IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal minor seeds and seedlings

Stevetoad

If anyone wants some sabal minor seeds or seedlings let me know. I seem to have an endless supply of seeds and seedlings popping up. 

image.jpeg

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

These are one of the hardiest palms, they'll grow in Oklahoma, and elsewhere you don't expect to find palms. They're worth a try outdoors in places like Northern Ireland, England, southern Sweden, Long Island, Virginia Beach, Washington DC, etc.

There's different forms of them, but they're all relatively small.

Maybe Steve can elaborate as to what form his seeds/seedlings are from . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

These are one of the hardiest palms, they'll grow in Oklahoma, and elsewhere you don't expect to find palms. They're worth a try outdoors in places like Northern Ireland, England, southern Sweden, Long Island, Virginia Beach, Washington DC, etc.

There's different forms of them, but they're all relatively small.

Maybe Steve can elaborate as to what form his seeds/seedlings are from . . . .

here's the mama. I should have put this in the original post  but I'd rather them be a local pick up  if I have any left in a few weeks I'll ship some out  

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

On 11/6/2015, 5:55:57, sashaeffer said:

I would love some seedlings as I seem to have almost no luck with seed germination.

I used to think that, then I got seed from DoomsDave and now I have no room....

• Upvote 1

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

• 3 months later...
On 11/6/2015, 11:55:57, sashaeffer said:

I would love some seedlings as I seem to have almost no luck with seed germination.

Then I am in good company. I have been trying with Dypsis decaryi, also a tree seed which is a lovely tree with red flowers in Tenerife....no joy.

I scrape, I soak...dear me not short of the will to succeed but..

:)

• Upvote 1

On March 14, 2016 at 8:32:42 PM, earthworm73 said:

Stevetoad you have any of those s. minor seeds left?

Seems to be an endless supply of seeds. I'm out of seedlings though

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

On March 8, 2016 at 4:28:23 AM, tunku2 said:

also a tree seed which is a lovely tree with red flowers in Tenerife....

sounds like royal poinciana

1 hour ago, empireo22 said:

sounds like royal poinciana

For me sounds more like Delonix regia

08053.gif

• 1 month later...

Steve I received the seeds like back on the 22nd of April. I sowed them on the 24th. I used scarification and I put them into damp paper towels inside of plastic Ziploc baggies after soaking them. I looked this morning at I saw about 4 out of like 15 have "eyed" a sprout! So basically 1 week for germination!

Just wondering if I should let the ones that have sprouted stay in the baggie a little longer before moving them to containers with growing mix or take them out now and put them into the container? 

Most of  my seedlings I let get pretty meaty in perlite for a while then pot them up. Mostly because I'm lazy but it seems to work ok. 

• Upvote 1

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

34 minutes ago, Stevetoad said:

Most of  my seedlings I let get pretty meaty in perlite for a while then pot them up. Mostly because I'm lazy but it seems to work ok. 

Okay thanks. Yeah this is the first time I actually have been able to germinate Sabal anything ever. Most of my attempts resulted in growing mold and not palms. I'll just wait a couple of weeks before potting up. I checked this evening and noticed my s. uresana seeds are in the exact same stage as these s. minors and it makes more sense to pot them all up at the same time. Make one big batch of seeds.

BTW I'm calling these Sabal Minor 'SoCal'. Yeah I know prolly not original but...

• 3 weeks later...