IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My germination projects

Mohsen

My 6 months seeding is fine on cactus soil and coarse sand

DSC09091.thumb.JPG.e37aa3d1fb81a460df02f

• Upvote 4

08053.gif

On 21 November 2016 at 4:57:26 AM, Pal Meir said:

The seedling was half a year old in Dec 1986; it was potted only in cacti soil. Later I potted it into ca. 3/4 Seramis; BTW Seramis is burnt loam. — I tried to keep that palm by root pruning as long as possible as a small bonsai:

5831e3b245318_Brahea2007-12-23.thumb.jpg

Very nice looking Brahea Pal,

BTW, I have noticed many of the pots has weeds or grass? Did you leave them like that on purpose? As I thought they might get water and other nutriotions from that plant ?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mohsen said:

Very nice looking Brahea Pal,

BTW, I have noticed many of the pots has weeds or grass? Did you leave them like that on purpose? As I thought they might get water and other nutriotions from that plant ?

The weed was not a good idea; It served a bit as protection for the soil against our heavy rainfalls and thunderstorms we had.

• Upvote 1

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

On 9/10/2016, 11:34:46, Mohsen said:

Update 9-9-2016

Pal, @Pal Meir this triple is in a very tiny pot (6 cm diameter , 6 cm dept ) , when should I repot them?

image.jpeg

I pot them up today :

IMG_8916.JPG

IMG_8915.JPG

IMG_8914.JPG

IMG_8913.JPG

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 26 March 2016 at 5:49:21 PM, Mohsen said:

So far so good with Hedyscepe :)

image.jpg

Hedyscepe,

Update, 6 Jan 2017,

it is interesting that the first leaf is decided , but it is super slow, waited for months to have this :)

image.jpeg

• Upvote 8

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/09/2015, 7:39:21, Mohsen said:

It seems I am having my first sprout :)

I just put these Phoenix canariensis seeds in zip bag with wet paper towel and today I checked and as you see I can see some roots …

Please let me know, should I move them to pot right now or wait for the green shoot appears too ?

IMG_2798.JPG

Update on Phoenix canariensis, after 16 months ...I have some devided leaves now :) 

IMG_0193.JPG

IMG_0194.JPG

• Upvote 4

• 1 month later...
On 06/01/2017, 8:25:54, Mohsen said:

Hedyscepe,

Update, 6 Jan 2017,

it is interesting that the first leaf is decided , but it is super slow, waited for months to have this :)

image.jpeg

Great Job with the Hedyscepe seeds

Where did you get those from -can't think of anyone that has them in Australia. 

• Upvote 3

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

9 minutes ago, Tassie_Troy1971 said:

Great Job with the Hedyscepe seeds

Where did you get those from -can't think of anyone that has them in Australia. 

Thanks Troy

I think I bought it from Ebay or collected from Royal Botanic Garden?

This is the only one survived, all been killed by mold :( 

• 3 months later...
On 01/11/2016, 11:30:17, Pal Meir said:

I would repot them now (or the smaller ones a bit later) in the L weddellianum mix, i.e. 2/3 fine pine bark + 1/3 Seramis + 1 cm LECA layer on the bottom. You don’t need a nano-greenhouse if you water them adequately and use that well draining soil mix.

58188aab0d561_ArecatriandraMohsen.thumb.

Update to my Areca triandra ,

11 June 2017

second Plumule is appearing now :) 

its in my greenhouse but outside no heating ...I hope they will get through winter unharmed, 

IMG_0640.JPG

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

Update to my Areca triandra ,

11 June 2017

second Plumule is appearing now :) 

its in my greenhouse but outside no heating ...I hope they will get through winter unharmed, 

IMG_0640.JPG

Not the 2nd plumule, but the 2nd LEAF:

IMG_0640.JPG.6a9d5da139470992950d46df0c7

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Not the 2nd plumule, but the 2nd LEAF:

IMG_0640.JPG.6a9d5da139470992950d46df0c7

Thanks Pal for the correction ...

BRW, Do you have experiences with them and are they good choice for keep in pot for a long time ?

3 hours ago, Mohsen said:

Thanks Pal for the correction ...

BRW, Do you have experiences with them and are they good choice for keep in pot for a long time ?

No own experience, only with A catechu which was growing too fast too tall for indoors …

• Upvote 1

update on my Chamaedorea tepejilote - 13-6-2017 ( Got seeds from Steve when I visited his Garden)  @Palms4Steve

so far the seem very strong even when they were just sprout out of the seeds...

I am not sure if they can be kept to pot will the flowering stages and how fast growers are they?

IMG_0641.JPG

• Upvote 4

• 10 months later...

Awesome success here!

I want to share something strange. I have seedling of three headed Adonidia merrillii and two headed Veitchia arecina. Both came from 1 seed and 1 sprout only. This happened after a month, maybe two after germination! Does anyone have experiences with this mutation? 

Happy growing!

Vojtech

received_1924200450932808.jpeg

received_1924200437599476.jpeg

received_1924200704266116.jpeg

received_1924200774266109.jpeg

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...

Anyone has experience with Veitchia Joannis seeds? I have mine in a propagator over a heat mat. Some are in perlite, some in potting soil with perlite, some in moss. Temperature must be around 28C in the propagator. No signs of life yet after 2 months. Is that normal? Seeds were collected in October according to the seller.

I must confess that in the beginning I did not water the pots regularly and the soil went totally dry. Now I make sure that doesn't happen.

With pure perlite and pure sphagnum moss, should I water daily?

previously known as ego