IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

N. Florida cold hardy palms

tank

Some recent photos of some of the palms I have planted out here in north Florida.

Livistona australis

image.thumb.jpeg.772fe510feef74e92a0500b

Trithrinax acanthocoma

image.thumb.jpeg.93933ea7c3f7ceb51ff9f98

Edited by tank
  • Upvote 1

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Neat! Do you have a Jubaea X Syagrus? 

It's interesting that all of the Butia x parajubae in Florida take after the Butia so much. 

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Neat! Do you have a Jubaea X Syagrus? 

It's interesting that all of the Butia x parajubae in Florida take after the Butia so much. 

I have a 5 gal I plan to plant in the spring.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Acrocomia totai

image.thumb.jpeg.9834aa811934c8c5ea2a0ec

Livistona muelleri

image.thumb.jpeg.ce1fbb6e1fa1b5bc1aa6c75

Livistona mariae

image.thumb.jpeg.82c79659a4e1c353864975c

Parajubaea sunkha

image.thumb.jpeg.6b45419986723be8747cea1

Edited by tank

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

You have very good taste in palms Tank. How old is the BxP? 

About 4 years old, I think..... Got it as a VERY small plant.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Some recent photos of some of the palms I have planted out here in north Florida.

Livistona australis

image.thumb.jpeg.772fe510feef74e92a0500b

Trithrinax acanthocoma

image.thumb.jpeg.93933ea7c3f7ceb51ff9f98

Hi Jason,

Nice seeing some of those palms again. Good luck with Trithrinax acanthocoma, did you grown it from seed? I had one that died from a fungal infection about a few months ago. I replaced it with that Waggy I got from you early in the season.

I've read most forums I could find on this site regarding A. totai's hardiness. From what I get, seems like the species is variable with the most hardy forms possibly tolerating 9a/8b (the fabled Dade City ones). I also saw a picture of a very mature tree in Gaineseville. What do you expect for yours there in zone 8b, and did you get a more hardy form?

I've read most forums I could find on this site regarding A. totai's hardiness. From what I get, seems like the species is variable with the most hardy forms possibly tolerating 9a/8b (the fabled Dade City ones). I also saw a picture of a very mature tree in Gaineseville. What do you expect for yours there in zone 8b, and did you get a more hardy form?

My A. Totai is not very cold hardy.  Pretty much defoliates every winter and comes back like a champ in the spring.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Looks great. Have you had any issues with your Brahea claras? I think I've heard they're easier here than armata.

That Ceratozamia really is a beauty. Looks like it's still getting bigger, too, since the older leaves are smaller. I wonder if they're as long-lived as other cycad genera.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

Looks great. Have you had any issues with your Brahea claras? I think I've heard they're easier here than armata.

That Ceratozamia really is a beauty. Looks like it's still getting bigger, too, since the older leaves are smaller. I wonder if they're as long-lived as other cycad genera.

No problems with the Clara.  The ceratozamia is a "Palma sola" type, the leaves will continue to get larger, probably over 8'+.  Currently they are 5'.  Have no idea how long they live, probably longer than I will :mellow:

Edited by tank

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Jub x butia

image.thumb.jpg.62da914e02fa070a0c6c08f7

Jub x but x syagrus

image.thumb.jpg.13efcb42e213c1da546a8287

But x parajub

image.thumb.jpg.cdd0d915c5f5b0aaf2ad4745

Mule and Brahea clara

image.thumb.jpg.7502ca8a9797405fe3ab321c

Jason, where did you get the J x B x Q? It looks almost exactly like my BJ x Q.

Tom Birt - Casas Adobes, AZ

Hi 75, Lo 48

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

Jub x butia

Hi 75, Lo 48

Jub x butia

Jub x but x syagrus

But x parajub

Mule and Brahea clara

Hi 75, Lo 48

From Tim Hopper.  Technically it is probably a ((JxB)xB)xS) as the Mom was a JxBxB.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Thanks for sharing these pics.  Beautiful garden!  What Butia species is in your But x Parajub cross?

