IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis heteromorpha seeds look wierd

MattyB

I wonder if Daryl's sp. 215 has this same sort of "beeerrroooop" shape to the seed?

IMG_0199.JPG

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Who knew they had such an odd shape?  Those seeds look very healthy, hope you are able to get some good germination rates on those.  This palm is a solid grower and not very common here in SoCal.  Mine has been in the ground for a couple of years and is now acclimated to full sun and suckering like crazy.  Still only about three or four feet tall though.

Nice picture Matty, they look like mini pears. Curious to see if they are identical to the "real" one described in POM.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

maybe I should cut one open to see if it's ruminate or ....ehh whatever the other term is

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

seed description matches perfectly.  even describes the deep-ruminate endosperm and "subequitorial depression" which I assume is referring to the "beerroooop" shape.  They really should use the proper terminology.

IMG_0203.JPG

IMG_0204.JPG

Edited by MattyB

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

sunnova...... stupid iphone

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Those are weird but awesome looking man! Congrats on reaching maturity! Now next step is time for same babies. :D

They look like green hearing aids, for Leprocahns.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

"heteromorpha" is the femininum of Greek ετερόμορφος and means "another form" which means "weird". So it is not strange that the seeds look weird. :D

thats funny Pal..

I like how you pointed that out :) 

Edited by Josh-O

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

pant pant pant

licky licky

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Matty, that's a nice looking crop of seed. Mine has been fruiting for 4 or 5 years now and you'll find that many will germinate pretty easy and fast.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Nice pics Matty...my 215 has different seeds to yours from the look of things...yours look like little green mangoes :mellow:

Here's some photos I took  a couple of months back...

DSC_5773-2.thumb.jpg.ce87daee04c739f963c

DSC_5761-2.thumb.jpg.f80bec75df15646404d

DSC_5769.thumb.jpg.f9fbec23a235ab868163f

Edited by Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Matt, yours don't look ripe yet. Find an embryo in any?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

just out of curiosity, would Matt's change shape when they ripen? My guess is they would keep the same shape.

Sunset zone 24

I would be surprise if the shape of the seed changes before it matures. Mine is holding fruit now also but look the shape that Daryl showed from his tree. I don't have an explanation. I do remember when collecting seed off of a species of Dypsis on one of my trips, the shape of the seed varied drastically. But that's a little different from the seed shape of all the seed on one tree compared to another tree of the same species.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff, since Dypsis heteromorpha are so variable would this explain the weird seed shape?

Sunset zone 24

Len, the one I cut open looked like it had an embryo.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

• 5 years later...
On 10/9/2015 at 12:05 PM, MattyB said:

I wonder if Daryl's sp. 215 has this same sort of "beeerrroooop" shape to the seed?

IMG_0199.JPG

On 10/10/2015 at 9:10 AM, LJG said:

If I remember right, Matty you told me these should be yellow when ripe when I asked you out in the water.  While mine did go from the green below to yellow, they are now more of this light brown color.  Did I leave them on too long?  I haven't tried cutting into any yet, just cleaned a few off and dropped them in a bucket to see if they were sinkers or floaters.  All were sinkers.  Did you have any success with any sprouting when harvested green?  Final note, mine do have the funky shape to them as well.

Anyone else who has experience with Dypsis heteromorpha seeds feel free to chime in.

20201228-BH3I2124.jpg

20200916-BH3I1101.jpg

20201228-BH3I2137.jpg

• Like 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

I was looking for an embryo, but don't see a head, arms or legs formed yet :unsure: ?  What do you see?

:floor:

20201230_154413.jpg

20201230_154545.jpg

20201230_154923.jpg

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation