Pushing the zone with Rainbow eucalyptus

45 posts in this topic

I have heard these trees do not do well in high winds.  Always loved the tree but I am not willing to have a monster, that it can become, fall and crash onto my home during a hurricane.  Way too many of those seem to hit us in SW Fl since Charley in 04.  Always wanted one but...

On 7/9/2018, 8:43:20, Opal92 said:

I saw the same tree at the Dole Pineapple plantation back in 2007- that's where I first discovered them, one of the best examples there. When I and my family were visiting in Aug that year, Hurricane Flossie was off to the southeast and creating high winds over Oahu- we were on a garden tour at the Pineapple plantation and there was a gust of wind. Branch snapping could be heard from the rainbow eucalyptus and the tour guide ushered people away from the tree. 

Just like I said...not good in high winds.

2 hours ago, Cape Garrett said:

Just like I said...not good in high winds.

I had 2 of them in my yard during Irma, one was 25' and the other 15' and no issues at all except some small branched broken. I recorded 109 mph winds.  It did surprise me as I thought they would be more damaged, but my neighbors queen palm next to my larger rainbow went down but the rainbow did great.

2 hours ago, Palmaceae said:

I had 2 of them in my yard during Irma, one was 25' and the other 15' and no issues at all except some small branched broken. I recorded 109 mph winds.  It did surprise me as I thought they would be more damaged, but my neighbors queen palm next to my larger rainbow went down but the rainbow did great.

I would be more concerned as a larger tree...there is a reason we don't see these too often in south FL...just not willing to take that chance

15 hours ago, Cape Garrett said:

I have heard these trees do not do well in high winds.  Always loved the tree but I am not willing to have a monster, that it can become, fall and crash onto my home during a hurricane.  Way too many of those seem to hit us in SW Fl since Charley in 04.  Always wanted one but...

Amen, Garrett. Our two large ones came crashing down in Hurricane Irma. Fortunately, they damaged only palms (Coccothrinax) beneath them because they were far from the the house. If they'd been on our two lot site they would have taken out the house. Those things scare me now. My husband insisted on replacing one of them even though the woman at the nursery confirmed they don't do well in storms.