Not sure, assume that it was catarinensis (capitata) or eriospatha.  Whatever non yatay butia Patric in California uses as the mother of these hybrids.

Frond,

Sorry to hear about your plant.  Hopefully the T. wagneriensis will thrive.

I obtained a T. acanthocoma and a T. brasilliensis (lumped to the fomer) from a friend in Cali as 1 gal plants.  Haven't planted the brasilliensis out yet.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Thanks for sharing these pics.  Beautiful garden!  What Butia species is in your But x Parajub cross?

Not sure, assume that it was catarinensis (capitata) or eriospatha.  Whatever non yatay butia Patric in California uses as the mother of these hybrids.

Pattric uses multiple, different, Butia for his BxP crosses.  I have a paraguayensis as well as a capitata/odorata cross from him.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Pattric uses multiple, different, Butia for his BxP crosses.  I have a paraguayensis as well as a capitata/odorata cross from him.

Looked up the email correspondence between Patric and I and there was no mention of the Butia species, listed only as "BxPJ".

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Looked up the email correspondence between Patric and I and there was no mention of the Butia species, listed only as "BxPJ".

Probably odorata then.  If it was paraguayensis I should think he would have been specific about that.  Interestingly, the latter has been far faster for me, and is quite a bit larger, which is odd given the mother plant's dwarf habit.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Mules and copernicia alba

image.thumb.jpeg.031c02e9400efd190a2ffb2

mule and nannorrhops ritchiana arabica

image.thumb.jpeg.f9303ec6f12dd0dad0acd50

Copernicia prunifera

image.thumb.jpeg.0fb4541b19d7e8b2ca969f4

Edited by tank

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Around here, I've observed Trachycarpus fortunei decline and die when planted in sand. What kind of soil are you T. wagnerianus growing in?

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

Everything is looking great. Got many of the same things trialing up here. Glad to see your P. sunkha is doing ok....mine just sits there....maybe the cool nights will spur some growth.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Nice, Tank!  Things are growing fast.

Speaking of cold-hardy palms in northern Florida, can anyone identify the palm in the attached photo?  (Click to enlarge)  The photo was taken today in Tallahassee, practically the coldest city in northern Florida (in winter) -- even though it was almost 90 degrees Fahrenheit on this November day.

Whatever it is, this palm must be pretty cold-hardy.      

1102151220a.jpg

What are the coldest temps your hybrids have seen? They look awesome. 

A few of the mules saw temps in the mid to upper teens F in 2010.  All of them lost their spears and took some leaf damage.  All recovered.  All the rest were planted out since then.  They have only seen lows into the mid to lower 20Fs so none have REALLY been tested.  Looking forward to a mild winter.....

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Around here, I've observed Trachycarpus fortunei decline and die when planted in sand. What kind of soil are you T. wagnerianus growing in?

Those two are in well drained sand but heavily mulched with pine bark, I have a couple growing in saturated, mucky soil and they seem to be happy as well.  I suppose mulching helps with the nematodes.

Sandy,

Thanks, I hope all of your plants enjoyed the wet summer.

Dave,

The sunkha seems to be happy and has been a steady grower all summer.  It is in a well drained raised planter.

Edited by tank

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Where was the Tallahassee pic taken? Looks like FSU-style landscaping.

Yes, it was beside one of the frat houses near FSU. I am surprised that the larger palm in the middle is a mule palm.  I had already decided that the two smaller palms on either side must be mules, but the one in the middle is quite different from the usual mules.  The fronds were quite straight (not as curved as a butia odoratata), not feathery like a queen palm, and the trunk was quite fibrous.  The trunk also had no queen shape to it at all.  It may turn out to be one of those mule palms which are not very cold-hardy because they are not very butia-like.    

Back to Tank's palms -- I have a feeling that Tank's parajubaea sunkha is going to grow quickly because it already has.  The leaves are already splitting significantly.  I wish I knew what the secret was.  Mine just sits there and doesn't grow after at least three years.  Apparently some of you in the southeast are having the same experience as me.   

• 3 weeks later...