IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Leonard Goldstein

Often called the “best rare plant auction in South Florida,” the TFEPS annual auction is an event you’ll want to attend. You don't have to be a Society member to enjoy the refreshments and bid on plants; the auction is open to the public. The Society's big fundraiser will be held on Monday, October 26, in the Garden House at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, and the action will begin at 7:00 PM. This year a duo of auctioneers, both members of the Palm Society, will provide an evening of excitement and entertainment as they present the rare and unusual -- along with other desirable tropical plants -- for bid. You'll encounter species from a wide array of families -- trees to shrubs, orchids to ferns, palms to gingers, bromeliads to succulents, aroids to crotons. It’s always thrilling to finally acquire that one plant that's been eluding you for a long time; the TFEPS auction may well be the place where you'll find it. Special plants are being donated by FTBG and Pinecrest Gardens, as well as nurseries including Ree Gardens and Pope's Tropicals. We hope to see you Monday night!

Edited by Leonard Goldstein

It has always been an incredible event as any rare plant may show up for auction. Plants that have not been seen in years have been known to make an appearance. It becomes a great opportunity to learn about not just Tropical Ferns and plants, but often obscure plant families. There is always a new plant there I had never seen before.

I attended the TFEPS Auction last year, but did not have the time to do a topic on it. I believe it was the first time it took place in the Garden House auditorium. It was a serious plant filled event, complimented with a huge spread of food.

I did do a topic on the Auction from two years ago, Oct. 28th, 2013, when it was held in the smaller room in the Corbin Building, next door to the auditorium. Follow the link below to the topic:

Link: TFEPS - Annual Auction - 2013

If you are able to be in the area it would be a worthwhile Plant Related Event to attend. I plan on being there with many others, I know they are eager to see what will be in the auction.

Ryan

South Florida

I'll be there!!! And like the others stated above, this really is a great, fun night to attend. I look forward to picking out some choice plants that I think will bring big $$$$$. If you can, please try to attend.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I plan on attending and bringing some unusual and or rare crotons for the auction. This is a great event!

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Just got done rummaging through the greenhouses. Pulled out a bunch of crotons. My buddy Kip came by with his van and we loaded about 25 different crotons for the Monday auction. More will get crammrd into my Toyota, should have about 40 different varieties.

If you are looking to color up your garden, you should definitely try to attend.

Edited by Moose

40 Crotons?? !!! :bemused:

Thats right Searle, you better rest your auctioneer voice, your going to need it.

Jeff did an outstanding job as auctioneer. His plant knowledge and abilitiy of working a crowd raised some nice funds for this wonderful Society. Kudos to you Mr. Searle!

Jeff did an outstanding job as auctioneer. His plant knowledge and abilitiy of working a crowd raised some nice funds for this wonderful Society. Kudos to you Mr. Searle!

Thank you Ron. It was really a fun night and it seemed like lots of money was raised due in part to a tremendous amount of rare and unusual plants that were donated. And I must admit, with all the wonderful crotons that were brought in ( well over 50 plants ) they raised not only a lot of money but a great amount of interest. Easily you and Marie donated the most plants.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I hope Ryan will be taking pictures of this plant gala!

It was a great evening for the society and for the plant enthusiast in everyone. I took a lot of photos and I am editing them now, still figuring out where to post them. I could add them to this topic, or start a new one, plus there is Marie's topic over at Palmpedia. I will think of somewhere.

Ryan

South Florida