IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Exotic Life

Hi all, 

We are in the middle of Autumn here now, so I though it would be a good time to share some pictures from the garden this year. I think it have been awhile that I shared pictures here from the garden so some things have been grown well for our european standards. 

Growing season this year had two sides a coolish side till June with very dry conditions and the second half was much warmer but also wetter. If we look only to the summerperiod we see that we almost broke our national heat record. On july 2th 38.2C/100F have been recorded in the southeast of Holland, I recorded almost 36/97F degrees which have been the warmest day this summer/year but personally not my warmest as I recorded 37.2/99F degrees in 2006. 

Biggest difference in the garden this year is the color of the walls. They have been bright yellow for years, but they had a paint job this spring and are more terracotta at the moment. Some pictures have been taken this summer but the most of them a few days ago.

OLD (2008)

PICT0115.jpg

NEW

2015-08-08%2015.11.38_zpszuhccrgq.jpg

2015-07-04%2011.09.24_zpscuvt9zr9.jpg

2015-08-21%2017.16.31_zpsiv2lqdpt.jpg

2015-10-11%2012.30.55_zpsabipu0yr.jpg

• Upvote 1

Southwest

Hey Robbin, your place is looking amazing !!!........... Those little Alexandra seedlings, are they from the seed you collected when you were with me here in the Whitsundays?

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Your Yucca looks amazing!  I was curious what the feather leafed seedlings that you grew were.  Ever thought about growing a Sabal?  I suspect that they would be an even easier grow than your Washingtonia.

Thanks all. 
Officially it is the garden from my parents but I do "own" the garden. After returning from Australia last year I started living in Rotterdam, but in a appartment with only a balcony. Looking forward to have my "second" own garden again here in Holland or somewhere warmer. One of the reasons why I started to plant more hardier stuff in my parents garden for more easy maintaining.

Hey Robbin, your place is looking amazing !!!........... Those little Alexandra seedlings, are they from the seed you collected when you were with me here in the Whitsundays?

Hi! I think they are yes. They have been growing quite fast after germinating but slowed down at the moment, i do see however some splitted leafes at a few ones. 
The only thing I need now is a bit more degrees climate warming to plant them out... :)

Your Yucca looks amazing!  I was curious what the feather leafed seedlings that you grew were.  Ever thought about growing a Sabal?  I suspect that they would be an even easier grow than your Washingtonia.

Thanks. The feather leafed seedlings are Rhopalostylis sapida (South Island), very slow but little beautifull plants. 
I do like Sabal species but the biggest problem with those here is that our summers can't provide enough heat to grow well. Sabal will survive mine winters without any problem  (Specially if keeping dry) but grow only one leaf a year and if you are lucky maybe 2. If Sabal's get damaged somehow because winter it is going to take ages before it is looking okay again. Washingtonia is growing here just as fast like a Trachycarpus. Mine is mostly producing between 15-20 leafes a year which is a lot for northwest Europe. They do grow here also quite fast under cool conditions, so if those got damaged it will look much faster okay again. 

I do however want to plant a new palm next spring, at the moment I am thinking about a different Trachycarpus or maybe a Brahea armata or Jubaea chilensis. 

Southwest

Some more...

This little Cycas revoluta is surviving here but needs to be removed next spring as I want re-design the southfaced wall border again. I'm thinking about a slow growing palm tree or maybe a hardy exotic looking unusual shrub. A big Cycas revoluta has also been a option but they are way to expensive. 

2015-10-11%2012.22.44_zpsxco3ojzw.jpg

2015-10-11%2012.20.17_zpskbf7jonc.jpg

Bananas

2015-08-16%2013.09.33_zpsjemhhc8t.jpg

• Upvote 1

Southwest

I would love to be in the South of Spain but unfornately I am still in Holland. :)

Thanks!

• Upvote 1

Southwest

Thanks Kai.

I can't move the Phoenix inside a greenhouse indeed as it has been planted since 2004. 
The Phoenix and also Washingtonia are the palms that got protection during winter if needed. The time of bring protection can be different each year because I just follow the weather and decide when needed. At the moment I still enjoy the palm right away, way too early for protection. 

If we can have a winter like the last two, you don't hear me complaining. Winter 2013/2014 the garden have been frost free and only recorded a very few light frosts in winter 2014/2015. Even parts of a Chamaedorea elegans clumb that was planted as summer bedding survived. 

Edited by Exotic Life

Southwest