IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

doranakandawatta

We planted 2 Licuala distans seedlings in august 2014. They look quite strong now; juvenile growth.

IMG_4134.thumb.JPG.ce44ae9bd3b851ca0bd2d
IMG_4137.thumb.JPG.ac0aad402af5b22c1d31c
IMG_4112.thumb.JPG.a4e28e438af9eb00e0422
We didn't plant the second one in a too crowded situation, the other palms you see on the picture belong to a "waiting room nursery".
But I am sure they rooted through the pots in the good soil.

Dead leaves belong to mangusteen trees.

• Upvote 2

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Just planted two of these a couple of months ago and the new leaves are more compact than the older greenhouse stretched 

leaves. I saw one at Jeff's place and just had to have a couple.

Tim 

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 9 months later...

update, august 2016, after two years.

these Licuala distans belong to the "Licuala garden" we are growing under mangusteen trees.

(Yes, we too are starting a Licuala garden, like hawaiian friends we sadly don't see on PT anymore)

It seems the half shade and the compost of mangusteen leaves are good for them.

57c3022911445_P1010059copie.thumb.JPG.9a57c3023634358_P1010133copie.thumb.JPG.3957c3022d7e5d7_P1010062copie.thumb.JPG.b857c3023c0cb99_P1010136copie.thumb.JPG.d7

• Upvote 4

Philippe

would a palm expert here on Palmtalk (or in Germany, lol) confirm it's Licuala distans? I am ignorant and believe what the label says. Thanks

Philippe

4 hours ago, doranakandawatta said:

would a palm expert here on Palmtalk (or in Germany, lol) confirm it's Licuala distans? I am ignorant and believe what the label says. Thanks

Philippe, Im no Palm expert, but your Licuala is 100% Distans  and its lookn "great" :greenthumb:  and they look and do best in shade/well filtered light   ...   Pete

57c355184c0c2_015(2).thumb.JPG.993f817eb  

7 hours ago, Pedro 65 said:

Philippe, Im no Palm expert, but your Licuala is 100% Distans  and its lookn "great" :greenthumb:  and they look and do best in shade/well filtered light   ...   Pete

57c355184c0c2_015(2).thumb.JPG.993f817eb  

Thank you Pete,

Do you have other pics of for Licuala collection?

Philippe

I dont have much of a Licuala "collection" really Philippe, trialed  and errored plenty with plenty of "errors" :) Pete

Hi Philippe looks superficialy at least identicle to my L. distans I got from Thailand, had them for seven years or so I suppose. I have a few planted in shade and one permanently in a pot, the latter which has stayed much smaller but very attractive. Beutifull thing well grown and protected. I've seen it in the wild in Thailand where its leaves grow huge floating on elegant very skinny long petioles, very very nice effect. Seems slow growing left to it's own devises but does respond very well to fertiliser and watering with an immiediate spurt of growth.  I can never remember to feed them all as I have the ones in the ground at the back of some quite dense planting. For me as hardy as L ramsayii or Kerriodoxa elegans, they never lost a leaflet or turned anything but a deep green down to a rather dramatic 6%C/42%F single shock event last dry season. Yourse look to be doing well, much faster than mine at that age  ;)

Cerdic

Non omnis moriar (Horace)

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...