IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PALM SOCIETY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA NOVEMBER MEETING

DoomsDave

KOO-KOO FOR COCONUTS?    

If you even looked at this post, you know you are!

Don’t miss The Palm Society of Southern California's November 21, 2015 meeting in Palm Desert and Coachella!

We will be meeting for the first time at two gardens, one of which features a maturing Cocos nucifera. This is at the home and garden of Greg Curdes, at 59905 Avenida Bermudas, La Quinta, CA 92253. Greg planted his coconut in a garden enclosed by a wall and near a pool. The coconut is about 20 feet tall. It's not some anemic excuse, but a bodacious specimen.

The next garden will be at the home and garden of PSSC member Danny Lopez, at 48329 Agua Caliente Street, Coachella, CA 92236. Mr. Lopez’s garden is new, but it is full of many tropical palms you don’t expect to find in the desert, including Royals.

The Board meeting will start at 9:30 a.m. at the Curdes home; visits can start at 10:00 a.m. The Board meeting will adjourn at 11:00 a.m.

Lunch will be served at the Lopez garden at about 12:00 noon, followed by a general meeting and plant auction. This is a POTLUCK meeting, so bring your favorite food to share. Chicken will be provided.

For the Auction, please bring rare palms 1 - 5 gallons best. Please avoid CIDP, etc.

See you there.

DIRECTIONS!

TO THE FIRST GARDEN. Exit from I-10 on Washington Street. Go south on Washington Street and continue southwards until the road ends on 52 Avenue. Turn right on 52 Avenue, then left on Avenida Bermudas. The Curdes home is about two miles down that road to the right.

TO THE SECOND GARDEN. Exit the Curdes garden, and go back down Avenida Bermudas, then turn right onto 52 Avenue, continue eastwards then make a left on Calhoun Street. From Calhoun Street make a left onto El Mar, (right before the traffic lights on 48th ave) then another quick left onto La Playa, then a quick right onto Calle Colima. Mr. Lopez’s house is at the end of this street where it turns into Agua Caliente Street. (The one with all the Palms!)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

59-905 Avenida Bermudas, La Quinta, CA 92253.

Thanks Dave!

I think this would work better: 53905 Avenida Bermudas, La Quinta, CA 92253

that's more better.

IMG_20150605_5299.thumb.jpg.484134ca921aDefinitely a bodacious coco! I took this pic before summer...

I drove by a couple weeks ago, the coco looked great! And not all burnt up from this past intense summer. Most queen palms look horrible right now, so I was very surprised to see the coconut looking so good.

Hopefully it will start making little cocos like the one they chopped down in Palm Desert soon...

Thanks Danny!

That's not some poor, struggling, anemic looking thing along PCH getting peed on by dogs and gassed by boat exhaust.

This is almost like going to Hawaii, or Florida, or even Saudi Arabia . . . .

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 2 weeks later...

Who's coming?

hooters owl photo: Owl owl.jpg

I'm out.. :( 

it's not like me to miss a meeting.

I know, no excuses..lol

post lots of pictures!!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

On 11/11/2015, 12:43:46, Josh-O said:

I know, no excuses..lol

post lots of pictures!!!

I would love to go, just a bit of a travel issue.

Josh, I thought you were bringing Triode?

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

8 hours ago, Moose said:

I would love to go, just a bit of a travel issue.

Josh, I thought you were bringing Triode?

what whaaaaaaaat???

:floor:

Sunset zone 24

There is a rumor that a Sabal Lisa will show up at the auction!

• Upvote 1

We can always use a black stem.

On 11/15/2015, 5:24:10, DoomsDave said:

We can always use a black stem.

just skype Darold in on the auction with his.:mrlooney:

Sunset zone 24

On 11/15/2015, 7:31:14, Moose said:

There is a rumor that a Sabal Lisa will show up at the auction!

I pre bid 1,000 yen on any size Lisa..:mrlooney:

Sunset zone 24

On 11/10/2015, 9:43:46, Josh-O said:

I know, no excuses..lol

post lots of pictures!!!

Would you change your plans for Lisa........

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Come on out, represent!

See for yourself that the Palm Desert Coconut is not a myth, but a live, growing reality. Put your hands on its trunk and run them up and down . . . :rolleyes:

Maybe swing by the Great Saint Andy and see the lines of Washies Danny was talking about!

14 hours ago, George Sparkman said:

Would you change your plans for Lisa........

Hahaha! Only if she's topless :blink:

Sunset zone 24

ahh shucks!! I was hoping it would have gone for big money :(  Now what am I going to do with all my little "Lisa" seedlings that have sprouted?

Sunset zone 24

4 hours ago, Josh-O said:

ahh shucks!! I was hoping it would have gone for big money :(  Now what am I going to do with all my little "Lisa" seedlings that have sprouted?

Wait 6 or 7 years to see which have the Lisa trait. Then decide what you are going to do with all the S palmettos that you put all the time and resources into. If it were easy, then there would be a bunch of them available.

4 hours ago, Moose said:

Wait 6 or 7 years to see which have the Lisa trait. Then decide what you are going to do with all the S palmettos that you put all the time and resources into. If it were easy, then there would be a bunch of them available.

true dat!!

Sunset zone 24