IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Canary island grow advice

palm789

So i noticed my CiDP is still young from when i bought it back in june,and it does not have a trunk yet just the main petioles with the sharp leaves.

Is there a way to speed up the growth either now or spring so i can get to see some more trunk and enhance its hardiness?

Back in june i changed pot from the small original plastic pot to a ceremic pot 2 inch bigger (i read instructions about pot size). and i fed it once a week with miracle gro multi purpose feed and i also watered it when the top of soil was dry.but nothing has seemed to budge.

Any advice?

Unless you bought a large one, You won't see "trunk" for some time. I have a few in pots in my zone 5b area and even my largest isn't showing truck.  

I do know mine like any extra water they get, although the soil mix they are in drains really well. We've had a very wet summer here and so far they have loved it.

So i noticed my CiDP is still young from when i bought it back in june,and it does not have a trunk yet just the main petioles with the sharp leaves.

Is there a way to speed up the growth either now or spring so i can get to see some more trunk and enhance its hardiness?

Back in june i changed pot from the small original plastic pot to a ceremic pot 2 inch bigger (i read instructions about pot size). and i fed it once a week with miracle gro multi purpose feed and i also watered it when the top of soil was dry.but nothing has seemed to budge.

Any advice?

I would hope that the pot you are considering is at least 12 meter across. These palms are massive and if you are looking for trunking, this would be, in my opinion, the absolute minimum size for it to have a chance of achieving a trunk.

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

i dont live by any retailers that sell pots do you have a picture of an ideal size i indend to grow this palm to up about 4 -5 foot with some trunk at the moment its only 1 foot in height.

Here is a picture of my largest one. Good size but still far, far from trunking and it's in a 15 gallon plastic container.  I've seen them much larger than mine in the ground that still weren't trunking. The hope for mine is simply to have a great looking CIDP that has a beautiful crown of fronds.

DSCF9740.JPG

mine does not even have the base of the trunk grown yet like yours does sasha just the petioles grown into the soil.will take a picture in the morning,but like i said i am a bit worried if it will survive the winter since its small i put it into a frostprotected pot.But am unable to bring it indoors as we got a small apartment and we have animals also.

Any advice?

I would hope that the pot you are considering is at least 12 meter across. These palms are massive and if you are looking for trunking, this would be, in my opinion, the absolute minimum size for it to have a chance of achieving a trunk.

Typo...1 meter in diameter, not 12. Clumsy fingers.....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

are those your personal palms Pal?

they look very healthy:greenthumb:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

are those your personal palms Pal?

they look very healthy:greenthumb:

They were (past tense!) my personal palms. The photos were taken in 1989 in Marburg/Germany. The smaller Phoenix and the Washingtonia on the right (besides many other palms) were transfered in 1993 to the Botanical Garden of Ruhr-Universität Bochum. (I hope they are still alive.)

The large CIDP didn’t survive the winter 1992/93: Because it was too havy (more than 100 kg) the personal of Philipps-Universität Marburg didn’t transport it indoors.:badday:

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

CIDP's rock!  fast growers, cold hardy, don't mind a lot of water but don't mind going dry either. Humidity? no problem (unlike silver date palm) and best of all...they are cheap!

Edited by sashaeffer

I agree with you Scott..

Pal, sorry to hear that your CIDP didn't make it in doors for the winter :( 

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24