IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Recommended Palminess for Houston?

Xerarch

I'll be in Houston from this evening to the middle of next week, looks like I'll have some free time on Tuesday. Are there some palmy (or other) sites that would be good to check out? I'll be in the downtown-ish area and my transportation will be limited to public transportation.  I wouldn't mind checking out Galveston since that's where I assume the best palms are but I'm doubtful that there is a reasonable way to get there with public transit, please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks in advance. 

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

My two favorite places to see palms in Houston would be Mercer Arboretum in North Houston, or, if you are headed to Galveston, Moody Gardens has a pretty neat variety to check out.

Google Maps is returning a 1:52 long ride on "Amtrak Thruway Connecting Service" from Houston to Galveston.  I presume this is a bus.  Given that the ride won't be pretty, I can't say I recommend this, but it would be a way to get to Galveston.

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

Public transit isn't going to get you anywhere :lol:...the zoo has some nice stuff though (take the metrorail), don't skip the bird garden

Edited by Xenon

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Oh yeah

I remember roaring through the Hugetown in 1979 and saw the CIDPs in the freeway interchanges while the Pennzoil Place (now?) towered overhead.

Galveston rocks, yes, but get thee to the Valley

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

RGV is a loooong way from here, but I would surely like to make it there one day, just won't be this time.  FYI, so far I am pleased with the amount of P. dacty plantings around town, more than I had expected. 

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Ammon, I definitely recommend visiting Mercer Arboretum. I haven't been there in a couple of years, but the collection back then was amazing. It's one of my favorite palm gardens. They lose a few palms every year, but plant even more stuff. And then lose some. And then plant again. So you never know. Also you have to really walk the entire garden to find all the palms as some aren't easy to find. In Sept. 2013 they had Sabal bermudana, S. palmetto, S. mexicana, S. x brazoriensis, S. minor, S. minor "Louisiana", S. guatemalensis, S. causiarum, S. mauritiiformis, S. uresana, Coccothrinax crinita, Phoenix dactylifera, Phoenix canariensis, Phoenix reclinata, Phoenix sylvestris, Phoenix roebelenii, Trachycarpus fortunei, Trachycarpus fortunei "wagnerianus", Chamaerops humilis var. humilis, Rhapidophyllum hystrix, Rhapis excelsa, Rhapis multifida, Guihaia grossefibrosa, Livistona chinensis, Livistona australis, Livistona decora, Livistona saribus, Acoelorrhaphe wrightii, Serenoa repens, Brahea armata, Brahea aculeata, Brahea dulcis, Washingtonia x filibusta, Nannorrhops ritchieana, Arenga engleri, Bismarckia nobilis, Chamaedorea plumosa, Chamaedorea microspadix, Butia odorata, Syagrus romanzoffiana, x Butyagrus nabonnandii, x Parajubautia cocoides x odorata. And dozens of cycad species. 

That sounds like a pretty good list for Houston!

Ammon, I definitely recommend visiting Mercer Arboretum. I haven't been there in a couple of years, but the collection back then was amazing. It's one of my favorite palm gardens. They lose a few palms every year, but plant even more stuff. And then lose some. And then plant again. So you never know. Also you have to really walk the entire garden to find all the palms as some aren't easy to find. In Sept. 2013 they had Sabal bermudana, S. palmetto, S. mexicana, S. x brazoriensis, S. minor, S. minor "Louisiana", S. guatemalensis, S. causiarum, S. mauritiiformis, S. uresana, Coccothrinax crinita, Phoenix dactylifera, Phoenix canariensis, Phoenix reclinata, Phoenix sylvestris, Phoenix roebelenii, Trachycarpus fortunei, Trachycarpus fortunei "wagnerianus", Chamaerops humilis var. humilis, Rhapidophyllum hystrix, Rhapis excelsa, Rhapis multifida, Guihaia grossefibrosa, Livistona chinensis, Livistona australis, Livistona decora, Livistona saribus, Acoelorrhaphe wrightii, Serenoa repens, Brahea armata, Brahea aculeata, Brahea dulcis, Washingtonia x filibusta, Nannorrhops ritchieana, Arenga engleri, Bismarckia nobilis, Chamaedorea plumosa, Chamaedorea microspadix, Butia odorata, Syagrus romanzoffiana, x Butyagrus nabonnandii, x Parajubautia cocoides x odorata. And dozens of cycad species. 

Are you sure that x Parajubautia cocoides x odorata isn't Butia X Parajubaea cocoides?

Tom Birt - Casas Adobes, AZ

Hi 104, Lo 68

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego