IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachycarpus Advice

palm789

Hi guys i am thinking of buying a trachycarpus fortunei but i am not sure if this is the right season to do so as its autumn, and also i dont want them too tall in high i would like it to stay at a certain height but as this is a fast growing palm is there anyway to hinder its growth and slow it down dramatically.

I do prefer the fortunei though but as they like half shade and half sun would it be ideal to keep it in the shade while keeping it pot bound for life in the same size pot or do i have to change pots? will that hinder growth of the trunk and fronds without killing the plant as i am about to order one at a nice size of 4-5foot high and i want to keep it that size.

I am new to gardening and palms and such i am clueless so thats why i am asking these questions :)

Sounds like a challenge to keep a Trachycarpus fortunei the same size for ever. They are steady growers in sun or shade. I guess you could just not give any fertilizer and minimal extra water. That may risk inducing a state of decline depending on your climate and soil. In turn ruining the palms appeal. 

How about just planting it in the shade and sheltered from winds in the a north facing garden, (i have seen a beautiful looking one 3-4 foot with a solid thick trunk with lush green leaves in a north facing front garden in shade) and also relying on only the rain to water it and only water when it does not rain but very rarely and not using any fertilisers besides the fert that naturally comes with johninnes no2 compost after i repot it which lasts only 6 weeks.how about not changing the pot at all?

I have young Trachycarpus takil here grown from seeds I collected in Kalamuni, India, in 2011. Trachycarpus fortunei is one of the best palms for NW Europe and the UK. Best to plant them in spring, but in milder areas, and when you get a bigger specimem grown outside you can plant it now also.

Alexander

If you want to grow a palm wich stays small you could plant Chamaerops humillis, but its less coldhardy then Trachycarpus fortunei. Till about -12 C. But when planted at a sunny southside of a building is should be fine. In the UK it grows actually very well in the milder coastal areas of the South. And its one of those palms wich grow well in cooler climates.

Alexander

Thanks for advice i already have chamaerops humilis vulcano (dwarf) and a normal multitrunk chamaerops humilis multitrunk and a small phoenix canariensis,just want the trachycarpus fortunei as i think they have trunk and the way the fronds bend catches my eye.this is the last palm i am buying for my soon to be exotic garden. but i want all my palms to reach about 3-4 foot in a nice pot i dont want them too big as i live in a communal area.any more tips to dramatically slow down growth please post here thanks.

Maybe a better strategy would be to get one smaller than the ultimate size you want and then enjoy it until it becomes too big for your area.  You could then sell or trade it (use an online site like Craigslist or go back to where you bought it?) and start all over with a smaller plant when the time comes.  Be sure you plant it in a pot which the opening is the widest part, no urn shapes with fatter mid sections, so you can easily remove it when it is time to sell or trade down to a smaller palm.  

If you drain the soil of nutrients windmills will come to a standstill.   Plant the palm in a raised bed with few tomatoes plants next to it and your trachycarpus will be in slow motion. 

well i did noticed a neighbour of mine has done similar but with his chamaerops and canary island palm,they are planted in big raised planters with lots of bright flowers going around.i wouldnt like to use tomato plants i would prefer a tropical flower to be honest

I mention tomatoes because they are heavy fruiters and will suck all of the nutrients out in one year. I found this out by accident one year when my dog buried last year's tomatoes by the palm and my wife refused to remove them. I keep detailed growth data on my palms and trees at the house and after growing 6-8" of trunk every year for the last 6 years it dropped to 1". The next year despite heavy fertilizer it only grew 2" this year. Hopefully I can get the growth rate back up next year. 

I have found that grape vines do the same. 

why would you want to slow this palm down?

In your climate they will grow slowly anyways.

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

are you worried about it growing into power lines or hitting your neighbors roof?

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

No i wanted it a reasonable size just incase i ever move homes in the future so i can always take it with me. :)

Tracys dig very well. no need to worry. put it in the ground and set it free...free...free :D

Sunset zone 24