I haven't seem my garden in daylight or pouring rain in nearly a month, but I took the afternoon off to mow 3 acres and start a long overdue garden cleanup.   So, out I go, and pictures will come at 11, pm that is.   Stay tuned same palm time, same palm channel.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Keith - one day a PRA at your place for sure. For now I can only visit vicariously through your photos. 

I wish I had your 3 acres, you wish you would have my winters. 

Mick Jagger, "You can't always get what you want"

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

4 hours ago, trioderob said:

be happy he did not call you a liar

Rob, are you following Moose?

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

That's 11 CST I presume? Past my bedtime. I'll check back tomorrow.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

15 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

That's 11 CST I presume? Past my bedtime. I'll check back tomorrow.

Well Meg, the best laid plans,,,,,   Today, everyone at work decided to offload their issues at 4pm on a Friday.  I only got 1 or the 3 acres mowed, but I do have a few pics just to pacify, but the majority may come Saturday or even Sunday.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

So, my trunking/suckering best PT guess of C. radicalis is fruiting heavily this fall.   Maybe by some miracle I may actually germinate some this time.

IMG_6491.JPG

IMG_6492.JPG

• Upvote 3

Since robusta, filifera, and filibusta seem to be a current interest right now, here is the trunk on one of mine.  I am guessing the trunk base is close to 3 feet diameter.   I planted 5 of these and each was different.   This is the fatty trunk of the bunch.  More pictures with me for scale with come tomorrow.

IMG_6499.JPG

• Upvote 2

Last year on a trip to SoCal there were 2 palms side by side.   The one on the left definitely looked like a filifera and the one on the right like a robusta.   Figuring that the seeds under each were filibusta, I picked them up, but kept them separate.  In this com-pot also the filifera looking palms seeds are to the left and the robusta looking seeds to the right.  Even at this young age, the difference is noticeable.  I'll be separating them out for overwintering in the greenhouse soon.  It will be interesting to track them over the years.

IMG_6510.JPG

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, _Keith said:

Last year on a trip to SoCal there were 2 palms side by side.   The one on the left definitely looked like a filifera and the one on the right like a robusta.   Figuring that the seeds under each were filibusta, I picked them up, but kept them separate.  In this com-pot also the filifera looking palms seeds are to the left and the robusta looking seeds to the right.  Even at this young age, the difference is noticeable.  I'll be separating them out for overwintering in the greenhouse soon.  It will be interesting to track them over the years.

IMG_6510.JPG

Awesome experiment. I'm curious of the outcome. 

My eyes hurt from examining so many washingtonias today :blink:

On 11/13/2015, 8:06:35, _Keith said:

So, my trunking/suckering best PT guess of C. radicalis is fruiting heavily this fall.   Maybe by some miracle I may actually germinate some this time.

IMG_6491.JPG

IMG_6492.JPG

Great photos Keith, thanks, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Yes!

Mas pictures from Casa _Keith!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thanks, Keith. I was sick yesterday so didn't get a chance to check in.

I've found my Cham rad seeds easy to germinate and very robust. Yours look great. My trunking mother palm never puts out that many seeds.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

OK, it was a busy weekend,  but finally getting some time away from a new job and torrential rains when I wasn't working.  So here is the yatay mule.  It has looked better, but remember first Zone 9a for the pictures, and 2nd we had a brutal summer heatwave with drought.  It has about 3 inches of trunk now and without measuring, I would say it would caliper out around 18 inches.

More pictures coming.

IMG_6515.JPG

• Upvote 4

This is the mystery sabal, with the deeply split leaf bases, that was gifted to me from Larry (SpockVR6).   No one has identified it positively.   It is between 24 and 36 inches at the base and still expanding like a giant baby.

IMG_6516.JPG

• Upvote 2

Also much talk lately about the cold hardiness of L chinensis.   After 2 brutal winter just 3 years apart, here is one of 4 triple trunk specimens I have.   After just one decent winter of recovery it only shows a few battle scars remaining.  I love them.

IMG_6566.JPG

• Upvote 2

So, in the early days maybe I planted to close.   Here is a mule to the left, a CIDP to the right, and 2 poor T fortunei sandwiched in the middle.  Oh, and Dave's B galpinnii which I got as seeds from DoomsDave.

