IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Growing Tall Cactus

Palm crazy

What some of the hardiest tall growing Cactus? I mean really tall like 6’ or more. Any that can take wet winters? I also like orange colour flowers. Are there any that can take 15F? I also like orange flowering plants like COCHEMIEA POSELGERI.  Cochemiea-halei.jpg

Thanks for any replays. 

Edited by Palm crazy

Here you go, but you will have to wait 100 years....

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/60113/

John that would be cool if that one was a little more faster growing.  LOL!

I’m thinking there must be a fast hardy cactus from Chile or Argentina, but can’t remember the name. I think it is one of the blue looking species. I’ll have to do some research. 

Thanks for your reply. 

I have one that is 15 inches tall in my front yard.....I estimate for it to get as tall as me will take 56 years or so.......I probably will not be around to see it.....but my grandchildren might!

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Neobauxbaumia polylopha or Triochocereus tershekii might survive 15F in the right conditions. Not sure about finding any with orange flowers though.

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

Thanks for the suggestion guys….I think what I am going to do next spring is just buy local cactus at H.D. For some reason they use a lot of cactus from Argentina here. Austinpalm those are some interesting suggestion will look them up. One cactus I like to grow in a container is Pilosocereus cactus ( blue form) they would look really cool. 

Thanks for replies!

Edited by Palm crazy

Are you thinking of Echinopsis pachanoi, the San Pedro cactus?  A favorite in my yard...quick growing and hardy.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Are you thinking of Echinopsis pachanoi, the San Pedro cactus?  A favorite in my yard...quick growing and hardy.

That sounds like it, Thanks for finding it ! 

But not sure it would be hardy this far north? And then theres the high windstorms in winter.  Looks like it only hardy to z9, bummer! 

We get high winds here too, handles those fine.  Give it a go, cuttings are cheap on eBay...worth a try right?

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Another is the Cereus repandus (Apple cactus) I had one, got sick of it & dug it out. Don't think it will do 15F, but mine saw high teens a few times with no damage.

Looking through streetview, I've found this almost "desert-tropical" theme in some of these nicer FL neighborhoods. Although this may not help if you're looking for cold-hardiness, but certainly looks like this cactus in Punta Gorda is thriving in the FL weather.

Edited by Opal92

Roger,

This one was mentioned is a previous post in this thread.... it is hardy to 8b.

These photos (all 3 do not get to the top) are of one of the largest cacti I have ever seen and touched. Easily 30 feet tall and should get taller.

Hope this helps. When one becomes available, I'll let you know!

JC

Echinopsis terscheckii 2.jpg

Echinopsis terscheckii 3.jpg

Echinopsis terscheckii.jpg

John Case

Brentwood CA

Let me know too, John!  I'm going through a "columnar cactus" phase. ;)

This one is effin huge! And a faster grower than saguaro....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Is this the same as Trichocereus terscheckii?  I have one of those on the way from eBay.  Should arrive tomorrow.

Also just got a big Pachycereus pringlei which looks a bit like a saguaro.

Ben Rogers

Saguaros can grow faster is you water well during growth season, and have the topsoil composed of potting soil.  Make sure the soil directly underneath the plant is solid, like sand, fine gravel, or stable subsoil.  Remember these plants will weigh a lot when they get big.  Iv'e seen saguaros grow very fast with a highly organic topsoil, and fertilizer.

WOW those are awesome examples, would love a start John when it ready…. can trade for something I bet. lol.

Ben, Pachycereus pringlei is a nice one too, nice container plant here. 

Several went in the ground today:

Cereus Peruvianus 

Cereus Peruvianus Monstrose

Pachycereus marginatus

Pachycereus pringlei

Trichocereus terscheckii

Will be fun to see how all of these do!

Ben Rogers