IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

End of an Era

Daryl

Well, the time has come to move on from my 4th palm garden....time to start afresh and create a new garden, hopefully learning from past mistakes and improving upon things!

House is sold and now time to find a new property and start all over...

A little sadness, but a lot of enthusiasm and energy to create a new 'paradise' to live in.

After 19 years at my current address it will take some time to adjust, but it should all be good fun!

I have had the Ratpack around for the last couple of weeks helping me sort through things, and re-pot my potted collection, amongst other things, so many thanks in particular to Andy Green who has helped me a lot, as well as Mike Green, and recently Paul (Comic) has been very generous in giving up his Saturdays and helping out.

It is amazing how much stuff you accumulate over the years, and I didn't realise how many potted palms I had in my collection. I am so glad I didn't plant them in the ground!

Today we started with the move, and will complete this over the next 2 weeks...what a huge task it is!

I will post some photos here, and forgive me, but I will also do some 'Before and After' photos of my garden as it has appeared over the years

Fortunately I should have some nice palms to start my next garden with...and look forward to getting stuck into creating Palm Garden number 5!

An old convict song comes to mind...

Farewell to my old garden forever
Farewell to my rum culls as well
Farewell to the well known Old Baileyana
Where I used for to cut such a swell

Singing Tooral liooral liaddity
Singing Tooral liooral liay
Singing Tooral liooral liaddity
And we're bound for Botany Bay

There's the captain as is our commander
There's the bosun and all the ship's crew
There's the first and the second class passengers
Knows what we poor husbands go through

Taint leaving old garden we cares about
Taint cos we mis-spells what we knows
But because all we light fingered gentry
Hops around with a log on our toes

These nineteen long years I've been serving now
And nineteen long more have to stay
All for bashing a bloke down our alley
And taking his ticker away

Oh had I the wings of a turtle dove
I'd soar on my pinions so high
Slap bang to the arms of my Polly love
And in her sweet presence I'd die

Now all my young Dookies and Dutchesses
Take warning from what I've to say
Mind all is your own as you toucheses
Or you'll find us in Botany Bay 

Daryl

Andy Green with Dypsis

IMG_8711.JPG.cf249f0450864364d0eb9f707b4

• Upvote 2

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Best wishes for Palm Garden number 5!

Looking forward to seeing before and after pics, potted and planted collection.

Will you have to leave the Bismarckia  we can see on the left of the picture?

But you'll travel with the Dypsis? 

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Daryl, 

A bit sad I'm sure but I'm also sure wherever you end up next will be a place where you will be happy. Starting a fresh garden is definately not a bad thing! While you may not have many big established palms I find it much more fun to watch the younger ones grow. 

Best of luck for your next garden, I hope your plans come to fruition for you!

Sorry I was not available to help recently, I'm glad paul and the Green boys were able too!!

Would be hard to leave behind Daryl but i know you will create something amazing in your new place and hopefully a bit less work to maintain and more manageable.

Cheers Troy

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

the good news is you have a great growing climate...

your new garden will be popping in now time mate!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Good luck with it all Daryl, during the past 20 years I moved from Cairns to Bundaberg to Mackay to Cloncurry to Tannum Sands and now I am here.......determined not to move again for a long time !!!.......... It is hard leaving treasures behind but it is fun starting a new garden again and building that new piece of paradise.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

It is never too late to begin a new garden.  Best wishes to you in your new adventure.

Is the move far or near?

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Sifting through some old photos...these were the first palms I planted here...

Carpentaria triple

2012-08-18_0.thumb.jpg.9e4d502f240cb0bcb

What it looks like these days...

DSC_1939.thumb.jpg.5eb84e4ef3898393e26ae

DSC_9635.thumb.jpg.9429eabe95774da15eddb

Edited by Daryl
  • Upvote 1

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Sifting through some old photos...these were the first palms I planted here...

Carpentaria triple

2012-08-18_0.thumb.jpg.9e4d502f240cb0bcb

What it looks like these days...

DSC_1939.thumb.jpg.5eb84e4ef3898393e26ae

DSC_9635.thumb.jpg.9429eabe95774da15eddb

awesomeawesome!

:greenthumb:

Can't wait to see pics of the new future garden

Your photos show why the best time to plant trees is 20 years ago. Congratulations on your move! 

Cindy Adair

these were the first palms I planted here… Carpentaria triple

Very interesting to see the before and after pictures and notice the distance you planted these young Carpentaria and how it looks years later.

Many thanks.

