IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lytocaryum insigne Seedlings 1½ year old

Pal Meir

Lytocaryum insigne seedlings remaining! Four 1½ year old seedlings to give away in Europe (max. 2 per person). Anyone interested? Present location is NW Germany, not far from NL. They are potted in 14.8×17.4 cm plastic containers.

5610068a0bc35_Syagrus_insignis_N14060709

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

As it seems at present, all the seedlings have been given away: They will go to Croatia, Italy, England, and Bosnia & Herzegovina.

Here another useful instructions: Leave the seedling in that pot and don’t repot it until it has grown to a suitable size. Water regularly with soft water, but don’t leave any water in the saucer: NO “wet feet”! The now used soil mix in the pots has an excellent drainage: cf. https://www.flickr.com/photos/palmeir/15804966142

• Upvote 1

Now I have received some informations regarding the customs regulations:

(1) It is not possible for me to send this material (living plant together with soil) outside the EU. So I can’t send this e.g. to Bosnia & Herzegovina. Sorry …:(

(2) Even inside the EU it may cause problems regarding the customs restrictions concerning "living material" and "non-sterile soil".

(3) These palms can hardly survive a transport lasting longer than one week. So I will try to send at first only one seedling to the first interested person (Croatia). I will get the packing tubes in the middle of this week. As soon as I get a feedback from the recipient that all is okay with the seedling after transport, I will send the next one (to Italy), etc.

(4) This procedure (1-3) is necessary, not only because packaging and shipping are complicated and not cheap, but above all because these rare seedlings are very valuable to me. – Here an update pic, taken today:

5611366cdccc3_Syagrus_insignis_140607091

• Upvote 1

I have just got 4 tubes for the shipment of the 4 Lyto insigne. So I can prepare the transport of the palms, making sure that the pots will fit in the tubes and can be fixed by cable ties. The size of the tubes is 15×61 cm. – The first palm will be sent on Monday 2015-10-12. I hope that Deutsche Post causes no problems …

Lyto_insigne_Freebies_01-04.thumb.jpg.38

Lyto_insigne_Tube.thumb.jpg.74d9bcdcd8dc

• Upvote 4

I agree with Josh's post above. You are very generous to give these away. This is extremely nice of you!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

CIAO/HELLO  PAL

1 photo of your lytocaryum Insigne, looked like small seedlings, but last picture I see that are already good size

GIUSEPPE

The weather forecast says that in the night from Sat. to Sun. the temps may drop near to freeze. So I started already today with packaging the 4 Lyto insigne. Here pics of the next 2 steps, showing that all 4 seedlings fit perfectly in the tubes:

Lyto_insigne_2015-10-10_4x.thumb.jpg.bac

Lyto_insigne_2015-10-10_Tubes.thumb.jpg.

• Upvote 3

wow!!!

is this your daytime job :P

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

After a chilly night (3°C; the seedlings were indoors :asleep:) the last packing procedure has also finished: The upper lids have been fixed and the handles made complete. Now they are waiting for their shipment on Monday … :unsure:

Lyto_insigne_2015-10-11_Ready.thumb.jpg.

All what I can do now is wishing them (and the new owners) good luck! :greenthumb:

561a412cbabcc_Gluxpilz_P1000906.thumb.jp

And after arrival of the seedlings at their destination …:D

How to open the tube: (1) Place the tube upright. (2) Cut the upper cable tie ("handle"), pull it out, and open the upper lid. (3) Cut the lower two cable ties and pull them out very slowly. (4) Loosen the lower lid; be careful there are staples! (5) Pull the tube very slowly upwards. (6) Welcome :wub: the little palm and post pictures on this thread on arrival. (7) Give your new baby ½ litre ca. 20°C lukewarm water and/or a lukewarm shower. :)

Following some further infos :greenthumb:: L. insigne likes ^_^ oxygen rich, light acidic soil and regular watering, but it hates :rage: wet soggy soil with too much humus, standing water, and alkaline, calcareous soil like limestone or other carbonates. In its habitat it grows on steep rocky slopes with best drainage in altitudes between 500 and 1,800 m, often near waterfalls, in a very humid atmosphere. The place should be very light, but when still young not too long in direct sun.

Since this Monday morning all 4 seedlings are on the way to their destinations. DHL (Deutsche Post) didn’t cause any problems yet. I hope the weather won’t too. We have now very chilly 1°C. And now it is YOUR side which is to keep us informed … :interesting:

• Upvote 1

OK, Croatian tube arrived in perfect condition and in record time.

IMAG5792_zpsiiijjlmv.jpg

Thanks to Pal Meirs packing system opening does require certain skills

IMAG5793_zps74qrmeqo.jpg

IMAG5795_zpssi2qua4k.jpg

but after all, this little fellow is more than welcome into Makarska riviera

IMAG5796_zpswb9kxuqf.jpg

THANK YOU PAL MEIR

Ante

:greenthumb:

• Upvote 2

One nice thing about tubes like that is they hold heat well, at least for a while, especially inside of a plane or other vehicle.

I've shipped some tender stuff airmail with little problems, even the dead of winter.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Hello Pal
today arrived your lytocaryum  insigne !
It is arrived in excellent condition, packing super perfect
now we must do everything to keep him alive
here night temperatures still warm,still not put in the house for now,the air outdoor  do well

as soon as possible, I  some photos
thanks again

GIUSEPPE

These palms grow also in Teresópolis / RJ; below the temps of that city. – But please avoid any risk: A Lytocaryum insigne is not a Phoenix or Butia, it does NOT forget any mistake in treatment (a little bit like a woman)! ;)

561ff4801f017_Teresopolis_RJ.thumb.jpg.8

• Upvote 1

Success story #4, Pal!

The palm arrived yesterday and I unpacked it and gave it a good spray with tepid water. It looks happy... now I have to try to keep it that way!

A million thanks again for this very special palm and the impeccable packing you provided!

IMG_5006.JPG

• Upvote 2

Hello Pal
today arrived your lytocaryum  insigne !
It is arrived in excellent condition, packing super perfect
now we must do everything to keep him alive
here night temperatures still warm,still not put in the house for now,the air outdoor  do well

as soon as possible, I  some photos
thanks again

Three days later … :interesting:

• Like 1

Another update from London...

On Friday last week I marked the spear of the new leaf and I'm pleased to say that as of this morning, it has grown a whole 5mm over the weekend :greenthumb:

IMG_5026.JPG

• Upvote 1

That’s really good news! :greenthumb::)

Your N°1409 was "born" on 2014-03-12. Here a photo from 2014-04-01, when it was still a very, very little baby, showing only the hardly visible tip of its first plumule (on the left side of the cotyledonary sheath):

Syagrus_insignis_1409_2014-04-01_IMG_770

• Upvote 1

Another update from London...

On Friday last week I marked the spear of the new leaf and I'm pleased to say that as of this morning, it has grown a whole 5mm over the weekend :greenthumb:

And here the curriculum vitae of your N° 1409: :D

Syagrus_insignis_1409_data.thumb.jpg.e4c

• Upvote 2