IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cougar on a power pole, California

DoomsDave

Here's a picture of a mountain lion "treed" on a power pole in Lucerne Valley, California.

Here's the story on MSN: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mountain-lion-perched-on-power-pole-captured-in-rare-photo/ar-AAeYqoo?li=AAa0dzB

http://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/AAeYQAM.img?h=400&w=290&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

Edited by DoomsDave
  • Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Put a saucer of milk down and he’ll come down,… I mean meat, works every time with my kitty. 

Edited by Palm crazy

Aw, heck, just shin on up there, blow in his face and pluck one of his whiskers . . . .

• Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Aw, heck, just shin on up there, blow in his face and pluck one of his whiskers . . . .

:yay: LOL!  Don’t temp me.  Nice healthy mountain lion.  I new someone who had one as a pet, very big scary paws, and he knew he was the real boss!

Never in my life would I want one. 

Looks like some potential compost Dave!

Someone's going to be compost. Or cat-doody.

According to National Geographic, there's a mountain lion permanently residing in Griffith Park, LA. That's the city lights in the background. This picture was taken with a "booby trap" camera.

The%20lights%20of%20Hollywood%20glow%20behind%20P-22%2C%20a%20125-pound%20mountain%20lion%20in%20Griffith%20Park.%20The%20photo%20was%20taken%20by%20Steve%20Winter%20with%20a%20remote%20trail%20camera%20and%20will%20be%20published%20in%20December%27s%20National%20Geographic%20magazine.%20Winter%27s%20work%20will%20appear%20in%20%22The%20Power%20of%20Photography%3A%20National%20Geographic%20125%20Years%u201D%20at%20the%20Annenberg%20Space%20for%20Photography%2C%20opening%20Oct.%2026.%20%28Steve%20Winter%20/%20National%20Geographic%29

I ment somenthing else by couguar.

That kind can be most dangerous of all.

I ment somenthing else by couguar.

That kind can be most dangerous of all.

Especially on a pole....

OMG too funny Pando. We have dem cats down hear (we call them panthers...) but I have never seen one. There are motion cameras along some stretches of road. Anyone know where to find those pics?

Edited by Ken Johnson

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

Hmm.

Hijack my own thread!

If there's cougars, could there be, coug-ees? Can one be coug'd?

FYI.....and a cougar, for the more adventurous in the group...

http://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-mountain-lion-and-vs-puma/

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Hmm.

Hijack my own thread!

If there's cougars, could there be, coug-ees? Can one be coug'd?

One can be Coug'd...ask any Washington State football fan.

aren't cougars about 38-45 yrs old and prowl night clubs after dark??

:mrlooney:

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

aren't cougars about 38-45 yrs old and prowl night clubs after dark??

:mrlooney:

Read a few posts up Josh, we were trying to keep it subtle..... :P

Edited by Pando

Buncha polecats here...

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

We've had lots of sitings here in Modesto and there are a lot roaming California.

A couple of years ago, fish and game caught one downtown modesto, in an area were a river runs through town.

Geniuses Made a spot determination that it must be a pet escapee since Modesto is 20 miles away from the closest hills.

It never calmed down.

It wouldn't eat in captivity and died not long after capture.

Posthumously, they decided it might have been wild.

Idiots.

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

We've had lots of sitings here in Modesto and there are a lot roaming California.

A couple of years ago, fish and game caught one downtown modesto, in an area were a river runs through town.

Geniuses Made a spot determination that it must be a pet escapee since Modesto is 20 miles away from the closest hills.

It never calmed down.

It wouldn't eat in captivity and died not long after capture.

Posthumously, they decided it might have been wild.

Idiots.

The police in Santa Monica shot and killed a mountain lion there in 2012.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/may/24/local/la-me-0524-mountain-lion-20120524

Apparently, unlike other critters, they get super agitated when you dart them. This one was for sure wild, likely resident in the Santa Monica Mountains, which are about 15 miles north of the city of SM.

They don't take city life well, which is just as well. There's plenty of wild here in California for them, since we like to crowd into dense urban spaces.