IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Euterpe edulis "Reserva" fruiting for the 2nd year

Alberto

Nine years ago I found Euterpe edulis growing in the municipality of Reserva, located +- in 100 km in straight line from here. I found them growing in araucaria forest at 850 m altitude. I collected seeds and obtained a lot of seedlings. All this survived fine here and only a few were killed by a severe frost some years ago that killed my big Chamaedorea costaricana plants.Three of them are flowering for the second year now. I noted that the real fast growers were the ones that are growing near the house were all the rain water from the roof flows. So it needs tons of water to grow fast!

Original post of the trip:  http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/2078-trip-to-seek-after-the-hardier-euterpe-edulis/#comment-34177

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/2045-trip-to-central-paraná/#comment-33348

Edited by Alberto

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Phone cell pics of the fruiting Euterpe edulis

12064413_882892808461274_2117652595_n (1).jpg

12166223_882892815127940_1970738793_n.jpg

12166702_882892938461261_99316261_n.jpg

12167026_882892875127934_310517118_n.jpg

12167738_882892818461273_240460729_n.jpg

Edited by Alberto
  • Upvote 1

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

Thank you for all the threads! Euterpes are all very beautiful. I tried to see the pictures from your trip but unfortunately the site no longer holds your journey:(. Regardless I am happy to see some of your pictures here, they did grow quite a lot during these last years! 

Did you see Edulis with drooping leaves during your journey, like their tropical cousins? I have read that they get the droopy look once they are taller, regardless they are very beautiful.

I look forward to seeing more pictures of those Euterpes:)

Ps: Need to get myself some Euterpes, maybe Edulis normal or orange variety and Espiritosantensis.

Edited by Cluster

Did you pick any of the fruit and eat them ?

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I collected all the fruits and will clean them to germinate them. Yes ,I ate some. The taste is the same as açaí, and studies suggest that the amount of the good stuffs in the juçara palm (E. edulis ) is even higher then in the açaí palm.

The leaflets are droopy in old palms. Old pics of the juçara palms near Campo Mourão

post-465-1161654852.jpg

post-465-1161654967.jpg

• Upvote 1

Very nice! Do you ever plan to distribute seeds? I think they'd be in high demand on Palmtalk. 

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Alberto, keep me on your shipping list! ;)

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

Love those habitat pictures! Thanks for sharing.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Alberto do you happen to have more pictures from your Euterpes or habitat ones? You will have a nice forest of Euterpes soon with all those seeds:)

awesome pic's especially when they are habitat pic's 

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Super cool that they survived a frost and fruited thanks for your input I am going to be planting a green one soon I already have a triple planting of the orange crownshaft version and they  are very fast and very thirsty. Cheers it was great hanging out with you and your wife on your visit to san diego 

• 7 years later...

It' s now many years that my cultivated high altitude Euterpe edulis are thriving also at my place. If someone of you was also able to cultivate de Euterpe edulis " Reserva " collected by me in the municipality of Reserva, and which offspring was sold by RPS years ago, please show me your palms! Thanks

20230701_103544.jpg

20230701_103606.jpg

20230701_103833.jpg

20230701_105436.jpg

• Like 2

They are trying to grow through the forest canopy and some are succeeding. The fruits are spread by birds like "tucano-de-bico-verde" and " jacús" etc

20230701_120451.jpg

20230701_120207.jpg

20230701_120226.jpg

20230701_120253.jpg

• Like 1

Alberto, do you distribute the seeds sometimes or do you sell them to RPS? I realy would love to try this palm.

I sold them to RPS. Once I brought the seeds with me on trip to Europe.