IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Citrus Questions

Scot from SC

Hello all. I have a few citrus trees in my yard (Citrumelo, Thomasville, and an unknown one), as well as a few going out in the yard next year (Gou Tou, Keraji, etc.), but I ordered some different ones from Woodlander's last night, and I need some input please.

Even though there are good descriptions on the webpages, I wanted to know if anyone had any personal experience with any of these?

1) Citrus (Citrus X) Citrus x meyeri "Myer"-I figure this one will be a container citrus for me. Will the regular version be happy in a large container?

2) Citrus x Fortunella "Sunquat"-I will plant it in the yard next year even though it says it is a great container grown citrus. Should I keep it in a container?

3) Citrus reticulata "NuClem"-This should be a fun one.

4) Citrus reticulata "Changsha"-This one sounds like it has tasty fruit!

Thank you in advance!

Try a variety of Satsuma . They can take temps down to 15 with little or no damage. Also they ripen in Nov.

Palms not just a tree also a state of mind

Try a variety of Satsuma . They can take temps down to 15 with little or no damage. Also they ripen in Nov.

x2. Satsuma owari is the first that comes to mind.

I have no experience with the others.

most of the ones you mentioned arent real sweet citrus --- they are more like limes or lemons ----- Myers has taken alot of cold in Jax down below 15F  ---- the best thing to do is to sleeve the trunk and if you  get a real hard freeze you will protect the graft. Satsumas and Kumquats can take alot of cold maybe down to 12F.   I have some grapefruits tangerines and satsumas that survived the freezes of the 1980s down to 11F or so but I sleeved them at the time. Good luck

• 2 years later...

My Meyer Lemon Tree is in a large container inside of my house since I cannot plant it outside. They don’t seem to need much space.

3 hours ago, Jotoqi said:

I started a Meyer Lemon Tree from seed 3 1/2 years ago. I am in zone 7a and it is doing just fine.

I like to start citrus from seed as well.  But I think I remember reading where Meyer lemon would not come true from seed.  I don't think you've got fruit yet, but it would be interesting to see what the characteristics of the fruit are.  One of the good characteristics is the cold hardiness, but since you are container growing that won't matter!  My sunquat (or lemonquat) Citrus x Fortunella came through 20º with almost no damage unprotected.  Hope you get some decent fruit off yours.

Jon Sunder

Scot,

I tried three citrus from woodlanders - NuClem, Calamandarin, and Dunstan.  I planted all 3 in spring 2016 and got bit by the late freeze in 2017.  We saw 22F after they had leafed out.  Calamandarin died back to the 1/2" main stem but regrew vigorously.  NuClem and Dunstan of the same size were killed to the ground.  NuClem survived (barely) and Dunstan did not.  Too soon for a final say, but looks like they were fare less damaged at 13/14F this year - the freeze was not preceded by warm weather.

I'm going to try 'changsha' too but it's not planted out yet.

Steve

• 3 years later...
  • 8 months later...
On 2/6/2018 at 7:16 PM, Fusca said:

I like to start citrus from seed as well.  But I think I remember reading where Meyer lemon would not come true from seed.  I don't think you've got fruit yet, but it would be interesting to see what the characteristics of the fruit are.  One of the good characteristics is the cold hardiness, but since you are container growing that won't matter!  My sunquat (or lemonquat) Citrus x Fortunella came through 20º with almost no damage unprotected.  Hope you get some decent fruit off yours.

Any updates on the sunquat?

On 10/30/2021 at 6:30 PM, amh said:

Any updates on the sunquat?

After the freeze (unprotected) it froze to the ground.  It came back from the roots and has rebounded to around 6' overall height.  It flowered for the first time last November but not surprisingly hasn't flowered since.  It was grown from seed so basically the same plant except with multiple trunks.

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

2 hours ago, Fusca said:

After the freeze (unprotected) it froze to the ground.  It came back from the roots and has rebounded to around 6' overall height.  It flowered for the first time last November but not surprisingly hasn't flowered since.  It was grown from seed so basically the same plant except with multiple trunks.

I'd love to get some seeds from you when it starts producing.

On 2/8/2021 at 12:24 PM, fruitgirl2021 said:

You should try citrus.com, they give growing tips and you can buy trees and dwarf trees specific to your growing zone. 

Thanks for the link...

Butch

On 11/1/2021 at 4:26 PM, amh said:

I'd love to get some seeds from you when it starts producing.

Here's a pic from yesterday.

IMG_20211102_112327.jpg

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

23 hours ago, Fusca said:

Here's a pic from yesterday.

IMG_20211102_112327.jpg

Good recovery, you could probably train it into an interesting tree. I only had 1 grafted kumquat survive, but I planted 2 seed grown meiwas that bloomed last year. I have a bunch of 1gallon mandrinquats that I'll eventually plant, but I will likely have extras.

The single trunk on the original plant was about 4x the thickness of any of the multiple trunks post-recovery which are still somewhat green and bend easily. 

Jon Sunder