IMG_6548.JPG

• Upvote 3

And just for Moose, here is the C causiarum.   Brand new bed, it put out a couple of new fronds even though it was focusing on roots.   You can see the yard of dirt I added to the bed the day before.  This is a new bed in creation, but surely eventually to be dominated by that single palm.  In the background is a Livistona species from Creekside a few years ago.  It laughs at at 19 degrees.

IMG_6539.JPG

• Upvote 1

And here it the super cold hardy queen.  Yes it suffered in those 2 bad winters, but probably 75% of the other queens in this areas outright died.   Now, this one is on the road to recovery, and has several seedlings beneath it.   It may be the mule of queens from a hardiness perspective.

IMG_6531.JPG

• Upvote 1

And here is my Jubutia, which is slow,,,,,,..  I used to joke I would be happy if at my death it had finally exceeded my height.   Well it is moving along.     Now I just say I will be happy if it trunks in my lifetime.  

IMG_6520.JPG

• Upvote 2

More to come, but tomorrow morning that big ole jet airliner takes be away.   Stay tuned till next weekend, same palm time, same palm channel.

Pictures are worth a thousand words! Looks good Keith.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Here is another.   I love garden statuary.   This lifesize statue of Venus fronts another L chinisus showing a bit more of that cold damage from 2 years ago.   And note the cinnamon peeling bark of the white Natchez Crepe Myrtles.   The fall/winter combination of Crepe Myrtles and palms that I first fell in love with at Rip Van Winkle Gardens nearby.

IMG_6576.JPG

• Upvote 1

And this statue, still in the antique shop which I closed the deal on today, will grace my gardens this weekend coming.  As I have found, a  garden is not a beginning and an end, it is an continuous evolution.    And I love hardscape.  Dealer says origin is New Orleans early 1900s, church grounds.  It anyone knows anything more about this mythical character, please let me know.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

• Upvote 1

Amazing, Keith.  I am still madly in love with that Yatay mule!  Every time I see it, it looks better and better.  One day I hope to have plants to rival yours.

In the meantime, this thread is another great reminder that I need to remove quite a few L. chinensis.  These things get WAY too big for all the places I have shoe-horned them in.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Whoa Kieth!

Those galpinii are awesome! Mine in pots are still teensy after the same amount of time.

Hustle into the ground . . . .

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

4 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Whoa Kieth!

Those galpinii are awesome! Mine in pots are still teensy after the same amount of time.

Hustle into the ground . . . .

And Dave, they froze to the ground year before last.  I was shocked when the came back at all.

4 minutes ago, _Keith said:

And Dave, they froze to the ground year before last.  I was shocked when the came back at all.

Whoa!

Just got back from a screaming run up and down the street.

They like Louisiana better than California; Cali is like their native habitat. Hope they don't turn into an invasive species . . . .

Looks great!!!

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

great looking palms! I like what you did with your place and the species you selected to plant in your garden.

That yatay mule looks great:wub:. I cant wait for mine to get big like yours :greenthumb:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

OK, back in town, so I can put up a few more pictures tonight.   Here is one of the 4 B. alfredii, and the best looking of the 4.  

IMG_6509.JPG

• Upvote 3

One of several combinations of W robusta/multi-trunk L. chinensis.   I wanted to avoid the telephone pole look that would eventually come.   With this W robusta now at around 40 feet and the chinensis at half that, I think I accomplished my goal.

Oh, and that was one of the potted mules that was encased in ice just 2 years ago.

IMG_6655.JPG

• Upvote 1

Here is the T acanthacoma, gifted to me by Axel on my NorCal PRA after its first full year in the ground.   It is started to take off now.

IMG_6665.JPG

• Upvote 1

This palm was gifted to me by Catherine (Kate) and labeled as a hardy Green Bizmarkia, grown from a seed source in S Florida.   So, pretty certain this is some kind Sabal. but which one?   Definite blueish tint and definitely not S minor.   There were 2, but sadly I lost one this summer for no apparent reason.   This one although slow appears to be flourishing.

IMG_6666.JPG

• Upvote 1

This is the S. mexicana from Moose.   Being in a drier area, it has a bit tougher time than the S. causiarum, but is putting out new growth and will do fine.   Can't wait to see Moose's palms thrive over the years.

IMG_6687.JPG

• Upvote 1