IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Areca sp. fractiflexa seedlings for sale

Rory

I've got 40 extra seedlings of this Areca sp. for sale. Since the name I'm using on this isn't a valid one here's the info I have on this palm. It's been sold here in South Florida as Pinanga fractiflexa in the past, but over the last year or two when the first of these came into flower over here it was obvious that they were an Areca sp. and not a Pinanga based off the inflorescence. I know of one of these in particular that John Dransfield looked at while in flower last year and he even he was unsure what it was and seemed to think it was probably an undescribed species. The palm's a beautiful slender clustering or solitary Areca species somewhat similar in appearance to A. triandra with incredibly fragrant flowers at certain times of the day with a very floral orchid like scent. I don't know about its cold tolerance elsewhere, but I do know that these handled the bad winters we had a few years back fine, so they definitely have some degree of cold tolerance for an Areca.

Anyway I'm selling all 40 of these for $80 or $45/20. Shipping included. PM me for more info.

Here's a picture of the palm. For any other pictures you can go to the palmpedia page for Pinanga fractiflexa and any picture that says it's from FL is the same palm as this.

PfDSC_0015.thumb.jpg.ae87c15c5bd6ec3e6d7

I'll try and post a pic later today if I get the chance, but they're just one leaf seedlings in community pots right now anyway so they don't look like much.

Seems like it quacks just like a trianda... was the seed red and the size of trianda? Can't imagine the Palmfather getting stumped on a trianda... if it's a new species that's pretty cool.

It's definitely a similar palm to triandra, the fruits are red like the majority of Areca species are so that's not much of an indicator but I'm pretty sure they were a little bigger than the triandra seeds I've seen in the past. Appearance wise the two are similar but there are definitely differences when you see both species in person, the garden the picture was taken in has both palms. The fragrance is also entirely different on this palm then triandra. If Dransfield hadn't been stumped by this palm I wouldn't have been surprised at it being a variety of triandra, but I'm pretty confident that he'd have no problem identifying a triandra especially when in bloom.

Rory,

If possible, the next time you have some plants or seeds  for sale drop me a line. I don't always have time to go on palm talk. Thanks Ellis

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like it quacks just like a trianda... was the seed red and the size of trianda? Can't imagine the Palmfather getting stumped on a trianda... if it's a new species that's pretty cool.

Junior...aint no triandra.

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.