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Holy cow!  Those pictures tell a story, don't they!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Daryl, are you digging any of your in ground palms? You had some gems in that garden.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

past some pic's of your new garden canvas. it will be cool to watch it transform

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

All the best with your move Daryl. Leaving a beautiful established garden behind is a heart wrenching thing for us palm/garden people, especially when you consider how hard some of these plants can be to obtain and grow well. But as others have already said, your next garden will rise to new heights of awesomeness as you recreate with greater experience and know how.

Are you moving far away? Is it to a good climate?

I still haven't fully shifted from my Perth house yet. I have potted stuff I just haven't had time to collect. I added up how far we've travelled to move everything down here and it's around 6000km so far. I know that highway very well.

All the best, and when you get sorted, show us your before pictures of your new property as you get the ball rolling.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Thanks for the comments and kind wishes everyone.

Kim, the new place will be in the same area, more or less...about 15 minutes away.  Next place will be more elevated and warmer hopefully.

Len, I have to leave the garden intact unfortunately, and most of my collection is too large to move anyway (unless I had thousands to spend on machinery!)

Best just to take my potted collection and one or two of my treasures with me. The new owners are going to rent the house out for a year, so who knows what condition the garden will be in then...also they are thinking of putting in a pool amongst the palmiest part of the garden...nice idea but bound to be a few casualties from construction work...so we'll see what happens...

Philippe, the Bismarckia will definitely be staying! 

One thing I know, never go back and check out your old garden...unless you want to be heartbroken!

I really do look forward to the next one though...I am thinking of resurrecting 'Daryl's Palm Page' from years ago, and documenting the new garden as I go! 

I will put up a few more before and after photos as I sift through my old collection of photos...Cindy, you are correct...get those palms in as soon as you can eh!

And Kim, there are many, many stories to tell about this place...

Daryl

Hi Dayrl, I will be entering every photo you paste, as well as notations to go with them, so don't worry Dayrl, I've got you covered, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Ed, it is Dypsis leucomalla

Good luck with your move Daryl. I just left a 8 year old garden & I can't imagine leaving one as old as yours. The best thing about a fresh start is the knowledge learned from the old.

Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

I want to cry, but I have faith you will create a new fantastic place.. :) Able to dig out the Lemur??

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Hi Daryl, glad to see you landed on your feet. Paul (comic) told me about some of the guys coming over to help remove and relocate some of your favorite palms. Geeze, what a nice gesture from a close knit group of 'mates.' One doesn't often get the chance to start another new garden, let alone five times, but I bet you have some great ideas in mind. 

Hopefully I'll get to see your new place and maybe plant another palm. This was good news Daryl, best on ya. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Ed, it is Dypsis leucomalla

Thanks Daryl, all photo descriptions from this move will start with...Daryl moves after 20 years. Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Its sad news indeed.  Although, I'm sure your new garden will be bigger and better than the last.  Do you plan on living in the same area or are you moving further afield?

Steve, the next place will hopefully be a little smaller and more manageable in several ways...

Hoping to stay in the Gold Coast Hinterland...depends on price of course...

Here's another before and after shot...normally you can't see through, but the Poinciana is in dry season mode so visibility is good!

This was taken in about 1999 or 2000

backg-030999-5.thumb.jpg.a9909d695ab5843

DSC_3282-2.thumb.jpg.c81ea3bc89199bac555

DSC_3334.thumb.jpg.844eaf58b49ad9c01701e

One of my Chambeyronia 'hookeris'

2012-08-18_5.thumb.jpg.25d0eee153b936e94

Growth hasn't been the greatest as it is on poor soil and doesn't get watered...but it has survived for 19 years in this position. I rescued this palm from my last garden as it almost got washed away down the creek. It was only holding on by 2 roots, and was growing upside down for a while...hence the twisted look to it...

DSC_3290.thumb.jpg.7348eca1d960a9781623c

• Upvote 1

The good thing about starting over is how much you learned about what you do and don't like, and how to improve upon past projects. Those before & afters are great.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

19 years is a long time, but I would be excited for another chance to sculpt out a new paradise... are you going somewhere better, rainfall wise?

• 3 weeks later...

Good luck with your move Daryl. I just left a 8 year old garden & I can't imagine leaving one as old as yours. The best thing about a fresh start is the knowledge learned from the old.

Randy

My thoughts exactly, don't believe I could leave voluntarily. My plans are to stay here until my end. Just throw my old worn out body in the compost bin and feed my palms. Then I'll haunt the place to keep the palms safe from chainsaws and Bobcats.

Edited by Moose

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I just left my 13 yr old garden last yr. Terrifying but exciting..a do over of sorts for past mistakes. Best of luck! Embrace the change, it's invigorating once that garden bug bites again.

Bren in South St. Pete Florida